Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

J

Sat, Jul 10, 2021 5:45 PM

BEING BILLED FOR CANCELLED ACCOUNT

WHEN WE CANCELLED OUR ACCOUNT I WAS TOLD I DIDNT OWE ANYTHING. WE DON'T USE AT&T ANYMORE.  ALL EQUIPMENT HAS BEEN MAILED BACK.  EVERY TIME I HAVE TALKED TO A NYONE  FROM AT&T THEY ARE FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY AND EITHER DON'T UNDERSTAND OR JUST DO WHAT THEY WANT.  I DO NOT PLAN TO PAY AND HAVE PROOF OF MATERIAL SENT BACK AND CANCELLATION NUMBERS WHICH WERE ALL GIVEN TO THE PERSON I TALKED TO.  DO I HAVE TO GO TO FEDERAL COMMUNICATION TO GET THIS SETTLED.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

5 m ago

Read the final bill and check the service dates. As of a couple years ago, DirecTV no longer prorates the bill. So if you canceled a day or 2 into your service cycle then the bill might not have produced yet (so agent seeing no balance), but you do pay for the full month. For example if your service month is 7/10 thru 8/9 and you call on 7/10 or 7/11 then it just started over and you will pay for service thru 8/9.

There is also the possibility of final one-time charges to clear the account. They could be an Early Cancellation Fee (ECF) if there was time left on a service agreement, non-return fee (NRF) if they haven't gotten the boxes back (at least by the time that bill produced), or unbilled PPVs (if any were found on equipment they did get back).

Now if there are no one-time charges, but a bill that is for the service month that started after you had called to cancel, then that would be a billing error. To fix that you would need to call DirecTV. Otherwise if correct under one of the situations above, you pay the bill to get it settled.

If you were to list the details of the bill (no personal info) then we could give more specific guidance. Just please turn off your CAPS LOCK so that it can be read naturally.

ACE - Expert

• 

268 Messages

5 m ago

YOUR FINAL BILL IS NOT PRO-RATED SO DEPENDING ON YOUR BILLING CYCLE AND THE DATE YOU CANCELLED, THERE IS A CHANCE THAT YOU ARE STILL RESPONSIBLE FOR ONE FINAL BILLING CYCLE.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

516 Messages

5 m ago

DO I HAVE TO GO TO FEDERAL COMMUNICATION TO GET THIS SETTLED.

Maybe.  I sure can't fix it for you.

5 m ago

I cancelled my Direct tv last month before new billing cycle, received a $30 credit on next bill. The agent said she would send me a box to ship all the equipment back in, not only have I not received the box, now I am being charged for Direct tv that was disconnected last month. I am a senior, on a fixed income and shouldn't have to pay for a service that I no longer have. Please help me with this, when I call, I can't understand what they're saying half the time. The young lady that helped me last month, I could hear and understand completely!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

5 m ago

What are the service dates showing on the bill (not the bill date which is just when it is printed) and the date you called to cancel? Does the bill show your normal monthly charges for service or are there different line items?

If the agent didn't cancel the account, you would need to call to dispute. When you get the voice system say "cancel" so that you are routed to the correct department, minimizing any transfers.

What are the models of each box you have? Perhaps not all of them (if any) are returnable. If any are, this is the new return process.

How To Return The Equipment 

Go to a FedEx or UPS locationwith your account #. No need to bring a box or label, the equipment will be boxed up & shipped out at no charge. The process takes less than 5 minutes.  

Just be sure to keep receipt showing the shipper (corporate location, not shipping annex/outreach store) took possession.

5 m ago

I cancelled Direct TV 5/11/21  mailed all equipment back 5/20  June bill was ZERO balance.  Called 5/22 was told haven't received box yet.  Got a July bill for $97.66  Called 6/22 was told they received equipment 6/7 & Aug bill will be adjusted.  Well that didn't happen!!!  Received email today 7/14 saying my acct was past due.  Called again today & now was told there is no record of the equipment ever being sent back!! Then asked why was I told they got it 6/7, no answer.  Informed the lady (Maria) I will never ever get anything from AT&T again. So I guess will have to pay, just so this company can make more money of us poor seniors.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

5 m ago

@allymae 

Call DirecTV (say "cancel" at the voice prompt) and request to speak to a supervisor. Hopefully they can straighten this out for you. If that doesn't, then a BBB/FCC complaint is the next step.

Certainly this situation is an issue, but it has nothing to do with if you are a senior or not. Such status has no bearing on your account.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.