Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

Oscar1987zp's profile

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Tue, Mar 15, 2016 9:04 PM

what are the extra charges or fees for the Directv service?

Hi there , well I am not a existing customer , I will soon, I am pretty much interested in the select package I think this is the one which fits better in what I need, however as a newcomer to the service I do not have any idea of the extra charges for the service, and I do not want surprises in my bill, I know I have to pay for the receiver, and additional boxes for each Tv at home, and other stuff. well thank you so much in advance for everybody=)

mreg376

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

6 y ago

In addition to the package and equipment fees you have to pay a DVR/HD fee if you have that equipment/services.  The only other "extra" fees are the regional sports fee of around $6 and a few dollars tax.  DTV is not like FiOS with $20-25 in mysterious taxes, fees and surcharges.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 y ago

charges:

and now for the rest of the story....I am a new member, just hitting 90-days.

As a new member, you have the opportunity to get 90-days of three free premium suites >>HBO,Showtime, etc.  at the end of 90, you have to phone in and there is a $10 fee to remove your FREE premium channels.   If you think about it you get a bunch of premium channels for 90-days for 10$....not a bad deal but, they don't tell you about the fee.  Next, if you think you want an extra  box for another room, order it with the installation or, extra charge later.   I was told that I would receive a "genie" by the sales-guy over the phone....record 4-shows at once.  I didn't receive a genie.  There are basically two models of DVR - good (2-channel) and better (4-channel).  Make sure that you know what what you are getting.  If you want to upgrade to the genie later it's $199.  Confirm whether you are receiving NEW or REFURBISHED equipment.  You can opt-in for the service/support (if anything breaks, they fix it).  I would definately take it for the first thirty days because if something is not operating right, they need to make it right and...they do.  If you keep the service contract, your bill goes up after 30-days (I think it's 30).  Lastly, you know that if you took one of the 24-month deals, 12-months down the road, your bill is going up...right?

I think that is it.  

mreg376

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

6 y ago

You basically have little idea what you're talking about, although I understand that you are "new."

1.  There is no charge for disconnecting a premium channel unless you had it for less than 30 days.

2.  The new customer package deal makes it quite clear that the premimum movie channels are free for only 90 days.

3.  Genies can record five programs at once, not four.  You can have one Genie and multiple 2-tuner DVR's on one account, all working together.

4.  It's irelevant whether you are receiving new or "refurbished" receivers.  They are all leased, all updated together, and DirecTV will replace them if they do not work properly.

5.  You don't need the service contract for DirecTV to replace or repair receivers received from them.  They will do so at any time, forever.  There are certain benefits that you get from the service contracts, which have several options, like free shipping of replacement receivers and certain upgrades every two years, free service calls etc.  But you don't need the service contract for the receivers.  Generally the contracts are best for someone who expects to need numerous service calls for dish realignments, etc.

6.  The new package deal makes it quite clear what happens to your bill after 12 months. 

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.4K Messages

6 y ago

You get a 90 warranty with the install and another 90 days after a service call so you don't need to get the service plan for 30 days.

The basic service plan is $7.99 a month your bill shouldn't go up $30 because of the service plan.

mreg376

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

6 y ago

But if you get a 90-day warranty after the install, then why would you get a service plan in 30 days?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.4K Messages

6 y ago

Zigandzag said he would get the service plan for 30 days "You can opt-in for the service/support (if anything breaks, they fix it).  I would definately take it for the first thirty days because if something is not operating right, they need to make it right"

mreg376

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

6 y ago

I was asking about what YOU said, which was:

"You get a 90 warranty with the install and another 90 days after a service call so you don't need to get the service plan for 30 days."

So my question was why get a service plan in 30 days if you get a 90 day warranty included?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.4K Messages

6 y ago

should have said for just 30 days.

rpm0629

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 y ago

I am a current subscriber that is going to cancel. I am on a 2 year agreement at a certain price and all of a sudden without notice they add almost $9 a month to my bill. If they don't take that extra off my bill I will be looking for another tv service soon. SO, I would think twice before subscribing. You say you don't want extra charges.

I will say when we first strarted with directv they were a stand up company. Was this just to fish us in or what this at&t way to get more money after they bought in. I wish they would go back to a stand up company.

jsmi88

Former Employee

• 

66 Messages

6 y ago

@rpm0629 wrote:

I am a current subscriber that is going to cancel. I am on a 2 year agreement at a certain price and all of a sudden without notice they add almost $9 a month to my bill. If they don't take that extra off my bill I will be looking for another tv service soon. SO, I would think twice before subscribing. You say you don't want extra charges.

I will say when we first strarted with directv they were a stand up company. Was this just to fish us in or what this at&t way to get more money after they bought in. I wish they would go back to a stand up company.

Every year, with every TV company, they go through contract negotiations with the companies that provide us with the programming. Each time, Directv and the broadcasters try to negotiate a price to continue to provide their shows. Sometimes we can agree to keep it at the same price and other times broadcasters want more for the same content. To keep customers happy we sometimes accept the offer and pay more for the same thing. When that happens Directv tries to take on most of the increases on ourselves but at times it does require us to increase base programming packages and receiver fees which is most likely why your bill has increased.

rpm0629

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 y ago

Well, I think the thing to do would be to notify us before this happens. There is no way know that I will give you access to my account and everytime you say (and not tell anyone) that this cost you more without letting you customers know. I am sure you sign contracts with your companies and you expect them to honor their contracts, the same should go for us. I am under a 2 year agreement which ends the end of November and I will stay with you if you honor your part. If not Dishnet would love to add anothere statellite in my neighborhood. I have seen 2 new Dishnet satellites put up next to your satellite within the last year. Do you want to go for a 3rd? I would thing this would be bad advertisement for your company.

The first year Directv was great. I wish you would stay that way...

rpm0629

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 y ago

You know Sprint was doing almost the same thing. Treating good customers like crap. I was with them for over 12 years. Good customer, Ey... Well now I am with T-mobile.

I have never missed a payment with Directv and I will continue while I am here to pay the amount that is agreed upon...

rpm0629

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 y ago

Sorry for the spelling and the missed pronuceiation. (you know what I mean)

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

6 y ago

@rpm0629 wrote:

Well, I think the thing to do would be to notify us before this happens. There is no way know that I will give you access to my account and everytime you say (and not tell anyone) that this cost you more without letting you customers know. I am sure you sign contracts with your companies and you expect them to honor their contracts, the same should go for us. I am under a 2 year agreement which ends the end of November and I will stay with you if you honor your part. If not Dishnet would love to add anothere statellite in my neighborhood. I have seen 2 new Dishnet satellites put up next to your satellite within the last year. Do you want to go for a 3rd? I would thing this would be bad advertisement for your company.

it could be worse

you could be a dish sub that randomly loses channels, and then have you bill go up

jsmi88

Former Employee

• 

66 Messages

6 y ago

@rpm0629 wrote:

If you get a paper bill you were notified by an insert which may have been ignored or discarded. If you get a bill emailed to you you should have also been sent an email about the price increases. Customers are notified about 30 days in advance about price changes.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.