Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

D

Mon, Aug 2, 2021 11:49 PM

Why can't I get an RMA mailing label?

My older DirecTV receiver needed replacement two weeks ago. I requested a replacement and received one 12 days ago. At the time I explained to the ATT rep that we have no UPS Store or FedEx nearby, and I would need an RMA mailing label instead. The rep said the label would be in the box. IT WAS NOT. Several phone calls later I still have no RMA mailing label. I asked why they couldn't just email me the label but was told they won't do that and to expect one in regular mail "within one week of activating the replacement unit". It's been 12 days since the activation, and still no RMA label. In the meantime I'm getting emails and today even a snail-mail reminder to please return my older receiver. Even took it to a UPS and FedEx drop-off location, but they won't accept it without an RMA label. So I'm stuck in a bureaucratic snafu. Can anyone suggest how to proceed? Possibly a phone number to someone who will really help. I already tried several - ATT seems to be big on phone numbers, no so much on customer support, so I'm turning to Community Support in desperation. Don't want to get dinged for something not my fault. THANKS!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

4 m ago

DirecTV doesn't do an RMA label.

How To Return The Equipment 

Go to a FedEx or UPS location with your account #. No need to bring a box or label, the equipment will be boxed it up & shipped out at no charge. The process takes less than 5 minutes. 

If you are over 10 miles away from a participating location, you can request them use the old process of sending a prepaid return kit (so a full return box, not just a label).

What is the model of the box? Perhaps it is not returnable to begin with. Too many agents do not proactively look that up and just give general info. Though in your case the agent gave false info as they don't send an RMA label.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

4 m ago

Sometimes the return label is under the shipping label.

4 m ago

Thanks, but according to the email I got from ATT, returning via an RMA label is one option - especially if no UPS Store or FedEx within 10 miles.  FedEx and UPS have both told me - contrary to what ATT says - I must have an RMA label. I did request a prepaid return box; just got the box with replacement receiver and no RMA label inside.  And the old unit is returnable, or why else is ATT badgering me to return it?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

4 m ago

Then those are not UPS/FedEx stores with the scanner and software needed to return them.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

4 m ago

FedEx/UPS agents did not give DirecTV specific info. Other companies use just RMA labels, but not DirecTV. So those were not corporate shipping stores that participate in the return program (or you got an agent who has not been trained on it).

What do you mean AT&T is "badgering" you? If you mean an email notice, those are automated and lately have had errors (sometimes saying to return a model that is not returnable or the reverse). Though if it doesn't even mention a model number to begin with then that is just general info. So what actually is the model number?

4 m ago

Thanks again to both of you!

Unfortunately, there was no RMA label under the shipping label (I just took another look to be sure).

With regard to ATT not doing RMA's, here is a direct quote from each email and also from the letter I received:

"Return Option #2:
Have an AT&T RMA label?

Use the RMA label included in the box that your new equipment came in to return your non-working equipment."

I do think you're both correct, the UPS and FedEx locations I went to may not be equipped to scan and handle a return without an RMA label.  The FedEx guy even said "ATT and <another company> do this all the time" (not provide an RMA).  Tomorrow I will contact a UPS Store in another town to ask.  Too bad they are 45 minutes away, but if that's what it takes . . .

BTW, maybe "badgering" is too strong a term. But in the past 5 days I've received 3 emails and 1 written letter from ATT, and it hasn't been anywhere close to the 21 days they allow for a return.

Thanks again for your help.  I may have to drive the 90 minute round trip to return this item.

Also BTW, each email and the letter has mentioned the model number I need to return (HR24-500) as well as the RMA option. Go figure!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

4 m ago

AT&T RMA label would refer to a phone, not DirecTV satellite equipment. A full return box is sent upon request (if over 10 miles from a 'participating' location). If a return label wasn't under the original shipping one (designed to either tear off original or have included to affix onto same box), then they were defaulting to the new process.

The HR24 is the last regular HDDVR for DirecTV, so would normally expect to be returnable. However recently they don't seem to be activating them anymore, so may have just transitioned it to being non-returnable as they move forward with their restrictive Client-only setup.

You got a "written" letter? I find that doubtful as all emails and letters should be pre-printed as they are automatically sent regarding equipment return. I do agree the process on return and notification needs to be improved, and that is beyond the issues caused by the pandemic. And that includes that it sounds like they have bad wording on the instructions as they never do a RMA label by itself for DirecTV, so sounds like they are once again mixing AT&T and DirecTV procedures causing more confusion.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.