10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2014 1:17 PM by scorpious RSS

WatchESPN

sackmaster52

Why is it that almost every other television service provider offers Watchespn but directv does not?? The "world wide leader in sports" shouldn't be dropping the ball on offering this.  When I called to directv to see what could be done about the game I wanted to watch that was only carried on Time warner or ESPN3 I was told that they could sell me a college football package. I was like ok but other providers offer this for free, but I listened.  it was around $100 and it didn't carry the game I wanted anyways.  I am at directv for the sports channels but this is really making me reconsider my thinking, I want watch espn really badly am I am frustrated by this.  Even Dish Network gets it now!!! Really???  Why pay the money for a television service provider that is supposed to supply you with sports if you cant watch the games you want to watch? Directv please get this done so I can watch my games.

• Re: WatchESPN
    wstegemann

Totally get where you're coming from. It's a rights issue and it's being worked on. Hope to have news on this in the near future.

vaguy

wstegemann wrote back in late August:

Totally get where you're coming from. It's a rights issue and it's being worked on. Hope to have news on this in the near future.

How long can this possibly take?  How is it that 120 other rights distributors have negotiated this with ESPN but DirecTV has not?  DirecTV has in the past called itself the #1 sports provider.  Clearly not.  I don't think the argument that ESPN doesn't negotiate mid-contract holds water.  But just in case it does/did,  I wrote directly to DirecTV back on 9/15/14  and specifically asked when their agreement with ESPN was due to be renegotiated.  Of course their reply was "unable to comment".   I'd really be torked at this point for it not for my cable provider (Cox) allowing ESPN3 to stream to at least my PCs.  But of course nothing to cell phones, tablets, or Roku devices, even while they're operating in my residence. 

Does anybody have a clue when this will be settled one way or another?

scorpious

I have been inquiring for about two years now regarding Watch ESPN. Just recently inquired about the Fox Sports App too. Would have been nice to watch MLB playoffs for NL. At least I watched AL playoffs on TBS. More than rights issue... Someone mentioned it won't be discussed until next contract. My contract with DirecTV runs out in February 2015. My cable company provides this option. I am seriously considering the switch. I somehow don't think all of the other providers waited until contract renewal time. Changes to contracts are made all of the time...why not now? if that's the case.

peds48

As has been stated multiple times complete with links to proof of it, Disney will NOT provide access to the Watch apps outside of the renewal of the contract. Prior to 2010 ESPN3 was an ISP only product called ESPN 360, last time DirecTV renewed their contract that didn't even exist. Most ISPs made deals for ESPN 360 and later ESPN3, but for whatever reason Time Warner and their lapdog Bright House along with Optimum restrict it to those with TV subscriptions. Maybe you should be asking Time Warner why are they blocking you from accessing ESPN3, something internet only subscribers of providers like Comcast, Verizon, Cox and Charter have no problem accessing.

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/207378-watch-espn/page-6

jlharper59

Wouldn't the whole "renegotiate" argument have lost validity when they negotiated for the SEC Network?  It was an ADD without renegotiation.

My thoughts are that DirecTV is not overly interested in paying much of anything for it, as it is no value to them - allows you to watch content without using their hardware.

I have been a subscriber for YEARS, but this kind of thing frustrates me with them.  DISH is getting a leg up on them more and more with this kind of thing - but I'll go back to cable before I go DISH.

rbclinke

I agree completely.   The drop down menu for "Select Provider" has like 120 networks listed.....but no DIRECTV. Are you kidding me???????

Dear DirecTV,

Get your act together.

Sincerely,

Your Disappointed Customer

peds48

Why not call and complain to Disney which is the one holding things up????

rbclinke

Dear Mr. Banks,

Please let us use WatchESPN on our iPads!

-----

Or....here's a better idea:

How about Directv call Disney and tell them to stop holding things up? After all, it is their job and we are the customer.

peds48

rbclinke wrote:

Or....here's a better idea:

How about Directv call Disney and tell them to stop holding things up? After all, it is their job and we are the customer.

DirecTV® have tried, Disney is not allowing until the contract s  renewed.  Disney had never allow the EW apps mid contract to any MVPD

r8tmo

Another US Open Tennis Championship!  And as much as Direct TV touts their multiple court feature, now as we get into the second week,  the multiple court features expire and the bigger networks control what feeds are broadcast.  So now major 4th round and QFs and probably SFs are going to take place simultaneously and they are going to say,  go to ESPN3 for the action.   I've been with Century Link as ISP for years.  I have requested repeatedly that they provide ESPN streaming media.  At one time they said they hoped to get a contract, but that was 3 years ago.  This last time they said it was a problem with ESPN.  I'm seeking a response from Direct to find out which ISPs in the Portland area will bundle that can provide me with ESPN 3.  I now have Smart TV and would REALLY like to take advantage of the technology and have gotten tired of getting dismissed.  I've been loyal and patient for so long and have expressed willingness to pay extra for access to the streaming media.  The lack of movement on this issue makes me wonder is this just a problem for myself and about seven other people who appear on this post?   Because if that's the case Century Link, Direct TV, and whoever powers that be will not miss our $ at the end of the month when we figure out a way to drop them.