Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

Maria31796's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, February 8th, 2018 4:43 PM

I need to return equipment

My sister, Marilyn [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.] passed away and I need to know the address to send her equipment back.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Maria31796

This is a public customer to customer forum, not Directv official support with account access. However here is the basics to help.

Call Directv 1-800-531-5000

Request cancellations.

Inform account owner is deceased and the agent will follow their process.

If you are not listed as an authorized user, the agent can only advise of general information but nothing account specific for the protection of the account.

Agent would be expected to forward info to their back office so they can waive any early cancellation fee (ECF) if the account might have any service agreement remaining.

Regarding equipment return, there is now two methods as AT&T has been recently updating the process. It also depends if the boxes are returnable or not, without knowing the model numbers I wouldn't know if they are or not.

Traditional return method: Directv sends a return box by FedEx to the physical service address. It includes a prepaid label to send returnable receiver/clients back by USPS (not UPS).

New return method: You are referred to a local (such as within 10 miles, but I don't know the exact distance) FedEx or UPS (not USPS) store with the boxes and the Directv account number. This is what AT&T has used for their product returns so they are trying to have the same process for Directv as well. Keep receipt and make note of tracking number as a caution since it is a new process for the Directv side.

In the event any boxes turn out to be non returnable, you may get an envelope just to send back the access cards from them. Non returnable boxes are then dropped off at any local electronic recycling, or if nothing convenient you can go to www.directv.com/recycle for a way to ship them instead. Just make sure access card is removed before recycling.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

44K Messages

5 years ago

DirecTV should have provided equipment return instructions when the account was cancelled.  Older equipment doesn't need to be returned.  Newer equipment is generally returned by dropping off at local UPS or FedEx store. 

Anonymous

• 

1.7K Messages

5 years ago

At first, you need to call Directv to disconnect account, and then you will get instruction for returning the equipment(s) via email, if it's registered on the account.

ANTLION

Scholar

• 

213 Messages

5 years ago

In some cases, due to the extenuating circumstances of the cancellation, you might not be asked to return the equipment even if it is new, so if you are the family member who will be cancelling the services make sure to ask the employee you speak to what they want you to do with the equipment.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

canceled due to non-payment of her Bill - I have just sent a payment for her bill of 467.00
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Maria31796

Make sure you still call and inform about the deceased situation. Since it was canceled for non payment, they may need to adjust accordingly especially if there was an early cancellation fee (ECF). If there were any non-return fees (NRF) they will discuss with you on returning the equipment to get that off her bill. Make sure they have the address to send info for the "Executor of Estate" for any final correspondence that needs to go out.

From one customer to another, I hope the coming days go better for you and your family.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.