Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

ejhumes's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Mon, Dec 29, 2014 7:51 PM

Cable Splitting for New Install

I just had a new swm system installed on the roof of my second story house, with a single cable run down my chimney, into my basement, across my basement ceiling, and up into my family room.  I'd like to wire my four upstairs bedrooms with RG6 (since I'll be in the attic anyway), but only actually hook up one TV to DTV for the time being.  Next, I'd like to wire a TV in my kitchen and a future TV in the basement for when we remodel the basement, with both cables runs being made in the basement.  So in all, I'd like to wire four locations upstairs, two new locations from my basement, and retain the existing location in the family room. 

Since my dish is located on the roof, can I split the existing cable run that goes into down my chimney / into my basement in the attic to run to the four upstairs bedrooms, and then again split the existing cable run that goes across my basement ceiling for the three locations I"m wiring from the basement, so I can minimize cable runs?  Which splitters should I purchase?  Where would be the best location for the power supply - closest to the dish?  Thanks in advance - Ed

shannon01

Professor

• 

2.8K Messages

8 years ago

There is an 8 tuner limit on the SWM LNB but there are ways to increase this, a Genie is using 5 of these and clients uses the Genie tuners so don't count an HDDVR use 2 each and an Hx receiver 1 each.

You need a SWM splitter they come in 2,4,8 way with a max of 8 splits.

The SWM power inserter has to connect to the red power pass though port on the splitter.

peds48

Expert

• 

32K Messages

8 years ago

Yes, you can use DIRECTV® SWM approved green label splitters, but there are some limitation.  You can use a 2 way to split the main cable from the dish to feed two four ways.  One in the attic and one in the basement.  With this configuration, cables runs should not exceed more than 75 feet

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you both for your responses.  One of the issues I have with the 2, 4 or 8 way splitters is that it seems like you lose at lease one connection to the DC power pass through, since I have read on these forums that you should never connect a receiver directly to the power inserter.  In fact, this is how my installer set my current system up - a main run from the dish to a 2 way splitter, with one connection then running from the power pass through on the splitter to the power inserter, and the other connection running to the DVR receiver.  If that's the case and I want to run 4 runs in my attic, I'd need to use an 8-way splitter and terminate the unused connections.  Also, I have read on these forums that using an 8-way will degrade signal quality, especially if you split again later in a run.  Can you guys speak to these issues at all?  Would it be better to just use an 8-way multiswitch at a central location, insert the power there, and then run all cable runs from this point, albeit at slightly longer runs?   Thanks again - Ed

peds48

Expert

• 

32K Messages

8 years ago

Having all cables run to a central location would be ideal if at all possible. However there is no issue using the signal to IRD port on the power inserter. There use to be issues but as long as there is a splitter or cable coming from that port is longer than 8 feet, there should be no problems. You def don't want to split any more after an 8 way

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Ok, so what if I do the following:

1.  Main single cable run from dish to 8-way splitter in my garage

2.  Power inserter is connected to 8-way splitter in garage, leaving me seven ports and the IRD

3.  1 of the 7 remaining ports is used to connect the current TV via a 2 foot run, leaving me with 6 open ports on the 8-way

4.  4 of the now 6 open ports are used to run 4 separate runs back up to the attic for four bedrooms, leaving me with 2           open ports

4.  The remaining 2 open ports are run back into the basement with 2 seperate runs, with one feeding the kitchen and one      feeding a future basement TV.

In summary, and I would go from dish on roof, through basement and into a SWM8, insert power, then four runs to attic and two runs back into basement to power a total of 7 TVs.  Any concerns with signal loss from the 8-way splitter, considering the cable runs? 

Thanks - Ed

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.9K Messages

8 years ago

Almost certainly not a problem, but how long are all the cable runs?

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.