Announcements
Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

kpennington's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Fri, Mar 10, 2017 4:52 PM

DirectTV discounts for Seniors

DirectTV monthly bill has increased over the years.  No contract with Direct now and customer is elderly and can't continue to pay the current rate.  Can discounts be applied to keep a loyal customer?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

13.7K Messages

4 y ago

As previously stated Directv does not offer discounts based on what category person you are (Senior Citizen, Military, etc.). Any discounts are based off your individual account qualifications. 

So call Directv 1-800-531-5000 and review your services to see how you can lower the bill. We cannot help narrow down your options as being other customers we have no access to your account info.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

13.7K Messages

4 y ago

Ok you have a newer setup since it is an "all included" plan which doesn't itemize the charges individually. Select $55.99 (per the 2018 price adjustment I didn't take into account in my prior post), TV fees $14 ($7 each including primary for newer customers), $15 advanced receiver services (DVR and Whole Home DVR together), HD included (calculated in base cost as not optional like for older customers) is $84.99 (all included rounds the penny so that is your $85).

The equipment protection plan is optional. Without it any service calls are $99, delivery of replacement boxes $19.95, remotes $15. Personally with how long I have had DirecTV, the one time charges were cheaper in the long run then the monthly protection plan.

Family is the lowest, though it itemizes the charges. It does not have an "all included" version that I am aware of. Family package with 2 TVs and receiver services, rounding the penny, would be $59 compared to your $85, so $26 cheaper. Since Family is the lowest package, it usually doesn't qualify for any of the decent discounts you might occasionally qualify on a higher package.

Check the channels in the Family package to see if it would work for you and call DirecTV to go to it if it does. Remove the protection plan if you would rather budget for one-time possible costs instead of guaranteed cost every month. Certainly ask if your account qualifies for any discounts at the Select Package level. If you still have budget issues with these options, than unfortunately DirecTV is not for you.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

5 y ago

lower the package?

remove receivers?

i would love a discount too.

but businesses are in business to make money

if they lower a price for a certain demographic, others prices will increase

remember pay tv is a luxury, not an entitlement

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

13.7K Messages

5 y ago

There are no category discounts (senior citizen, military, low-income, etc.). I would first do a full review of the services.

First, what channels are watched the most, the go-to channels? With the changes over the years some channels are even in lower costing packages then they used to be. Directv allows you to change your package at any time, no penalty for doing so, and so you can lower or raise it whenever you wish. They also have the new package (not listed online, I don't know why) Preferred Xtra which is cheaper than Xtra, and is for people who watch little to no sports.

Do you have any optional services not being used like HBO, Equipment Protection Plan, HD Extra Pack (this is a pack of special channels, not your HD service itself)?

Do you have more tvs then you use now? (someone moved out, guest room not used enough, etc.)

Sometimes your account might qualify for a promtional discount, but those are temporary. It is best to look at your regular costs first for your long term savings. If you need help reviewing the account or are ready to make any changes, you will need to call Directv 1-800-531-5000 as this is a customer to customer forum.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

Are you a senior yet?

If not you have yet to understand that as you get older things like car insurance increase even when you have had no claims in over 30 years.  Your health insurance goes up regardless of not having any medical issues and despite paying into insurance for over 40 years.  Oh and lets not forget that the house you bought 30 years ago is now paid off but the property tax is now $765 a month.

Yup just to sit in my house and do nothing it costs my over $1500 a month.  Stupid me when I planned my retirement 30 years ago the $2500 a month sounded like a fortune....beware the future is very expensive.

I understand that TV is a convenience to a right but you know I worked hard for 40 years and I am not going to apologize for asking for a senior discount.

Not everyone is a welfare case.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 y ago

If this lack of service continues at the current price i will be forced to leave  for a more affordable source of TV

telephone and internet. At the age of 76 i do not use very little tech services and find the price extremely high.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 y ago

I am on SSI and have cut mine down to the lowest package and still pay $100.00 a month, but there isn't  anything else I can get where I live, I either have to keep them or have no tv, trying to decide if I go without a tv

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

13.7K Messages

4 y ago

@Bettyann4 wrote:

I am on SSI and have cut mine down to the lowest package and still pay $100.00 a month, but there isn't  anything else I can get where I live, I either have to keep them or have no tv, trying to decide if I go without a tv

Lowest package even with full receiver services and a couple TVs comes quite a bit under $100. What exact services do you have, the line items on the bill?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 y ago

I have select, 2 tv, DVR in living room and the the same thing in my bedroom to watch recording
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

13.7K Messages

4 y ago

@Bettyann4 wrote:
I have select, 2 tv, DVR in living room and the the same thing in my bedroom to watch recording

Select $53.99

DVR service $10

Additional TV $7

So $70.99 before tax or do you have any other charges or are the items in different amounts?

Also there is one package below Select which is the Family package: https://support.directv.com/dtv-programming/3245

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 y ago

My bill shows select all included 85.00Protection plan 7.99 total 92.99 manly and when I call they say the select plan is the lowest
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

14.9K Messages

4 y ago

The protection plan is optional.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 y ago

Regretfully if I cancel directv there is nothing else in the area I live in, so that is what I have to decide direct or nothing, thanks for your imput
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

13.7K Messages

4 y ago

You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't provide better news. If your household ever has decent internet, even if there are no other traditional pay TV providers in the area then streaming options such as the new DirectvNOW could be considered. Otherwise regular antenna for the free broadcasts in your area. Wish you well.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 y ago

I have U-verse AT&T Not Direct TV and get no discount although i live alone

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.