Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

Anesu15's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tue, Oct 31, 2017 11:14 PM

Does Directv secretly renew contracts without customer’s consent

I had a rental house where my renters paid the monthly fee for directv. When new renter moved in she didn’t want the services. I moved them to my house so I could finish my contract. I have been a member since August 2015. Imagine my surprise when a manager (who was very rude and very disrespectful) told me my contract end in 2019. Apparently he said I upgraded my equipment therefore they extended my contract. I never had any conversation with anyone about extending my contract. I am so suprised that in this day in age companies treat customers like that and expect them to continue using them. Could you help me understand how they can get away with lying. Never received any information on contract extension, never talked to anyone about contract extension. They are actually trying to force me into another 2 year contract. Shocking.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

4 years ago

Movers order 12 month agreement.

Upgrade of equipment, which includes adding additional TV, comes with 24 month agreement.

Some 12 or 24 month discounts, depending on value may come with an agreement for the same time.

Rare programming offer, such as Free NFL Sunday Ticket will come with a 12 month agreement.

An MPEG swap of equipment to continue be able to use service after April 2019 does not come with an agreement if done as the complimentary swap. Doing an optional upgrade instead will come with a 24 month agreement.

In addition to being the agent's job to inform you of the agreement, the order confirmation sent within moments to your email details the agreement as well. This way you have full knowledge.

• 

1 Message

I have the protection plan and my DirectTV box went out and could not be fixed. I had a replacement box installed. The box was not an upgrade to any of the new Genie boxes yet they still indicate that my contract has renewed for 2 years. I was not advised of this when the box was ordered.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

@Bbears4fun

What are the models of the old box and the one that replaced it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000, DIRECTV STREAM 1-888-429-4023, or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

43.7K Messages

5 years ago

Was any equipment upgrading between 2015 and 2017?  Equipment upgrades do indeed trigger a new contract commitment.  It's spelled out in the information provide when you upgrade.  

If you didn't change any equipment during that time, then you have to call DirecTV to fix this.  Your contract should have ended after the original two years. 

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

5 years ago

did directv more the service? thats a 1 year contract

if new equipment was given that triggered 2 years

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

5 years ago

Moving, but no equipment upgrade, is a 12 month agreement. Upgrades, which include adding additional TVs, come with a 24 month agreement. This includes if done with a move.

It is the requirement of the agent to inform you of everything that comes with your order. But all agents are human. So if they accidentally misinformed you, purposely didn't mention something, or just a misunderstanding between the two of you then Directv protects themselves and you by sending an order confirmation. This is a full breakdown of the order, including any new costs or agreement, for you to review before the work or change in equipment is done.

A change in equipment for warranty replacement does not renew the agreement, even if the model number may be a little different (i.e. going from HR21 to HR24) as old models run out of stock when discontinued. Going from a different level of equipment such as HR24 to HR44(Genie), HR54(Genie) to HS17(Genie-2), C51(Mini Genie Client) to HR24 would be examples of upgrades as Genie, Genie-2, HDDVR, and Mini Genie Clients are all different levels.

So no, Directv does not "secretly" renew your agreement. It depends on what happened on your account, as shown with the order confirmation, on what renewed it. If there was a renewal error, such as a warranty replacement accidentally was checked as an upgrade, then you would need to dispute with Directv by calling 1-800-531-5000 or go to @ATTDIRECTVCare to send them a private message.

Constructive

Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

5 years ago

Is it possible the tenant did the upgrade and had new equipment installed?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I installed one of my old directv receiver i owned onto a swim system, my contract was over. never signed any contracts or leases. and never received any letters in the mail about my account. it was my sons room he was home from college. turned on for a month and turned off. called up to close my account and they told me i have a two year contract. How can anyone create a new one sided contract without my consent. i called 8 times spoke reps who told me they would remove contract it was put in as leased equipt. by mistake. The problem escalated to main office. can someone please help me get this matter resolved. unhappy directv and att&t wireless customer very poor customer relations nasty people on phone they believe eveything on computer without checking the customers side.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Same is happening to me direct TV is putting them back on contracts without telling them or notifying them. There always try to get you to do new equipment telling you yours is broke then they put you on a contract without your knowledge. They advertise free moving but now they say they can put you on a new contract. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. I will send reviews everywhere and will tell my 40 customers a day about them.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

They should have to put you on a recording just like they did 15 years ago when I signed up.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

4 years ago

Movers deal have always come with a 1 yr contract.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

YES! That happened to me years ago, so I ended up canceling. Very deceitful. 

