Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

strongarm's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Aug 30, 2017 1:21 PM

Closed

Illegal practices by Direct TV

I just cancelled my Direct TV service because they loaded HBO and Showtime onto my account without my permission.  After the second time, I contacted Direct TV and asked them to remove it, and to never add it to my account without written consent by me.  Several months later, I recieved a phone call from their telemarketing group telling me they were giving me HBO and Showtime.  I asked them to take me off their call list and to never add these services.  They did anyway, and I was again charged for the service.  I called Direct TV and told them I was done, that I would be cancelling my service all together within days.  The woman told me she wanted me to stay, so she would request a $20/month reduction in my bill.  I told her it didn't matter since I would be discontinueing the service.  Little did I know, she signed me up for another year of service under contract. I immediately called to advise Direct TV that I didn't want the contract, I was told it would be taken care of. 3 more times of contacting Direct TV, including the termination of service call, and they still said I had a contract, but told me they would take care of it before I hung up.  Just recieved an email that I will need to pay an early termination fee.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

4 y ago

Emails are automatic confirmations, such as when you close the account. If you don't want to wait until getting the final bill to confirm the ECF was waived, you can go to @ATTDIRECTVCare to send them a private message.

Yes the 3rd party outbound telemarketing person, as well as the one agent you spoke to over the phone, for both adding offers that you declined were at fault. It is individuals like those two that ruin it for all the good agents by causing problem for us customers.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 y ago

Thanks Juniper, I understand that the HBO/Showtime telemarketing person operated on behalf of Direct TV.  When I called to cancell the service, I advised the Direct TV person of this practice and asked him to elevate this to his supervisors.  I reminded him that only the principle (Direct TV) can grant premission to add services.  If Direct TV wants to grant authority to the 3rd party telemarketing organization, they are basically endorsing their practices.  If the telemarketing practices are unethical or as in the case, illegal; Direct TV is culable.  This is why I asked to have the Direct TV person elevate the complaint to his Supervisors, now it has visiablity and is documented.  

The Direct TV person who signed me up for an additional year contract,  when I clearly told her I was leaving, would not bode well for Direct TV in a court of law.

My concern is for elderly people who don't watch their bills and can't afford to have these strongarm tactics imposed on them.  I love big business, I typically don't sue organizations, but I HATE companies who try and get away with illegal practices, at the expense of elderly or the lower intelligence community. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

4 y ago

The problem that exists in any big business (bigger now that AT&T and Directv have merged), is "policing" the individual agents. You don't have one person each sitting over the shoulder of an agent to make sure everything they do is 100% correct and honest. (idea of 1 supervisor per so many people and such) So when a situation comes up Directv has to correct it appropriately, training the agent about any errors (they are human after all), or if on purpose than corrective action up to letting the agent go. I have friends who have worked for Directv, and I have also experienced call center type work myself in other businesses. We always hated it when another agent messed up (either on purpose or by accident), but did what was needed to fix it (including forwarding the info on the prior agent up the chain if warranted).

I encourage all consumers (elderly or not) to review their bills every so often. Not saying have to comb through them every month, but have a general awareness. One of the all too common type of thing for a customer to say "It is not my responsibility to look at my bill so I haven't in the last 3 years and so it is not my fault". And if you do make any changes or accept any new promotion, then look at the following bill that records those changes.

From your situation, submitting the issue to them to be reviewed and waiving any ECF as needed, should be enough without resorting to legal (mandatory arbitration clause in their terms of service) action. Personally I wish big companies didn't work with 3rd party retailers because of situations like this, but it is how businesses increase their footprint over a larger area. And it falls onto the 3rd party retailer "policing" their agents, not the primary company unless a certain threshold or such is reached where the issue is with the 3rd party retailer as a whole.

As a caution, telling an outbound agent to remove you from the calling list usually doesn't work because you have an existing business relationship with Directv. So you have to call Directv and have them update your contact status for account information only and not outbound specials. I learned that a long time ago when I was getting offers and I am one who prefers to look up or call in myself.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 y ago

Since AT&T bought DirectTv it has been one pain after another. Back in Jan 2018 AT&T chose to GIVE their DirectTV customers a $4.99/month Movie Package. They gave it to us! We didn't ask for it or authorize it- they just put it on our bill. The fine print says if you don't call them by April 2018 to CANCEL what you never ordered, they can keep charging you for it.  It is an illegal practice that AT&T got in trouble for years ago with their phone accounts.

Every DIRECTV consumer needs to take a stand and call AT&T/email AT&T/use AT&T online chat. Keep them so busy they need to hire more employees!

Call AT&T and insist they remove their FREE movie Package, stop charging for it immediately & reimburse your family for the past 7 months. This illegal practice of bundling, adding products to your accounts will continue unless all consumers take a stand and tell AT&T we will not allow them to change our accounts without our authorization.

