Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

E

• 

1 Message

Wed, Sep 22, 2021 10:14 PM

Switch from Directv satellite to Directv Stream

Why cant I Switch from Directv satellite to Directv Stream?

Accepted Solution

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

16.8K Messages

1 عام مضت

DTV sat and DTV stream are two separate services so you have to order DTV stream then cancel DTV sat and return the receivers if returnable.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

16.6K Messages

1 عام مضت

@emersonmf3 

What do you mean you can't switch? You do so like with any other provider. Call DirecTV and cancel. Go onto the DIRECTV STREAM website and sign up. Or you can even have both.

They are two separate TV providers that have nothing to do with each other, besides being under the AT&T umbrella.

So your question is the same as switching from DirecTV to Dish Network. You cancel one and order the other.

• 

2 Messages

1 عام مضت

I have some tvs that stream and some that don't. will I need direct satellite and stream to be able to use all tvs?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

16.8K Messages

1 عام مضت

You can have DTV install additional receivers to add TVs.

You can add streaming devices to the TVs.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

16.6K Messages

1 عام مضت

@thearchers37215 

You don't need multiple providers to use all your TVs.

With DirecTV (satellite) you have a receiver/client box on each TV.

DIRECTV STREAM you can get their streaming device, or you can download their app to other streaming devices that you can use on your TVs.

So you can have DirecTV on all your TVs or DIRECTV STREAM, or even another provider all together.

teetertotter

ACE - Teacher

• 

449 Messages

1 عام مضت

For streaming devices, my choice is:  Roku Players | Roku

You might want to choose "You Tube TV" for streaming your local and other cable channels or Direct TV for streaming.  I am not sure if it has the Direc TV streaming app.  But, Roku, has all kinds of streaming apps to select from.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

16.6K Messages

1 عام مضت

@teetertotter 

Direct TV for streaming.  I am not sure if it has the Direc TV streaming app.

I think you mean DIRECTV STREAM as the DirecTV app is not available on the Roku or other options to stream on TV.

I really hate they rebranded the streaming-only service back to having DIRECTV in the name as it causes a lot of confusion in discussion.

• 

4 Messages

10 m مضت

I have been a DirecTV satellite subscriber for almost twenty years. I really have nothing bad to say in terms of service compared to the digital cable my family and I had before that, but the rates are getting out of control and I had to upgrade my equipment earlier this year out of necessity because I received an email saying that the equipment we had would no longer receive some channels, etc. I outright told the AT&T salesman that came to my house with the installer that if DirecTV Stream had everything that I currently pay for (I pay for the premiums. I think the current name of it is premiere +, that I would switch to the streaming version and get digital antennas for locals in case the streaming is down for whatever reason. Even without dropping anything, it would still save money because of not having to pay the taxes associated with satellite, etc. 

Unfortunately, the salesperson couldn't give me a timeline on when the streaming version will mirror what is offered via satellite right now and I'm still in a year contract per the new equipment. Getting an email today telling me my rate is going up another $10 next year when I'm already paying around $280 per month largely because of the taxes, doesn't sit well with me, but unfortunately, because I am still under contract and because I need access to what is offered on the dish for my work (I'm a writer), I have to deal with it. Per my job I end up having to order a lot of PPV events during a year, but I usually pay for those individually, so the $280 doesn't include that or the MLB package I pay for every year. Hopefully, DirecTV can get their act together or at least mirror what is offered on their satellite service on their streaming version. Really doesn't want to go elsewhere, but there is no other live TV service on the market that offers what DirecTV does, but paying $280 a month for monthly service is a little ridiculous. It really makes me wonder who DirecTV has handling their programming contract negotiations. You would think they would want to transition satellite subscribers to streaming, maintain their current subscriber base and grow it, rather than try to price customers out or try to tie them into AT&T phone service that customers don't want.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

16.8K Messages

10 m مضت

DTV AFAIK has no control over what AT&T does with their streaming service DTV streaming.  The channels demand more money for their programing when the contract comes up for renewal while DTV tries to limit the increase there will be increases.

