Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

G

Mon, Aug 3, 2020 11:15 PM

Why is there not any prorated cancellation?

I have been a loyal Directv customer for over 20 years. I called in to cancel my service & am being told they do not do prorated billing. I am 8 days into my billing cycle & I am being told I must still pay for the unused days (22 days). This is crap. Any other utility or home service will only bill up through the date of cancellation. This is not fair treatment. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

1 y ago

For refence, here is the notice sent to us customers in 2018 about the change. DirecTV is not the first to change to flat monthly billing, as other companies have done the same.

Please read this if you receive DIRECTV, AT&T U-verse® TV, AT&T Internet, AT&T Phone, and/or AT&T Fixed Wireless service(s). We want to remind you that you’re billed in advance for recurring service(s) and/or programming charges and applicable fees based on the terms of your current service agreement(s) with us. Starting January 14, 2019, subject to applicable laws, we’re updating your agreement(s) to include your recurring service(s)/programming charges and fees won’t be prorated if you cancel the above service(s) on any day other than the last day of your billing cycle. Your service(s) will continue until the end of your billing cycle but you won’t get a refund (prorated credits) for any remaining days left in your billing cycle. For products not listed above, refer to their terms of service for more information.

Questions about this change? Go to att.com/ProrationPolicy for more information and to see the revised section of your service agreement(s).

Accepted Solution

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

1 y ago

The TOS was changed 2 years ago to you pay for and receive service till the end of your billing cycle.

• 

2 Messages

4 m ago

would have been nice to receive notice of this change. Par for the course for AT&T though. We cancelled because their service stopped working at our house, and couldn't be fixed, and still got billed for a month of non service.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

4 m ago

@HeyTT_are_Crooks 

As mentioned in this thread a year ago (Aug 2020), AT&T/DirecTV joined other companies in no longer prorating final bills. This has become the standard across many industries. Notice was sent to all us customers in 2018 with change starting in January 2019, so over 2 years ago for both. As such you are held to the ToS just like the rest of us.

Very curious why you think your DirecTV service couldn't be fixed. If you ever consider reconnecting your service, or cancellation hasn't finished yet, if you start a fresh thread about that issue perhaps others could help find a solution.

• 

2 Messages

4 m ago

Missed that this was the DirectTV subforum, it came up in a search for Uverse. We haven't recieved paper or email communications from AT&T in years, they just auto deduct however much they want every month. Unfortunately, the underground copper is apparently degrading in our neighborhood, to the point that we had bandwidth issues watching 1 show, with nothing recording. The solution that was suggested to us was to switch to AT&T TV, which uses even more bandwidth they couldn't provide, as apparently Uverse is no longer supported.

Interestingly enough, in California state law actually appears to require prorating.

(l) A video provider shall cease charging a customer for services within seven business days of receiving a request to terminate service.  If the customer requests that service be terminated and provides seven or more business day's notice before the date for termination of service, the video provider shall cease charging the customer for additional services as of midnight of the last day of service.  Nothing in this subdivision shall prohibit a video provider from billing for charges incurred by the customer prior to the date for termination of service.

(m) All video providers shall issue requested refund checks promptly, but no later than 45 days following the resolution of any dispute, and following the return of the equipment supplied by the video provider, if service is terminated.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

268 Messages

4 m ago

You are correct.  California, Illinois and NY are exempt from the 'no pro-rate' policy.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.