Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

bill34's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Aug 7, 2018 5:38 PM

Two year contract is a scam

A year ago I renewed my att contract with directv and internet. They said it would be a 2 year contract and the cost was reasonable. Now after one year I receive a bill for over 300 dollars. When talking to customer service they told me that the contract is for two years but the discounts only last for one year. To bring the price down I had to enter a new contract with reduced service in order to get the price down. They make it sound good but to get the truth guess you have to read the 10 page agreement.

nabukl

ACE - Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

4 years ago

It's  detailed in the sales confirmation order email that you get BEFORE  install and activation. Plus, the promotional discounts are counted down on the bill every month. For instance $xx.xx off x package 1 of 12, 2 of 12, 3 of 12.. etc..

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

4 years ago

You don't renew a DTV contract when it is over you are month to month.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

It would be nice and very easy for the sales person to tell you that at the
same time they tell you it is a 2 year contract.
bigjohns97

Mentor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

you are correct everything this company does is a scam, you are nothing but another revenue stream to them.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

4 years ago

Directv intro discounts are for 1 year. The agreement is 24 months because of the investment of equipment. The short order confirmation (1 or 2 pages depending what you got) shows this. The order confirmation is sent within moments of the order being placed so plenty of time to review before you are installed and activated. The monthly bill also would show the discount amount and length counting down (i.e. $25 off Choice for 12 months, 1 of 12) so you know when it ends.

The company itself doesn't do scams. Unfortunately like many other companies, they can have bad agents who make a mistake or purposely mislead you to get a sale. That is why the order confirmation is very important to review to make sure everything is as expected, and if not to give you the opportunity to call in and ask questions, modify the order, or close it out completely if it will not work for you.

bigjohns97

Mentor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

It most certainly is a scam as is the premium channel automatic sign up for new customers and rental fees for equipment. All of these things are tactics to charge more money and generate more revenue against a helpless customer and then when they call and complain you quote the fine print in a contract.

If you don't see the conflict of interest there then you are blind.

You are not a helpless customer, you just need to learn how to read. No one is making you sign a contract. You are an adult (I'm assuming), and you need to learn how to take responsibility.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

4 years ago

There are NO rental fees for equipment. Only Primestar, before the Directv days, had a rental option. You pay for your monthly services. Receiver services cover the account so if you have 3 TVs, then there is no difference in cost if 1, 2, or all 3 are recordable models. The $7 fee on the bill is for each TV authorized on the service, regardless of what kind of box it is. This in my opinion is a better pricing model as other companies in crease the charge per TV depending on what kind of box it is. With Directv it is services for the account, then just $7 for each TV that are on the service.

Premium packs free for 3 months allows Directv to showcase the added content they have available. By the end of the 3 months a customer should know if they want to keep all of them, certain ones, or just remove all the packs. It is your responsibility to remove anything you do not wish to keep. Directv does not automatically remove these as not only they hope you keep at least some of them, but also so they don't turn it off in the middle of something your watching or before you could record something you have scheduled. Bottom line, you remove it when you are done with them.

All businesses are about generating revenue. Directv clearly lists the breakdown of your service in the order confirmation. Yes it is better for the business that you remove the premium packs when you are done, but if you are being responsible by reading the order confirmation and looking at your bills once in a while, then you can make the responsible decisions on your service.

So the service is not designed as a scam. Those who refuse to read the paperwork and refuse to look at the bill details are scamming themselves.

bigjohns97

Mentor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

Because that is what everyone is looking to do when signing up for a new service, read a ton of fine print.

You are completely un-realistic in how you view customer service, people are not trained to sit there and read a bunch of lawyer speak in an agreement and remember 3 months later to cancel something they never asked for in the first place.

As for it not being a rental fee but being a service fee, what a distinction you have there, is the end result not the same, why do i have to pay for a service and then pay to actually use it, if what you say it true why do you have to pay for the first TV.

So i am purchasing a TV content service and then i have to pay to access that service per TV?

This is nothing more than a way to advertise a competitive rate and then send people a bill that is not even close to what was promised in the sales call.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

4 years ago

The order confirmation is a simple breakdown. You read that at least then you are good. The other paperwork being terms of service are in "legal speak" as required of all businesses. Not reading it is never a defense. But the order confirmation is easy to read and includes the parts we care about (equipment, amount and length of intro pricing, length of agreement). I find reading the order confirmation to be very realistic.

