Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

T

• 

4 Messages

Fri, Jun 17, 2022 10:00 PM

Direct TV bill

Why am I  charged "twice" for TV access fees?  On the service activity section of my bill on line 5 I am charged 21  for TV Access Fee-3 clients.  On lines 7 and 8, I am charged a TV Access Fee of $7 twice for a total of $14.  Does Direct TV think I have 5 televisions? If so, that isn't the case.  How would I get the additional charges removed? 

Accepted Solution

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

16.7K Messages

3 m مضت

AT&T stores can only send new customer orders to DTV they can't do anything to an existing account.  DTV receivers have to be deactivated before being returned if yours where then at most you may get a 60 day refund.

Accepted Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

3 m مضت

@Teddyhobbs 

The participating shippers can accept the equipment, regardless of if they are still active or not as they don't know that status. I agree this is a flaw in their new return process. To protect oneself, just like making programming changes (or changes with any other provider), it is suggested to review the following bill or 2 to verify everything is as expected. The 1st bill may show proration from the change and the one after the regular bill going forward.

Regarding the refund, DirecTV has a 60-day dispute policy. Sometimes that may be the last 2 bills plus the current cycle to current date. Unfortunately, anything beyond that is considered accepted by the customer as that is plenty of time to review the bills (from a business perspective).

A callback practically never happens. And since the adjustment (within the mentioned time frame) is normally done by the front-line agent, either they told you a line to get you off the phone or are new/outsourced and need additional training. As such, I highly suggest you call back and speak to another agent to verify what (if anything) was actually done.

There hasn't been email as they have stuck with "live" support. I would avoid the chat option though as lots of information comes out of that method. the transcripts don't get saved to your record, so as soon as it closes out record of it is gone (unless you saved your own copy) and so later agents have no way to see what was discussed. At least with calling the system at minimum notes on your account you called, and the reason if you used an identifiable keyword with the voice prompt. The agent is also required to note the account, though human error can still happen.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

3 m مضت

You pay $7 for each additional TV/client. Your bill reflects 5 TVs (or 6 if you have the grandfathered billing model where the primary TV fee is waived).

I suspect when you upgraded to your Genie that you replaced a couple receivers which were not deactivated at that time. So, your account thinks all the new boxes were additional instead of replacing a couple. You will need to call DirecTV to address the situation.

As a note, if you have the regular Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) then you can have HDDVRs or HD non-DVRs with it instead of clients. If ever possible, never replace a full receiver with a client or you downgrade losing the additional tuners and reliability (plus existing recordings if any were DVRs).

Tiger593

ACE - New Member

• 

431 Messages

3 m مضت

Sorry, we cannot help you here we are just customers like you! You need to contact customer service by calling or chatting with them!

Their phone number is 1-877-853-0791 

Hope this helps!

• 

4 Messages

3 m مضت

Thank you for the responses. I was hoping I could do this online or by chat. Last time I had to get on the phone with DirectTV I was on hold for hours.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

3 m مضت

I would use DirecTV's original customer service number. That is still verified as operational. That 0791 when searching the web pulls up suspect info that is not DirecTV.

(edited)

Tiger593

ACE - New Member

• 

431 Messages

3 m مضت

@Juniper The phone number I posted is one that I copied and pasted from the Directv Stream Customer Service web page under contact us!  Just letting you know!  I didn't just pull this number off the web Directv does have more than one customer service phone number.  Thanks!  Although the phone number you have is their main customer service number for both Stream and Satellite service.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

3 m مضت

Just weird a web search didn't find it, but perhaps it is a newer one. As long as it is on the official site then fair enough. Sometimes people share numbers that tend to be 3rd party or independents who are associated, but not directly the company itself, so was just being cautious.

But as this thread was about a DirecTV issue, then a DIRECTV STREAM number may be inefficient if it might add another transfer depending how you are initial routed.

• 

4 Messages

3 m مضت

Wanted to followup on this issue.  Hard to say where to start.  Was being charged for five receivers/tvs despite having shipped two of these back to the company last August (2021.)  Found the receipt for the shipping with UPS which fortunately included the serial numbers for the receivers.  Finally ended up going to the AT&T store where the customer service rep couldn't resolve the issue.  He then dialed in to the phone customer department.  The response from them is one of the most fantastical customer service responses I have every heard in my life.  Asked them why the charges had continued and was told that I hadn't called them to ask them to discontinue these receivers despite them giving me specific instructions on how to return the receivers to them.  Can't figure that one out.  Waiting for the next bill to see if they really did stop service for those two receivers.  I also asked for a refund for the overcharges.  Couldn't be handled at that level but was promised a call from a supervisor.  Still waiting.........

I appreciate the assistance from the people on this forum but I am astounded that AT&T gets away with having the customers solve their own problems.  Can't send an email, the chat function doesn't work and the hold time for a live representative is so long that people either have to hang up or get frustrated with the wait.  Something very wrong there.

Discovered I now have options other than AT&T.  They were the sole option when I moved to my current address but now Optimum is providing service in my neighborhood. It has been my experience that competition drives improvement. 

Thank you for the help!

• 

4 Messages

3 m مضت

Thank you.  Learned a lot with this one.  It's my brother's account (I am guardian) and I completely missed the "additional" lines.  It won't break the bank if there isn't a refund but still...............................

My experiences with AT&T/Directv customer service has been less than optimal.  The hold time for a representative is unacceptably long-have your cell phone fully charged and the power cord available.  It has been doubly hard since it isn't my account.  I have found that many companies like this don't full grasp the concept of guardianship (despite the papers from the court) so I have learned to tell them I am him. 

I find the biggest problem with live support is the lack of a script to prove what was said as I have received incorrect advice on many occasions requiring a call back and repeating EVERYTHING.  I am retired and have the time to devote to this; I pity the working person who doesn't have the amount of time to devote to a prolonged 'relationship' with customer service.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

3 m مضت

As AT&T spun off the TV services into a (somewhat) separate entity again, hopefully we will see improvements trickle in. Just hope it goes much better than when AT&T first acquired DirecTV as they bit off more than they could chew (in my opinion), and then the pandemic just compounded any issues.

If your brother can speak on the phone to add you as an Authorized User, you are covered. Otherwise you would need to provide Power of Attorney (PoA), usually advised over the phone and the PoA document taken to a corporate/owned AT&T store to verify which gets you added as an Authorized User.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.