Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

Cecilio0510's profile

Contributor

Monday, June 10th, 2019 3:49 PM

Closed

Why cant I downgrade my DIRECTV plan?

I am coming up on my 1 yr anniversary having Direct TV, and unfortunately I am finding my monthly payment a bit much for my current financial situation. I called customer to see if i could downgrade my current plan, being that I know I am in a 2 year contract and have to keep them so I do not get cancellation fee. I was told that because my plan was the "choice all  included" package, which basically means if I change my plan I would end up paying more money than keeping my current plan. which defeats the purpose of lower my monthly bill.  I am trying to be responsible and not fall delinquent but Direct TV customer service is making this very difficult to do. I am very frustrated and feel like I was convinced to purchase a package that I am now being forced to keep. Any suggestions......

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Cecilio0510 

Discounts have a minimum package requirement. So if you lower your package that results in discounts dropping off, then the difference between the packages must outweigh the discounts lost. Being in your 1st year, then reducing your package on the start of month 13 would be appropriate as the discount would have already completed.

You can certainly have room to lower your package; Family, Select, Entertainment, Choice, Xtra (or the special Preferred Xtra), Ultimate and Premier.

So you have a couple options below Choice. As a note, the $10 more for Entertainment over Select provides you ESPN, ESPN2, Pursuit, and Fox Sports 1 (FS1). Check https://support.directv.com/dtv-programming/360 for the channel lineups. https://support.directv.com/dtv-programming/3245 for the Family package.

The "All Included" plans aren't cheaper, they are just look simpler as the receiver services and 1st TV fee are included in the price (rounding the penny to be a whole dollar amount) instead of being listed separately. The key is lowering the package would cause your bill to be higher if the discount is larger than the difference in package cost. But once the 1st year ends it doesn't matter as the discount will be done anyway, so lowering package at that point would be the right thing to do.

Accepted Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Cecilio0510 wrote:

I do not have the lowest package, I would be paying more for less channels. so Why would i do that.....

Only lower the package if it results in a lower total cost. If you go to a package that is $20 cheaper, but you disqualify from a $30 discount currently being received, don't do it as that would be $10 more when all is said and done since the discount was larger than the package's price difference.

After the 12 months, it doesn't matter. Your discount is done. So you either stay on the same package paying the full cost (higher than what you are paying now), or lower to another package that better fits in your budget.

Constructive

Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

4 years ago

if you have the lowest cost package available what do you expect them to do for you? not sure what extras you have but dropping movies eliminate a few tvs 

Contributor

4 years ago

I do not have the lowest package, I would be paying more for less channels. so Why would i do that.....

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.