Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

G

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Jul 14, 2020 5:26 PM

DIRECTV UPGRADE FOR EXISTING CUSTOMERS

Regarding the DIRECTV UPGRADE FOR EXISTING CUSTOMERS...

Is it free, or am I obligated to pay an upgrade fee, equipment fee, installation and contract?

This is the email I received:
FINAL NOTICE 

You will lose your DIRECTV® service in 13 days. Call 877.376.8195 now.

The deadline is almost here. Our records show that you still have DIRECTV® equipment that needs to be replaced. Please schedule your replacement high definition-capable equipment to occur before 7/28/2020. There’s no cost to you.*

If you do not replace your equipment before 7/28/2020, you will no longer be able to view many of your favorite channels, including (but not limited to):

•         More than 10 Music Choice channels

•         Telemundo, FOX Deportes, Discovery En Español, & Cinelatino/Cine Sony

•         More than 55 other Spanish language channels

• 

2 Messages

1 y ago

Wow Junioer. Thank you so much for the quick and helpful response.  They have another box in the bedroom that I am trying to get info from them on.  My radar went up at the price and I was worried it was a scam - but wasnt  sure because we called the number listed  in a letter directv sent.  Could have been a scam letter. I haven’t seen it my parents have it and are out of state.  
do they absolutely have to swap boxes or can they go on w the old box and still get their “ special channels”?  Or will they lose the ability to view these channels because they didn’t “upgrade” aka swap?

thank you so much!

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

1 y ago

They have to have MPEG4 receivers and dish to continue to use DTV.

• 

4 Messages

1 y ago

Now Nov 2020, how to replace my R300 15 and 16 receivers that feed our 4 TVs?  Old receivers output VHF 3 to slaved TV sets.

• 

4 Messages

1 y ago

What happens to old customers (now Nov 2020) with R15-300  and R16-300 satellite receivers, 4 Samsung smart tv's, currently 2 TV's are slave connected via VHF-3 cables between upstairs sat receivers and downstairs TV's?  What are "free swap" vs. PAID Upgrade options?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

1 y ago

They will no longer receive DTV service unless they are swapped for MPEG4 receivers and dish.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

1 y ago

@efbatey 

R15 and R16 are the last MPEG-2 DVRs made. As I understand you have 2 boxes, but 4 TVs (so "slave" TVs always on same channel as the box).

MPEG swap is no service agreement and HD service is credited monthly (though may not be for life). Normal swap is for a Genie and Mini Genie Client. This is 5 tuners between them (as opposed to total of 4) with 1TB worth of recording space.

Traditional upgrade is still Genie and Client, but with new receiver services of $10 HD and $3 Whole Home DVR. Recordings are viewable from each TV since the Mini is a Client (slave) of the Genie. Upgrade comes with 24 month agreement.

You would need to use a powered HDMI splitter that is HDCP 2.2 compatible and preferably HDMI 2.0 as well. That is something you plug in yourself to allow a 2nd TV to share the feed of another without each TV having its own indpenedent connection.

If you chose to upgrade, the Genie usually comes with up to 3 Clients to support up to 4 TVs included in the free upgrade. Each additional TV is still $7 just like your 2nd one is now. You are not required to add in the additional TVs with the upgrade, just an option to consider if you wanted each to have the freedom to change channels at will.

With either option a new dish is installed. And with either MPEG swap or upgrade chosen, read the order confirmation to make sure all is as expected.

• 

4 Messages

1 y ago

@Juniper Thank you, wish the poor phone folks were able to get the bigger picture,  Guess next week I will have a Genie DVR and 3 or 4 Mini's.  Was some very unclear discussion about Genie Wireless.  Maybe I wont need if existing RG-6U covers the current Samsung Smart TV's.  Website needs some updating.  How to connect PCs, MAC PBs, Androids and iPhones.  Wish there was a graceful way to get all my new HBO-MAX directly on the TV (not assisted by phone or PC).  Better integration with FireStick would help.  Guess (as long term loyalty customer) I'm only out shipping and $7/mo each Mini Genie TV.  Thanks for the enlightenment.  VR, Ev

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

1 y ago

DTV is not a streaming service,  your laptop/computer will only be able to watch the few channels on the website after you log into your account.  You will be able to stream to your phone/tablets while they are connected to your home network with the DTV app.  Have you looked for an HBO MAX app from your TV app store?

DTV techs prefer wireless clients as they can set them up faster so they can get to another job, wired is always better and your coax should be fine.

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

1 y ago

@Juniper

Today, the R15- and R16-300 were replaced by Genie DVR and 3 wired Genie Mini's.  Having no easy ethernet cable access to the Genie DVR, I tried to "Connect NOW" via WiFi, weak signal prevented.  The nice lady at AT&T-DirecTV-800 said I could only get a WiFi Bridge / Extender if I had AT&T Cable.  So now I'm fishing for a D-Link (hotspot is DIR825-C1 with DD-WRT code) friendly wireless extender brand/model.  Articles above suggest DTV is wifi fussy, if true.  

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.