• 

4 Messages

10 m مضت

That is what they say, but it is an industry wide issue not exclusive to DirecTV/AT&T. Having said that, this is where regulators should step in. A consumer should only be changed so much for monthly service. As I have said before, I've been with DirecTV for close to 20 yrs, will not sit here and say that I've had a ton of problems with the service in that time because I haven't and I think in all that time they have only been out here to my home five times, mostly for equipment upgrades and to replace our initial satellite dish when my family and I upgraded to HD equipment. My issue is strictly with the rate increases, yet you see nothing new added with said increase and no shortage of carriage disputes. Will say that I have seen about four or five disputes in the time I've been with DirecTV and most of those disputes have been in recent years and all have been lengthy. Now, I am starting to see some networks including some owned by Comcast ceasing as cable/satellite networks as they focus more on streaming. This is fine with me as I also subscribe to plenty of streaming networks as well in anticipation of the inevitable switch to DirecTV's streaming option, but you would think that with some networks ceasing that rates for all customers from new to longtime would be reduced as there will ultimately be less content available. Not increase rates. It is an industry wide issue, but its something that those doing the negotiations need to consider and something regulators likely need to look into putting a pricing cap/limit on how much rates can increase as does exist in other countries around the world. Otherwise it's only a matter of time before DirecTV and others in the industry cease to exist. Because customers will not continue paying for service when content is ultimately going to decrease in time.

As for me, unfortunately, I'm stuck at least for one more year then hopefully either DirecTV stream will mirror what I am paying for the satellite service in terms of what's offered and I will be able to eliminate the taxes I incur from satellite, or maybe YouTube TV will at least be comparable in terms of what DirecTV has currently.

As I said before, has no intention of leaving DirecTV at least for now, but paying nearly $290 per month after the latest increase without the PPV and MLB charges that I pay for separately, it's something I need to think about come next year. Withour the taxes, if everything I pay for now were available on the streaming version, I'd probably be paying around $200-$220 per month minus the equipment fees also. While that's steep by streaming standards, its still a money saver compared to almost $290. If I wasn't a sports writer that primarily covers Boxing and thus needs access to the premiums and unfortunately PPV, I'd probably downgrade as I get a lot of general entertainment from streaming, but for now, no such luck. As long as some promoters don't adapt to streaming and as long as some networks and RSN's refuse to do the same, it's a hazard of my work that I'll have to deal with.

Either way, as a consumer, I stand by my view that these rates are out of control and something should be done to balance things because without it, there will be no industry left in time. Perhaps that's the endgame, who knows?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

16.8K Messages

10 m مضت

The channels raising their rates is system wide and will effect streaming prices eventually.  Since TV is not classified as an essential service like water or gas there is little chance the FCC or any other government will intervene.  

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

16.6K Messages

10 m مضت

Pay TV is luxury entertainment, not a life necessity.

Networks raise their costs over the years, so higher operating costs for the TV provider means higher bills for the customer.

As such there is no requirement that any entity intervene and set prices or put limits on increases. They are for profit businesses that decide their cost within the costs they pay to the networks.

That is true of all TV providers. It is not exclusive to DirecTV.

There is no guarantee that DIRECTV STREAM will mirror DirecTV's channel lineup. The agreements are for the specific providers, not blanket covering them all. This means U-Verse TV, AT&T TV (now called DIRECTV STREAM), and DirecTV can have different lineups with no expectations they will ever be the same.

• 

1 Message

2 m مضت

Wow! Lot of great info here today. My monthly DTV bill went up $40 to $192 monthly for 4 tvs. Thinking about DTV streaming , any pros or cons. Thanks

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

16.6K Messages

2 m مضت

@Papajohn1955 

I would review the prior bill to the current one. That kind of increase is normally discounts ending. Though I would check to be sure that no new services or increase of package occurred without your permission (such as by someone in your household).

Streaming is dependent on your home internet. It depends on the speed and reliability of where you live plus your household's usage. The usage in my home would not allow us to rely solely on streaming. Plus, when internet goes out, such as technical issue in general area or local car crash (more than once sadly) I still have my TV.

You would need to also compare the channels you watch as there are some differences.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.