The TV fees simply are itemizing so you know exactly what you are paying. When SD services became grandfathered, Directv rearranged the billing model for customers starting service in late 2015 onward a little to show HD included but is essentially the same price in the end.

There is no rental charge. The boxes are leased, free with intro offer and when qualified for a free upgrade. If upgrade done early, then may have a one-time lease cost when order placed. Regardless if equipment leased, or owned when an option in the old days, the monthly cost is the same.

Old way: HD service $10, DVR service $10, Whole Home DVR service $3, Primary TV $0 (free) = $23.

New way: HD service included, Advanced Receiver service (DVR and Whole Home DVR) $15, Primary TV $7 = $22

Both ways still $7 for each additional TV.

As for the sales pitch being different, or misleading, from bill received, that is no different than some sales agents with any company. Companies put in their rules, and following checks and balances, to prevent agents from giving any misinformation. But in the end the agents are human and some will do whatever they want to make their jobs easier even if it means risking any kind of corrective action or losing their jobs.

No matter what you are told anywhere when ordering service or making changes, always verify on any confirmation you receive and the monthly bill. Regarding the bill my guidance is read through the 1st one of a new service, and the following 2 bills from any changes (1st shows any billing proration, 2nd shows bill going forward). Outside of that at least be aware of how much you pay each month so if there is sudden change in the amount you can address it as soon as possible. As for when a trial or such ends, put a reminder on a wall, phone, or computer calendar.

bigjohns97

Mentor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

Except the problem is after 2-3 months you are outside of your free cancellation window and are at the mercy of your 2 year subscription and have to pay a large cancellation fee to terminate something if the company would have just been up front about wouldn't have been an issue.

Also the fact that it took you a whole page to rationalize the system shows that is way too complicated, should be what you see is what you get none of this secondary charges, advertising should match the bill and it doesn't. Plain and Simple.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

4 years ago

You only have 24 hours to cancel DTV after the install.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I was stuck in a 2 year service contract after getting sucked in by a kid at Best Buy. He lied about the services I would be getting, and by the way, he didn't have to lie to keep his job. I signed an agreement with Internet, came to find out I had to call another 3rd party for the internet and it was not included in the package. [Edited to comply with Guidelines] I recently moved and had no alternative but to move the service with me. These crooks AUTOMATICALLY RENEWED BY CONTRACT FOR AN ADDITIONAL 24 MONTHS.  They tell me that whenever you move, your contract gets renewed. There aren't enough laws in this country to protect the customers of big mogul companies like AT&T, Direct TV from scamming us.  The laws of this country are being upheld by politicians who are pocketing monies to allow these companies to scam us.  So we're basically on our own to defend ourselves against dishonest scammers.  If they don't scam us, there is no other way to make the millions.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

4 years ago

Those salespersons are not employed by DTV/AT&T but by a third party company that sent your order to DTV and as you see they say anything to get their commission.

Yes a move order has a one year contract.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

4 years ago

@Tiredoffraud 

Agents in Best Buy or any other store location are 3rd party retailers, not employees of DirecTV itself. Too many in-person salespeople will say anything to make a commission, or not be informed enough on the service to promote it accurately. AT&T store agents don't work for the DirecTV side, so send new orders similar to the 3rd party retailer they used to be. 3rd party retailers sometimes use their own installers

DirecTV's official contact is 1-800-531-5000 or their website at www.directv.com or www.att.com as the websites are getting integrated.

Intro offer comes with 24 month service agreement because of value of equipment and install, just like later upgrades of equipment.

Intro discount is for 12 months.

Move order is 12 month agreement (or 24 months if upgrading equipment of course).

This is all listed on the order confirmation that DirecTV sends you upon receiving the order.

