Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

GayleVb's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thu, Aug 9, 2018 3:51 PM

Given new two year contract without my knowinledge

Last December I purchased a new 4K television. I called directtv about getting a 4K DVR. I was told to make an appointment to have an installer come out and that I would have to pay a higher price each month to have it. Last month my bill went way up and I called to see if they could give m ed a better deal. I wanted to get rid of the movie channels and just have the top package without them. Many of my channels were not available. I recieved an offer in the mail from Dish which was cheaper and just what I wanted. I knew my contract was up with Direct so I decided to go with them. They installed the new DVR and I called to cancel direct and they said I had a 2 year contract with them that would not expire till December 2020. I was never told I was signing up for another 2 year's when the 4 K was installed in fact I was told just the opposite, that because I was still under contract with my original contract I didn't have to start a new contract. I feel I was duped and now I have to pay for the remaining months of my contract. 

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.9K Messages

4 years ago

Anything other than replacement of faulty equipment always starts a new 2 year contract.

tgreaves

Former Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

4 years ago

Dear @GayleVb,

Upon taking equipment upgrades, they come with a brand new 2yr contract. The confirmation order that would have been sent out to you would have had the new contracts terms and conditions. Upon installing the 4k boxes, that was you accepting the new contract.

You can however downgrade your TV package. backing out of the contract would incur the fee of $20 per a month. 

Sorry for the news you probably didn't want to hear.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

4 years ago

Contact with not end December 2020 as that is over 24 months away.

Upgrades of equipment, as opposed to warranty replacement (like for like), confess with 24 month agreement from day off install.

There is no higher price to have 4K service. Just the same HD, DVR, and Whole Home DVR services that all Genie setups have (and early Whole Home setups before Genie) regardless if you have 4K it not.

WhenWV equip ordered the confirmation sent would have listed the agreement. So could have declined the upgrade at that time before install.

Highest package without the main premium packs is Ultimate, but still has the Encore channels. Go to www.directv.com and in the websites search use "channel lineup" and you can view a PDF of the main packages.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.