Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

inerttalk's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, July 9th, 2018 7:09 PM

Closed

Directv charging $2.99 to view recorded network show on DVR

I recorded a regular CBS network series (Young Sheldon). Watched the first episode on the list of recordings, no problem.

DVR automatically went on to play the next recorded episode when a screen pops up to have me agree to a $2.99 charge to watch the 1/2-hour program.

CBS is free TV, why am I being billed for standard network (CBS) programs I record to my DVR?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.4K Messages

5 years ago

It is not DTV but the channels that are now charging for their On Demand programs.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

*Heavy sigh*

Thanks for the quick response. That's really strange. We just switched from Dish (So we could have AT&T Sports) and we were NEVER charged for any of the recordings we had/watched. Is there somewhere I can find out which networks are charging for what?

Thanks again for your response.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

By the way, this was a program on my DVR, I didn't go to on Demand (I don't think!). I accessed the program from the recordings view.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

5 years ago

the dvr most likely recorded it from on demand

you need to record it from a broadcast station

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

1.8K Messages

5 years ago

@inerttalk wrote:

By the way, this was a program on my DVR, I didn't go to on Demand (I don't think!). I accessed the program from the recordings view.

It is very possible, though, that it was downloaded on demand and not recorded from the satellite. Those also show up in your list of recordings. There would be no charge for anything recorded from your local channel. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

So my DVR is downloading all episodes of a series and CBS is charging me for those episodes which I did not capture when they were "broadcast".  If I subscribe to CBS All Access, does that subscription cover the DTV downloads?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.4K Messages

5 years ago

Doubt it as that is a separate CBS program but with it you shouldn't need to download the On Demand version. There is a bug in the Genie that records all channels and On Demand so just delete them.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

5 years ago

When you schedule a recording through the search function, there is a small bug that is causing it to record from both the live satellite channel and the On Demand (downloaded from online) channel, even possibly from other channels that have the program even if you don't have the channel itself.

Historically the On Demand content has been free, but with only so much in each channel's library. Now some channels are adding more content to their On Demand library but having it be PPVs to capitalize on people who binge watch series. Directv doesn't control if the channel owners choose to make some of their On Demand content chargeable.

CBS All Access is a paid streaming subscription service for CBS. It has nothing to do with Directv. It is another option where CBS is looking to get more revenue.

Contributor

4 years ago

Same thing happened to me. Done with Young Sheldon and Direct TV. Will look at Spectrum.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.4K Messages

4 years ago

It is not DTV that is changing you but the channel and I would assume that the channel will have Spectrum charge you also.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Sparkstv1 wrote:

Same thing happened to me. Done with Young Sheldon and Direct TV. Will look at Spectrum.

On Demand is just access to a channel's library. Traditionally this is the current season or so many episodes of their choosing. The individual networks have started to capitalize on "binge" watchers, so are charging episodes of other seasons as a PPV. This is a choice by the networks and is starting to become more common. DirecTV cannot force them to include all their library for free.

I agree the networks adding in the additional content is nice, but doing so under a PPV model devalues what On Demand is (even if just by perception). Other providers should be seeing similar actions taken by the networks as they start to charge for more individual content.

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.9K Messages

4 years ago

CBS has been doing this ever since they introduced their own streaming service (paid)

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

Sounds like a scam to me. I record a show that comes on while I am work and watch it when I am off. If I watch it while it is on its FREE but wait 3 days to watch at my conveyance while I am off and it cost me $2.99 on TOP  of what I pay for the privilege off recording it and to have Direct TV. Wish I still had my old VCR, tin foil and rabbit ears. At least it was FREE. Getting to the point I hate to turn on the TV, You can fast forward during the show, but not during a commercial which are getting longer and longer everyday. Its almost to the point you watch commercials and they interrupt them with a show or movie. 

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.