Please pardon our dust while we are making some changes to our DIRECTV Community Forum. Starting Thur. 10/06, this site will be read-only until changes are completed on Fri. 10/07. Thank you for your patience.

sinz57's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thu, Apr 19, 2012 11:41 PM

"Cannot communicate with dish" after carpenters used power tools nearby

Today, some carpenters were using power tools to do some remodeling work around where I have my dish mounted.

As they were doing the work, my setup started behaving strangely. A few times the receiver said "771 Searching for satellite" but it found it soon. Then it suddenly died completely, with the receiver saying "771A There is a problem communicating with the satellite dish". Resetting the receiver doesn't help.

AFAIK, the carpenters didn't actually touch the dish or any of the cables. But could their power tools have caused some kind of power surge that would affect things? They did NOT plug their power tools into the same circuit that my DIRECTV equipment uses.

peds48

Expert

• 

32K Messages

10 y مضت

check the cable leading up to dish.  perhaps it was damaged while they were working around the dish

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 y مضت

Problem solved!

The DIRECTV technician checked the cables, and found that a couple of them had been loosened slightly, probably from the buzzing and vibration from all the power tools.  (The carpenters had replaced the planks in my deck/patio, using power saws to remove the old planks)

So anyway, I've got my TV service back--for now.

Unfortunately, later this week the carpenters will be back to replace the surfacing on the columns of the decks.  So who knows, the same problem may occur again.  Laughing

peds48

Expert

• 

32K Messages

10 y مضت

Awesome.  Thanks for the update.  Enjoy!

P.S.  Tell the carpenters that if they break your TV again, you won't be buying lunch...Laughing

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.