6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2014 1:59 PM by hadleythom RSS

Retain wireless password

hadleythom

Is there anyway for the HR44-500 (Genie) DVR to retain the wireless password. My DVR drops the connection to the wireless router every few days and I have to reconnect and reenter the password. My PC's, iPhone & iPad remember the password and and reconnect without my entering the password. Any suggestion ?  Thank you.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.  I also would have trouble using Ethernet cable since the DVR and DSL modem are at opposite ends of my house. I was hopping to find out if someone had a way to get password retention in the DVR. Hopefully in a future DVR design, this retention capability will be added.  Thanks. I've also tried a couple of wireless extenders to form a bridge between the DVR and DSL modem and I have still lost the wireless connection to the extenders on the DVR. The wireless modem has a pretty good signal at the DVR at least most of the time (As measured by the DVR).

Message was edited by: hadleythom

• Re: Retain wireless password
    shannon01

You can call DTV to eliminate the wireless connection by using the wired DECA BB basically a coax is run to the router from the SWM splitter and a DECA BB is connected to the router with an Ethernet cable and a power supply is connected to the outlet. 

jw23

Happens on mine too so I switched to a power line adapter (which DTV doesn't support). Can't get hard wired due to significant costs. Power line adapter works great! Cheap as well.

shannon01

Service calls are $50 for outside house wrap, fishing walls is extra to install the DECA BB.

jw23

Appreciate the advice. All my stuff goes into basement then throughout the house. Unfortunately my router is on the opposite side of the family room TV on 1st floor of house and same where my Plasma is in the basement. There would need to be a lot of fishing. As little as I watch on demand there is no need for the cost. 1080p streams just fine for pay per view movies on DTV as well as Cinema Now.

84686f6173205479

You can try to have multiple access points and set those up in wireless bridge. You can use a PDA, if you have one, or a notebook/tablet, to ping the wireless gateway and set access points to locations where there is good green signal to pass through each AP. That way you can also connect your other devices to the internet anywhere in the house.

The cost of implementation may or may not be high or good depending on how you view "cost" of implementation-whether you included both intangible benefits or only the tangible benefits.