Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

S

• 

1 Message

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 7:23 PM

AT&T ebay promotion scam

Unfortunately I fell for a scam that was for a reduced Direct TV/AT&T internet rate.   I fell for it because I believed it was AT&T I was talking to--everything sounded very genuine, including the fact that they had some of our account information.   Is AT&T doing anything to combat this use of their name?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

1.3K Messages

1 y ago

These scammers are overseas. Not much Directv can do about them other than warn customers. Yes, it is very troubling that these scammers have your account information. I’d love to know how they get that information.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

1 y ago

This was posted to all DTV receivers just before Thanksgiving. All the hacked info is being sold on the dark web so your info is out there.

detuch254

ACE - New Member

• 

213 Messages

7 m ago

I would recommend changing your password for the account, adding two factor security, etc. There is not much you can do now that the scumbag scammers have your account number, phone number, receiver IDs and access card. If the scammers ask for gift cards or something about the changing of satellites, you know its a scam.

(edited)

• 

1 Message

6 m ago

I stayed on the phone with this cold call, until they said go to a store and buy EBay gift cards in the value of $ 360 and call this phone number, which they provided for Directv billing to pay for the first 8 months of service at a 50% discount.   SCAM as Directv and AT&T states "we would not ask for payment in gift cards".   It does sound very authentic with AT&T advertising while on hold.   

3 m ago

I just got that call, too. It sounded VERY authentic, using a woman at first , then an Indian man (I should have been suspect then, as every Scam call I have had had involved an India accented man.) However, there are a lot of places that use tem for tech support, too, and they are nice and legit. But when he started talking about paying 3 months in advance with ebay cards, I said I would check with AT&T first with their customer service number and hung up. Haven't heard from him in the 15 min. since. PEOPLE, I advise ALWAYS calling the customer service number on the back of your cards or on your bill from companies!!As for computer alerts, shut down and unplug it for overnight and it will usually be ine the next day. See Geek Squad if still problematic.  Keep helping out by POSTING ALL SCAMS!! THANKS

• 

2 Messages

1 m ago

Just fell for this scam tonight, and I feel awful. Wish I had found this thread and read it before I gave the scammers those (Edited per community guidelines) ebay gift card numbers. 

(edited)

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.