Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

tigerpaw57's profile
tigerpaw57
#1 Star!
Supersonic 25!
Celestial 50!

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

Thu, May 26, 2016 3:57 PM

Closed

Does Genie display caller ID?

My previous DVR connected to the phone line and displayed the caller ID information onscreen. Does the Genie have this feature?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

6 y ago

the hr-54 does not, the 34 and 44 do

but its not 100% from what i have read

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

4 y ago

The 1st and 2nd generation Genies (HR34, HR44) have the phone jack, but the 3rd generation (HR54) as well as the new Genie-2 (HS17) do not. So the older ones have the Caller ID on TV feature, but not the newer models. This is expected to be the norm going forward as it is an outdated feature, not well supported.

As a note the new GUI rolling out does not support the feature. The HR44 is the oldest model that gets the new GUI, so though it does have the phone port, once it receives the update the Caller ID feature will no longer be accessible. This feature was only a bonus of the phone jack, just like ordering PPVs by remote, receiving updates for older models, and sending some basic information from the box. Now boxes are connected to home internet, which covers all the features that matter for DirecTV service. No reason to spend money and resources for a phone jack for the sole purpose of supporting other companies (whoever you have your landline through).

So have your phone near you or get a dedicated Caller ID box for the TV area. Your TV service is not about your phone calls.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

4 y ago

Phone line was connected to send anonymous viewing information, and to send PPV orders by the remote control. So Caller ID on TV incentivized people to have it connected to a landline.

Now DirecTV connects to internet for those features, including On Demand, as well as some newer landlines were not compatible with the old feature. Plus Caller ID on TV wasn't very well supported, using very old software. So boxes are not even made with a phone jack anymore as it would only support a single feature that has nothing to do with DirecTV itself. So an understandable business decision, but is unfortunate for the select few who use it on the HR44 as that is the last box with the phone jack but the first to get the GUI update.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

3 y ago

Genie 1st generation HR34 has phone jack and supports caller ID as keeps old interface.

Genie 2nd generation HR44 is very last box to be made with phone jack, but gets new interface which removes options for outdated Caller ID on TV feature.

Genie 3rd generation HR54, Genie Lite H44, and Genie-2 HS17 are not made with phone jacks as DirecTV has no incentive to invest in an outdated feature and instead prefer internet connected.

Not a technical issue, but DirecTV is not support a phone feature going forward. They are focusing on the TV watching experience, not niche features for other providers.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

6 y ago

Caller ID has always been flaky on DTV receivers so DTV stopped supporting it and as mdram4x4 said dropped it on the HR54.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 y ago

Well that really sucks 😡

Just upgraded to  Genie yesterday and miss Caller ID already .

Installer mentioned that DTV was having some problems with it on other Genie models so they just eliminated that feature . 

So many rediculious features with Genie but just can't give us Caller ID 😟

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

5 y ago

People aren't using land lines any more.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 y ago

Well, then they lied to me when they installed my DTV.  That was one of my more favorite options.

Anything going to change in the future?  Can I get an upgraded Genie box?  I have a 44.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 y ago

What the heck does that mean? I still have a landline, and telemarkers call on it.  I can't afford $75 for a cell phone that doesn't even work in my home.  cell phones are too flaky to trust.  Part of this whole changeover is so I'm not paying my whole paycheck to AT&T. 😞

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

5 y ago

The HR44 has a phone jack for Called ID. The HR54 doesn't and most likely none of the newer boxes will have them either.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 y ago

My HR54 has a phone jack .

missing is a menu item for CallerID 😡

I really miss that feature . 

Not everyone has just a call phone .

Land lines , internet phone lines , are still important for quality sound on a phone call.

Come on at&t I can still remember you as Ma Bell , "The Telephone Company " , give all of our  DIrectv receivers CallerID one again .0

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

5 y ago

The HR54 doesn't have a RJ11 phone jack that is an RJ45 Ethernet port.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

5 y ago

The HR54 Genie does not have a phone jack, just the ethernet internet port which looks similar but is differnet size. Receivers being plugged into and staying plugged into phone lines did not happen as much as it should have. Now, PPV orders by remote can 'call in' through the internet and the Genies (HR54 and HR44 only) have a wireless connection built in to connect to your modem/router so you don't need to have a phone jack by the receiver any more. This is why the HR54 is the first, but not expected to be the last, that no longer has the phone jack.

For me the HR44 was the all round Genie. Improved physical design, cooling, speed, and having the wireless CCK built in over the HR34 model, and unlike the HR54 has the phone jack and front panel controls. If the tech has both the HR44 and HR54 on the truck you may get to choose if you ask him. Remember the HR54 is needed for the 4K channels though.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

5 y ago

@Juniper Not quite true long ago all DTV receivers had to be connected to the phone line to send the channel watching data to DTV.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

5 y ago

@shannon02

Yes more info did go through the phone line. (my first receivers on my own account were Phillips brand and was informed had to be connected to phone line for install). This is why I did not say it was only PPV orders that went through, just mentioning the most common info that people cared about. Now PPV by remote and any viewing data goes through the internet, Caller ID/phone jack in receiver appears to be phasing out.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.