Announcements
Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

aag070655's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wed, Sep 13, 2017 12:43 AM

Does Direct TV offer a discount for disabled persons or seniors? I live in NJ.

I am disabled and live in NJ. I would like to know if Direct TV offers any discount for disabled or seniors.

Thanks,     Angie

Responses

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

4 y ago

not that i am aware of

pay tv is a luxury, not a right/entitlement

I just saw this response and I am disgusted. I hope when that (Edited per community guidelines) reaches his senior years (IF he does!) people are nasty to him when he needs help!

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

268 Messages

Who you mad at?  I'm a senior and I'm realistic.  PAY TV is a "luxury" and if you can't afford it, don't get it.

(edited)

Don't mess with old people.  The older we get, the less "Life in Prison" is a deterrent.

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

13.7K Messages

@Proudshamrock 

I would suggest re-reading the response. There was nothing nasty about it. Simply a polite and realistic answer. Anything you are "disgusted" by was you adding context or tone that wasn't there.

The simple fact is DirecTV does not have such types of category discounts. So the option is to mange service within budget, even if that means reducing service.

Pay TV is an entertainment service, not a essential utility (water, etc.) which is why it does not get additional programs to help offset cost.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

A polite, realistic answer would have stopped at, "not that i am aware of". The addition of the snarky, "pay tv is a luxury, not a right/entitlement" is rude and uncalled for. You may not have a problem with someone responding to a senior citizen like that, but simple courtesy and respect should be the norm and not the exception. Especially when taking it upon yourself to administer advice. Done. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

13.7K Messages

It was not rude, but a statement of fact to provide a realistic perspective. Because so many people post complaining they don't get a break, some choose to proactively mention the fact.

So personally I find the response appropriate no matter what age you are. Simple courtesy and respect doesn't mean you have to "sugar coat" responses or avoid relevant facts.

So bottom line, DirecTV has no category discounts. And since it is a luxury entertainment service, not a essential utility, there are not governmental programs to offset the cost either. Any discounts available are based on your individual account.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

13.7K Messages

4 y ago

Directv does not have category discounts (disabled, senior citizen, military, qualifying low income, etc). Any specials you receive are based on your credit check upon applying for service. Later specials will be based on your individual account history, not your situation outside of the service.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

Unfortunately,  any senior discounts should be met with skepticism. The senior "plans" offered by the larger, more iconic companies are often outright scams. I'm a senior, I don't see "pay tv" (who calls it that anymore) as a right. I do believe that if we lived in a true free market society,  there would be competition and offering discounts would reflect that. As for people who are concerned that the elderly expect too much, who raised you? How did you get here? I'm not sure that @mdramx4 has thought it through. Be careful for what you wish for. We never expect illness and you can't escape old age.

1 y ago

My brother is a disabled senior and cannot access news channels since he cant afford to pay to get these on his TV. He should be able to access different news channels on an older tv without it costing $55 per month the first year and $80 per month the second year & require a 2 yr. contract or penalize the person just to access a few tv channels, This cost doesn't include phone service or internet. Profit is fine and good but excluding those who are disabled who have worked for many years who are finaniclaly poor from accessing basic tv due to the costs is not right.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

13.7K Messages

@TTCommunications1357

DirecTV does not give category discounts. This hasn't changed since the last post (3 years ago). Pay TV and associated news channels is a luxury. There is no obligation to provide low income options. So your brother will need to seek other TV options, even free antenna TV, that meets his budget.

Understand not the answer you want, but it is the reality of the situation. If you can't afford the "Ferrari" or "Mercedes", then check more economical options.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

268 Messages

Do people forget that there was ONLY antennas before pay TV?

Don't mess with old people.  The older we get, the less "Life in Prison" is a deterrent.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

@TTCommunications1357 try comcast, spectrum, dish, ect

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.