Please pardon our dust while we are making some changes to our DIRECTV Community Forum. Starting Thur. 10/06, this site will be read-only until changes are completed on Fri. 10/07. Thank you for your patience.

johndel1's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Tue, Nov 20, 2007 7:05 PM

Blackouts on new HD -DVR

I had a new Directv Dish Antenna and H21 HD-DVR installed on Nov. 15th. Unfortunately I couldn't watch any TV while the Tecnician was here as the Directv activation system was down and it was almost 9pm before I could activate the new system. The Tecnician was long gone by that time. Anyway at a later date I discovered that the TV screen (Samsung 50" DLP) would go blank every few minutes and then come back in about 2 seconds. I was told by Directv that this is a problem they are having with local channels only and that they are working on this problem. What puzzles me is the fact that it wasn't happening on my old HD 10 Receiver which the new one replaced. I did have blackouts on the old HD 10 receiver two years ago and at that time I was advised by some people to switch out the HDMI cable and replace it with component cables and that really took care of the issue at that time. The Tecnician at Directv seemed to think that this would have no bearing on the problem this time. I would appreciate any help from anyone out there who knows anything about this problem.
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

43.4K Messages

15 y مضت

It could be an HDMI incompatibility between your Samsung and the DVR. What happens if you use the component video connection instead? If that works, then try reconnecting the HDMI, but disable "Native Resolution" on the DVR and select a fixed video output resolution of 720p or 1080i to see if one of those works better.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

15 y مضت

Thanks a million, litzdog911, for solving my problem. I did what you suggested and tonight I have no 'blackouts' and a great picture on all channels. I am truly grateful for your help. Happy Thanksgiving.
TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.8K Messages

15 y مضت

Just FYI for future reference. Most Samsung TVs will not accept a 480i signal over HDMI. By unchecking 480i you are making sure the DirecTV DVR does not send 480i to the TV.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

15 y مضت

Thank you, texasbrit, for this information. I appreciate your help. john

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.