No other business does this and gets away with it. I spent the last 40 minutes (that wasnt too bad actually) on the phone and finally got them to remove it & reimburse me.

It may be only $38 for one consumer; however, it is the principal and if all  20 million subscribers who were "given" the FREE movie pack, didn't notice it and continued to pay the extra $4.99/month as I did, then AT&T made approximately  $760,000,000 - Seven hundred sixty million dollars!!

Their cost to give the free movie package for 3 months was negligible. They fought me, transferred me, fought me again, & transferred me again so they would not have to pay me $38.00; they eventually did give me a refund on my bill and promised they would take another $5.00/month off my bill.

I implore everyone who has DirectTV (and/or AT&T) to stand up for the consumer, follow thru and not allow this shady practice to continue.

Anonymous

• 

1.7K Messages

3 y ago

Today a Direct TV telemarketer called my Federally registered “Do Not Call” number and proceeded to try to sell me a package deal for AT&T and Direct. I already subscribe to Direct and AT&T wireless and ATT does not offer Internet service in my area, so his call immediately was a double source of irritation. Here is the real, more aggravating factor with this call. Caller ID identified the call as originating from Chi St. Joseph’s Hospital in Bryan Texas, otherwise, I probably would not have answered the call. Obviously the telemarketer had spoofed the number. The fact that AT&T/Direct would endorse and be a party to such practices is unacceptable to me, and I have a very low tolerance for companies that allow such illegal and unethical practices. 

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

3 y ago

Who said they where from DTV?  A spoofed number can come from anywhere, they where probably phishing for info to sell. 

Anonymous

• 

1.7K Messages

3 y ago

When I answered, he said he was from Direct/AT&T. When I confronted him
about the caller ID info, he said something unintelligible and went back to
the Direct TV spiel.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

3 y ago

So a person using a spoofed phone number says they are from DTV  so what else where they faking.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

40.8K Messages

3 y ago

@Anonymous wrote:
When I answered, he said he was from Direct/AT&T. When I confronted him
about the caller ID info, he said something unintelligible and went back to
the Direct TV spiel.

Totally a scam call.  Good thing you didn't listen to them!

tgreaves

Former Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

3 y ago

@Anonymous

Ok let me give you some information on the so called "Do Not Call" list everyone loves to toss about. Upon signing up with Directv and or any AT&T products or services. Part of the contract states AT&T & affiliate companies can contact you between the house of 8am to 8pm. Claiming you are on a federal list or not gets trumped by the fact you signed a contract with the company.

If someone from AT&T/Directv calls you have a right to ask to be placed onto the internal Do Not Call list however, to process this request the AT&T/Directv employee must confirm the phone number, name on file and address on file before you hang up. If they do NOT get the confirmation, your number will be re-coded for a call back.

It takes less than 30 seconds to confirm, so do yourself a favor and do it rather than coming on here and complaining you feel your rights have been violated.

@litzdog911

Not always a scam. As you are aware I work in 1 of the many call centers.

The latest call flow is...

Hi ______________, my name is _________, calling on behalf of AT&T/Directv on a recorded line. The reason for my call today is................

Now as im in a outbound department with give or take 500-700 employees we actually have 4 numbers that display on calls being dialed out.

101001001 USA, 1800 531 5000, 1800 DIR ECTV, unknown number

So it is actually possible it was NOT a scam call.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

40.8K Messages

3 y ago

@tgreaves,

Good to know.  But why would the Caller ID have been so goofy?

tgreaves

Former Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

3 y ago

I actually have no reasonable reason for it other than the tech support team here do some weird stuff. I don't know if how many outbound lines can be attached to the 1 number. Maybe there is a limit.

As for the computer side of things, the network admin really don't know what they are doing. I watched this one guy try and repair a monitor because the color was off. Now this guy was prob in his early to mid 20's. He was wiggling the cable at the back. i walked up to it, pressed the menu button, when to screen color options and hit reset. Instant fix

Meanwhile im on a slightly above min wage job and he's on 17-18phr.. this world worries me.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

Ihave had DirectTV do the same thing to me twice now.  Each time they state that they will refund the unrequested additional services.  First time they did, however the second time they refunded only one day (92 cents) of the three months that I was charged.  It is becoming annoying to have to spend so much time correcting this prolific and problematic situation.  If DirectTV was really concerned about the amount fraud that is taking place, they would put a stop to it.  It appears that the money they make from the scammers is more important than company reputation.  Let's go public - 60 Minutes - and expose this scam to protect those who don't catch it on their bills.

Contributor

2 y ago

I paid to have them cancel Playboy (when I didn't request it), and still got charged for HBO/Showtime 6 months in a row after stating I DON'T want it on my bill.  [Edited to comply with Guidelines]

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

2 y ago

You have to call to cancel channels. No one reads your bill the account number and payment amount is scanned then it goes into a box.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.