Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

monicakm's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Fri, Aug 24, 2007 12:00 AM

Caller ID Not Working AGAIN

Soon after I upgraded to DVR my IR remote stopped working and so did my caller ID. I jumped thru all the hoops for ts...nothing worked. Got busy with life and dropped it for awhile. When I called back, they agreed to send out a technician. He put in a (I believe) used DVR box. Why do I believe it was used? Because he said they didn't tell him to bring a DVR machine and he didn't have one on the truck. Magically, one appeared tho. I can hear the hdd (couldn't on the first one) and there was a list of callers on the caller ID feature. That pretty well cinched it BUT it sure works better than the first one. My IR remote now works again and the unit is much more responsive. But now my caller ID has again stopped working again. This isn't the first time we've had DirecTV boxes with caller ID functions go bad. Is this common?
Monica

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'm having the same problem.  We have the r15 and r16, they both quit working.  Anyone have the answer to why it stops collecting ID  info?  Direct tv seems to think a simple reset fix is the answer.  Not. Please advise if you have a solution.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

10 years ago

Yes the caller id is flaky on DTV boxes and with DTV going to internet connections it probably won't get better.

peds48

Expert

• 

32K Messages

10 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by nikki336 

I'm having the same problem.  We have the r15 and r16, they both quit working.  Anyone have the answer to why it stops collecting ID  info?  Direct tv seems to think a simple reset fix is the answer.  Not. Please advise if you have a solution.

you are responding to a 5 year old thread.  

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment (model numbers), location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. Thank you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I was going through a lot of harassment calls. Having Caller ID on my TV screen was great because I could take a photo of all the calls (hard to do over a phone caller ID). I called DirectV the first of May. My 1st advice was to hit reset, when that didn't do anything I called back and was told to disconnect my phone line then hit reset. On my 3rd call, I was told to reset 'defaults', nothing happened. My problem with caller ID was very inconsistent. Most of the time nothing showed up, occasionally a call would show up (even though it was rare). The last two tech's I spoke with told me that if it didn't began to work after everything they had me do then they would have to refer me to the Engineering Dept. The last tech told he he had referred my problem to the ED and they would have to download new software to my receiver. Like 'Monicakm'stated in her complaint, I too had a lot going on in my life at the time, so I just put it off until I had more time to deal with it. I had MUCH prefer my called ID work on my TV screen through DirecTV than other APP'S. However, I was given a DEAL in April when I ordered my HD-DVR and was charged for it in June. I'm not going to even go into the Viacom problem. IF I can't get my caller ID working soon......I'll choose another TV provider, even though I have been a loyal customer since 2007-never late with 1 payment!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Monicakm

Seems we're in the same boat, only they haven't replaced my equipment yet. I was told they would have to download new software. I REALLY want my called ID fixed on my TV screen! I hope by now you have your issues fixed.

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.9K Messages

10 years ago

Sorry but it is probably not going to happen. All the investigations I have seen of the caller ID issue seem to show it is a grounding issue. If the grounding of the phone line and the DirecTV box are different, sometimes the DirecTv box can't "see" the call info. There isn't going to be any new software to solve the problem,  that's CSR-speak for "I have already spent too long on this call and don't have any answers".If caller ID is so important to you, then you will probably need to find another provider, and good luck because some other providers offering caller ID have the same issue.

jimmie57

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

See if you are on one of the NBC channels. If you are, check out this thread.

http://forums.directv.com/message/11099016#11099016

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I agree I have been with Direct TV for many years,I have been getting unwanted calls PLEASE fi your problem we pay for everything but can't get what we pay for.My phone service says it is Direct TVs problem SO PLEASE FIX YOUR PROBLEM

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.