Contributor

3 years ago

Been a Direct TV 3 times in the pass few years only for NFL Sunday Ticket, But i will say i have caught them in so many Lies from sign up to end of terms. I ask the agent my last time being a customer, i clearly stated is this call being recorded he says yes, i stated i'm also recording, I clearly ask being i'm in a 2 year contract and i pay for extra service a mth in case someone have to come out and fix anything i want get charged a fee, if i was to MOVE change address will i be charged, NO was the answer, I also stated cause they hit me with the okie doke before, will my CONTRACT START OVER if i change packages or Move addresses the answer was NO AGAIN, you are on full terms 2years contract all thats included, i let the guy know i was recording so he should be honest right, NOPE he lied are the agent i spoke to when i Moved Lied, Somebody didn't tell the truth weather it's the agents are DIRECTTV make them Lie to the customers, until today i still have that speaker phone conversation with both agents also the conversation with the 2nd agent when i moved Supervisor or Manager. And as a customer they always try to make you feel like your dumb and you Lying on there professional agents they have as employees who probably get commission for each sale so they lie to get you in the contract then they get paid they can careless bout you after that phone hang up. When your bill goes from $90 to $250/$300 in 2 years you start recording what's told to you by those agents. Secondly i work away and very professional and theres no one home it's just me so why would i need cable when i'm gone i want enjoy it. Few more Lies by there agents that's so professional. I ask if i was to put my service on PAUSE i leave 2-3 mths at a time and home a month to month in a half would that count against me absolutely not, so my contract suppose to end Feb 2017 i paid the last bill send there Boxes back because i'm a frequently customer i know the process, 6weeks later i get a cancellation notice that my service is suspended for non payment, I call and state i sent all the equipment in 6-7 weeks ago what do you mean ( I know they received it cause i Tracked it there) i'm not a customer anymore i don't even have any of y'all equipment, here's the tracking code (Make sure y'all keep that info also i been hit with the okie doke on that also) They wasn't concern bout the code, More concern about the bill or the early cancellation fee, I stated once again my contract ended in Feb right after SuperBowl i knew that much, and she states to me i still have 7 more months of contract it ends Sept 3 2017 when you Pause your service it extends your contract,Told yall i been through this many of times with DirectTV lies after Lies,I state It must be a mixup mamm my 2years have ended, i stated when i move they tried to get me for another 2years we resolved that with audio recording if i wouldn't had that i probably still be locked in for another 2yrs, and i was told my contract ends in Feb 2017 Mrs by Mrs so & so from such and such office and emp#. I had upper management names and etc i know this day would come, I stated is there any notes on my acct all of sudden there wasn't any knowledge that i was told that which there is audio recorded by me, and once again i'm sorry for what that agent told you but this is what i'm telling you and this is what it is, how would you like to make the payment we have a card on file WOWW Which they shouldn't cause i'm not suppose to be a customer anymore. I let her know i needed to speak to her manager there was no one there see if she can get a Senior Rep. Had to explain all that 50 min conversation again, Replay my audio, After that he tried to help me by letting me pay half to get out the contract took 3mths off the cancelation fee, Still i'm not gonna pay a penny to them, After nearly 2.5hrs on the Phone 3 anger agent's who tried to make me feel like i'm being disrespectful towards them I end up Winning and my contract ended when it should have FEB 2017, It took 2 Reps, 1 Senior Rep, and a Helpful manager that just wanted to get over it and probably know they Lie bout a whole lot of Stuff to Customers. Got her Name and EMP# Also. They probably wan't have me as a customer anymore, Look at what your are emailed after you get off the phone for signing up for service best read the fine prints which they make sure you can barely see, they make sure it's unhighlighted on line so it's hard to read hoping you will give up reading after a couple of lines, ASK A BUNCH OF QUESTION AND RECORD I BET THE AGENT WILL START GETTING ANGER AT YOU ARE HAVE TO GET THAT ANSWER FROM ANOTHER AGENT WHO'S PROBABLY THE SUPERVISOR. They will tried to come up with something to lure you in, after that call, call back a day later and watch what you was told yesterday is totally different today now that that contract is signed. I ask if i had a normally 60 days to op out the contract terms and condition without any penalty i was even told yes to that and i knew that was a lie and it's on audio.. I SWEAR DIRECT TV HAS GOOD SERVICE AND OFFER THE ONLY PACKAGE I NEED NFL SUNDAY TICKET AND NBA LEAGUE PASS But they are SCAMMER I SWEAR

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.