Contributor

4 years ago

If I am already paying a lease on the  ATT equipment, which ATT owns, not me... And the equipment fails and was not my fault, but they ships to me or the technician replaces during a service call it will MOST DEFINITELY  result in an auto renewal of my contact.  That is just WRONG!!!!!!  A lousy business practice and that alone has made me decide to ditch DirecTV.  I currently pay $189 per month and for that kind of money I have every right to have equipment that works and not be forced into a new 2 year contract.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

4 years ago

Replacement of defective receivers has never started a new contract or extended an existing one.

• 

2 Messages

Just happened to me. They replaced a mini under protection plan 4/2019 and now they are saying that resulted in a new 24 month agreement. I asked them to show me my signature. Their response, "we notified you by email." That doesn't sound legally binding but what am I supposed to do now?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

@wdilworth2

An order confirmation is sent by email which you can have resent and Terms of Service verify that upgrades come with a 24 month service agreement. Signature only occurs for tech install on their handheld.

Comes down to verify if warranty replacement (like for like) or an actual upgrade if might just be an error on the order to dispute. What are models of the old equipment and what replaced it?

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000, DIRECTV STREAM 1-888-429-4023, or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.

*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

Thanks Juniper - it took an hour on the phone but it was resolved, so no reason to push further. thanks for your feedback.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

Glad it got resolved. I'm guessing valid warranty replacement either ordered as upgrade as mistake, or in error upon activation was counted as an upgrade. Not a wide spread issue, but comes up often enough they need to do something with their training and systems to better prevent it from happening.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

43.7K Messages

4 years ago

@flippinbbsmo wrote:

If I am already paying a lease on the  ATT equipment, which ATT owns, not me... And the equipment fails and was not my fault, but they ships to me or the technician replaces during a service call it will MOST DEFINITELY  result in an auto renewal of my contact.  That is just WRONG!!!!!!  A lousy business practice and that alone has made me decide to ditch DirecTV.  I currently pay $189 per month and for that kind of money I have every right to have equipment that works and not be forced into a new 2 year contract.

Nope. Replacement of like-for-like defective equipment does NOT trigger a new contract equipment. Only upgrades to that. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

4 years ago

@flippinbbsmo wrote:

You are not paying a lease on DirecTV equipment. The monthly cost is the same regardless if leased or any equipment from the old owned days. The only time you pay a lease cost is at time of order if you don't have a free upgrade, and that is a one-time charge (i.e. HDDVR $199).

Warranty replacements do NOT renew the agreement, even if the model number is different. So if your HR21 fails and you get a HR24 as a replacement, that is warranty which does not renew your agreement. It would have $19.95 to cover delivery if you don't have their optional equipment protection plan.

If you replace a box with a different level, such as HD non-DVR to HDDVR (H23 to HR24) or HDDVR to Genie (HR24 to HR34) then that is an UPGRADE, not a WARRANTY situation. That would legitimately come with a 24 month agreement.

If a true warranty replacement (like for like) resulted in a renewal of your service agreement, then that is an error and DirecTV must correct.

Tutor

3 years ago

That is such a load of crap.  If Directv wasn't renewing contracts without consent than why are there so many complaints.  NO one agrees to extend there contract and is they do, it is a misunderstanding.  I am not sure how adding an additional device or upgrading a device constitutes an additional contract.  If there are costs involved they should be billed accordingly.  This is a scam.  

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.