Announcements
Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

R

Fri, May 29, 2020 8:06 PM

50% Off DirecTV is the same old scam?

Hi I received a phone call today from 813-756-4594 saying that if I call 855-422-4794 that I can receive 50% off my Direct TV bill. I am assuming this is a scam? How do they know I have Direct TV? I used to get non-stop text messages trying to get me to call and get a promotion. Is there anyway to stop it?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

13.8K Messages

1 y ago

@Schallzy8374 

Scam artists use many tricks to pretend to be someone else and catch people unaware. So we have given useful information to help protect against that. But the new information was for you, not the OP as they posted 4 months ago and you just joined in.

1 y ago

I took the bait and called back the 50% off number, these are the same guys ATT subcontracted in India to answer calls for them. They had my ATT account number and other info. They had this great offer of 50% off with HBO and STARS added at no cost if only I would go to target,/7-11/ or Walmart and get an Ebay gift card for $300 and call 888-870-2073 ext1 and give them the info on the Ebay card!!! well that made perfect sense since this was an Ebay promotion!! So, if you call ATT to complain and let them know about this scam guess who answers your call? yes, the same Indian boys who are using your ATT info to scam you!!!

1 y ago

I have received 12 texts like the one I will paste in post and each has its own number to call. Not very intelligent scammer. Here is the text:

SatelliteTV: Welcome Dennis Your TV account has a promotion available. Call (855) 853-0407 to signup and save 50% on your monthly bill.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

1 y ago

I receive this scam call multiple times a week if not several times a day. When they first started, I contacted AT&T to report to them that someone was claiming to be with DirecTV and offering 50% off the monthly service. I explained that I KNEW this is a SCAM but the people I told at AT&T / DirecTV could have cared less that someone was trying to rip off their customers.

Every time they call, I block the number, but they just call from another number. I have reported them to the FCC but I know that won't stop them either...

I agree with one of the posters in this thread that AT&T took a good company that provided a good service and had good customer service and ran them into the ground in about a year.

I have been a DirecTV customer since 1997, way before AT&T purchased it and I can testify that the broadcast service, equipment, and customer service were so much better before AT&T ruined all of it. There have been bugs in the Total Home hardware since I had it installed in late 2018. Each time they roll out a firmware update, I have hope that it is fixing some of the biggest issues...mainly the dropout of audio at random times.

Even the technician AT&T sent to install my Total Home hardware was sub-par. He was more concerned on getting back into his truck to listen to a college football game than he was on correctly setting up my system. I had to complete the installation myself after he left.

I am so excited that AT&T is trying to sell DirecTV...maybe a company who cares about their customers and quality of service will purchase it and it can be a great company once again...

(edited)

10 m ago

TL;DR

They know you have ATT because you have an ATT number.

I just received one of these calls today, and it was very vague. The only detail they seemed to know was that I have ATT. They didn't know my name, or anything else. Which tells me that it's just that the scammer knows I have ATT, because I have an ATT number. 20 years ago, when I got the number, area codes were divided by provider as well as area. So while 734 was ATT, Sprint and Verizon customers had different area codes for the same location.

9 m ago

I had a call today claiming 50% off DirectTV/AT&T.  Then I was disconnected quickly from the call.  I blocked the number.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

1.2K Messages

9 m ago

@Jane901 Unfortunately, blocking that number likely won’t stop more such calls. The call was likely not from the number displayed.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 m ago

It sounds to like a typical phishing scheme. Occasionally I’ll receive an email telling my Bank of America account and I need to send them verification information, or something along those lines. How did they know I have a BoA account? But if you send out 10,000 emails, there’s a good chance a couple of recipients will have BoA accounts. I’d ignore them.  

Contributor

7 m ago

I do not have DirecTV and never have, but I have started getting these calls anyway.  Maybe they know that I have AT&T Wireless, but it's more likely they robocall a list of numbers just to get a bite from someone.  

6 m ago

I just received the same call (and have been receiving them regularly) and when I said "I don't do business over the phone unless I'm the caller" she just disconnected the call...no "thanks for your time" or "here's a number you can call" or even just "ok goodbye". No legit business would allow people to be rude like that, whether you were being cooperative or not. Speaking of which...don't they normally start with "this call may be monitored" so that their bosses can tell what the sales people are saying? This didn't say that and you can tell that they were using a dialing system due to the delay after answering and a live person starting to talk. All of those things tell me that AT&T isn't offering me a 50% discount. Sadly.

5 m ago

I receive the same phone calls. Very professional scam artists. They new many of my account details, including the amount of my previous monthly bill. The "catch" for the 50% discount was that I needed to prepay three months in advance. I agree that AT&T should be proactive on this, and at least send emails to their Directv customers alerting them to these types of scams.

Pete

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.1K Messages

5 m ago

These where sent to all receivers in late 2020

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

13.8K Messages

5 m ago

@PeteGW 

Notice was sent out. But it is not AT&T's responsibility to keep telling people there are crooks out there who will pretend to be anybody. They are running a business, not a crime prevention unit.

4 m ago

I'm quite sure AT&T does little or nothing to protect customer info. They're just like every other big conglomerate - they do what protects their bottom line... end of story.

• 

1 Message

2 m ago

I received my 5th call this week from AT&T Direct TV today. I followed the prompts and asked to be taken off the call list.  This the 4th time I have done so.  The guy told me that if I wanted to be removed from the list it would cost me $200.00 dollars.  Of course I knew it was a scam and said no that is not legal.  He then told me to (Edited per community guidelines) his ______, and to F____ off!  This is truly a joke, and when you call AT&T number from their website they will do nothing for you.  I just went and filled a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission - 877-382-4357, they were great. Spoke to a live person, and they were very helpful.

(edited)

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.