Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

Kclark89's profile

Contributor

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 8:13 PM

Closed

Direct TV lies and overcharges

I was given a promotional package for HBO, STARS, CINAMAX , and the sports channels for free or what they told me was free. Well surprise surprise it wasn't. My bill doubled and I am being charged for channels that I don't have and they tell me it's because my bill was already generated. The promotion expired on the 19th and I cancelled it on the 17th. The customer service said they generated my bill on the 15th so I know have to pay and extra $62 for channels that I don't even have on my account. This service is horrible. They sucker you into promotional deals just to overcharge you in the end. Should have just stick with DISH!!!!!

Contributor

3 y ago

thier lies are bigger than just that , when i initially signed on i was told 74 dollars a month, i asked repeatedly how much, keep in mind they record the conversations, my bill came it is twice that. i called , i was told i was given $74 fee, told them to listen to the recorded conversation, they said their representative gave me inaccurate pricing ,, (too bad so sad) . my service has been interupted repeatedly, have recently spent the last five days without. their technology disabled my receiver i would need a new one , five days later no receiver. i called, today they tell me they can reactivate the old one, which five days ago i was told no way. it will happen in the next 24 hours ,, couldnt tell me when. what a totally messed up company, billing , tech support , all of it makes cable tv look better by the day. did i mention i ve been direct tv customer for 9 years , ,doesnt matter to them .  ITS NOT ABOUT THE CUSTOMER!

Contributor

3 y ago

I HAVE BEEN LIED TO, CHEATED, AND OVERCHARGED!  EVERY TIME I CALL I AM GIVEN A DIFFERENT STORY.  THEY CAN NEVER FIND THE LAST CONVERSATION FROM THE FORMER REP.  I AM SO FEED UP.  I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED WHAT IS PROMISED FROM THIS COMPANY.  THEY NEED TO BE INVESTIGATED!  THEY ARE COMMITTING FRAUD!

Contributor

3 y ago

I HAVE BEEN WITH DIRECT FOR 15 YEARS AND THEY DO NOT GIVE A D'''' ABOUT CUSTOMERS!  THEY ALL TELL YOU A DIFFERENT PRICE AND WHEN YOU GET THE BILL IT IS ALWAYS MORE THEN QUOTED ON THE PHONE.  THE NEXT REP. TELLS YOU IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT THE THE OTHER GUY TOLD YOU A PRICE.   I WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE A PRICE FOR 12 MONTHS AND THEY UPPED IT THE VERY NEXT MONTH TO DOUBLE WHAT I WAS QUOTED.  THEN EVERY MONTH AFTER THAT IT WENT UP MORE AND MORE.  THEY WILL NOT FIX IT AND SAY THAT THEY NEVER QUOTED THE PRICE I WAS TOLD BY THE FIRST REP.  I EVEN HAVE AND EMAIL SAYING WHAT I WAS QUOTED AND THE BREAK DOWN OF THE COST AND THE REP. TODAY SAID THAT IT WAS A COMPUTER GENERATED EMAIL AND THAT EVERYONE GETS ONE AND THAT THE PRICE ON THE EMAIL DOES NOT MATTER.  HE WOULD NOT HONOR THE PRICE.  MY BILL WENT FROM $35.49 TO $131.01.  HE SAID TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT.  I WILL LEAVE IT AND I WILL BE CANCELING MY CONTRACT THIS MONTH.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

3 y ago

Bill going from about $35 to $131 would be impressive as even new customer discounts are not that big for DirecTV. I would fully review what is on the bill to see if there was any change to services received, not just price. Also a small portion of price difference would be because of the increased base costs that we have seen at this time of year for the last several years because of the networks charging TV providers more money to carry them.

If you got a confirmation email that is not reflecting on the following bills then that would definitely be a problem. Call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 and when you get the voice system say "cancel" which should route you to an experienced agent. Have them do a full review of the account to see what options are available and to check any possible notes or changes from the prior agents. You can also request a supervisor to submit a complaint on the previous agent for making a promise that was not honored and also for not leaving any notes. I have learned over the years that even if an agent doesn't leave notes, the system still has record of them accessing the account. So there are ways for the agent to be held accountable.

Hope you can get it straightened out. Though I would not expect a TV bill to be discounted by $100, as that would be a ridiculous savings, perhaps they can find something in the middle. I would also review what channels you watch to see if a different package would be a better fit at a lower cost. Discounts are nice when they are there, but should never be relied on to make the bill affordable. Always be prepared that when discounts end to pay full cost, or fairly close to it. If service cannot be afforded without discounts, it cannot be afforded.

• 

1 Message

2 d ago

Directv has overcharged by more than double the estimated 1st month charge in their agreement then in the second month made up for it then overchargednin the start of the third month by stating the promotions were not being offered to me. What crap.  Each time involves hours of phone calls with hangups with you paying extra and then the correction in a later billing cycle.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

506 Messages

2 d ago

What I heard you say:

First bill includes a prorated month (let's call it #0.5) and the first full month (#1), so pretty big, even with "first 3 months free" of premium promotion. 

Second bill includes one full month (#2) with the promotions in effect, so this one should seem "normal."

Third bill includes part of month #3 with the promotions, and part of month #3 without the 3 month promotions that expired part of the way through month #3.  So, yes, high.  

Right? 

On bill #1, I'm having trouble picturing "more than double."  Would you share the amounts billed by line item and what you expected them to be?

If you cancelled the 3 month free premiums before bill #3 was generated, you wouldn't have ever seen an increased bill on bill #3.  I'm not sure what about this is "overcharged"

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.