Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

WorstinUniverse's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Thu, Jul 20, 2017 12:52 AM

Equipment Return Address

I have tried to cancel my DirectTV and AT&T accounts over and over and over again. I sent my internet device somewhere with no response back and I've had my useless DirectTV equipment sitting by my door to return for weeks and weeks.

Does anyone know the correct address to send my equipment to?

Does anyone have an address to send a written notice of my cancellation into?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

4 y ago

@youfools

Since this thread was started there have been updates to the return process.

Traditional method: Directv sends return box to your physical service address (not billing address) by FedEx. Has prepaid return label to go back by USPS (not UPS). There would expect to be 2 tracking numbers, one for FedEx to you and the other USPS back to them. The timeline is 3-5 shipping days from when box is no longer active (last day of service if closing the entire account). If not received within a week, I would contact Directv to verify account is closed, the physical service address is correct (on account and return order) and verify the tracking numbers. Keep in mind tracking numbers usually only show label generated until at least 24 hours so they have scans of package to track at each stop. Also check with Directv if every box you have is returnable or not.

New method: In select areas AT&T has started switching over to take your boxes to a nearby UPS store where tracking label and package are provided. This is the method AT&T has used for their equipment. Unknown if this is changing for all Directv returns, or just certain areas. Directv agent can verify if you use the traditional method or new method.

So call Directv 1-800-531-5000 to verify the information. Boxes must be returned by the above methods for Directv to count it as returned on your account. If you ship it back at your own cost, you are pretty much saying goodbye to the equipment and accepting non-return fees as Directv will have no tracking on that return.

On the chance you don't have to return all boxes, or perhaps any, what are the models that you have?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

4 y ago

The only way to cancel is to call in. Though AT&T owns multiple services now, their cancellation departments are separate. So Directv is 1-800-531-5000. If the boxes are returnable they will automatically send you a return kit after the last day of your tv service. The return kit is sent to you by FedEx, but the return label will show back to them by USPS (Postal Service, not UPS).

In the case you have any boxes that are not returnable, such as too old a model, you would drop them off at a local electronic recycling center or go to www.directv.com/recycle for other options. You would have to speak with Directv to confirm account is canceled and what boxes will be returned if any.

Though to help figure that out you could post the model numbers here as many are very easily known if returnable or not.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

4 y ago

I cancelled my direct tv Jan 5 2018 and was told I would get boxes in the mail.  I got a confirmation from direct tv with bogus shipping information for fed ex.   I called and they gave me another bogus set up numbers for returning.   I called today and they said they do not send out boxes any more (my friend just got a box in the mail from them to return something she does not have).   I am to schedule a pick up with usps for the parts and they will take care of.  Got a confirmation from usps and they require the parts to be boxed and addressed when they do the pick up. I have received letters telling me that if I do not return the equipment I will be charged.    Talk about a scam.  They owe me money and are trying to cheat me out of it!!!!

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

4 y ago

DTV doesn't mail boxes they are sent via FedEx then you send them back via the post office.

There are some posts on here that AT&T is changing this over to UPS with is how they have returned their stuff. You can send a PM to @ATTDIRECTVCare.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

4 y ago

I have called the number provided three times. first call, I called a different number to cancel, I was told because I was with in a ten mile radius of a ups drop off, to take the parts to the ups store and they would take care of it. The ups store said they do not do that any more, even though goggle says they do, I have to go to the nearest city (Fresno, 50 miles from me) to the ups office. Second call, I was told I would get boxes in the mail via fed ex. I got a confirmation number 200367454 and tracking number 999999. When the boxes did not arrive, I tried to track was got an invalid number code. I got ahold of fed ex and they have no record of this so called order. Third cal to Latonia, I was given a new confirmation number of 280816257 and tracking number 999999. Again no boxes so I tried to track and got the invalid number again. (I even sighed up with fed ex so I could log in). Fourth call, I was told that boxes are no longer sent and that I needed to go on line and request a pick up from usps, which I did while I had Kevin on the line. I asked if I needed to have it boxed and he said no, they would take care of it. I asked if I would be given a receipt and he said I would have to be home to give it to them then request one. I got a confirmation from USPS (#WEC220778724). In the confirmation, it states that the stuff is to be boxes and properly marked prior to pickup. Now I have a scheduled pick up and nothing boxed. I reached out to your website and get the message that if it is not properly boxed and sent back, then I will be responsible for the equipment and cost. I have received the letter in the mail for not returning your equipment. You owe me 162.92. I was a loyal customer for six years and always paid ahead on my account, so to be treated with such regard is truly disheartening and I will accept it. I want this resolved and I want my money back with in the next 10 days. It has been three weeks since I cancelled. Otherwise I find no other choice then to turn the matter over to my attorney, the BBB and I will take it a step further and reach out to the media, after reading the reviews of all the other customers who have had issues with return customer service, and they weren’t owed money.
On a side note, for your not shipping boxes any more, I am curious then why my friend had to go and sign for return boxes from direct tv, when she had nothing to return. Who’s running the show there?!!!

Sincerely

Dawn [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]
Oakhurst CA

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

4 y ago

@youfools

Yes it appears that there are issues arriving from starting to change the return process from what Directv has used for years. Unfortuantely, posting your personal information and tracking numbers here will not help as this is a public customer to customer forum. We can certainly provide guidance, clear up information, and give a lot of answers but as customers were are not official Directv support and as such have no access to your account.

For official support you either call 1-800-531-5000 or go to @ATTDIRECTVCare where you can send them a private message. Sending a message is like written correspondence, not live support, so may be a few days for a response.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

I have the same issue and asked them to send you email confirmation.  I got the email with instructions to use UPS, they did not send any boxes although they said so.  Also their numbers have been changed, I spent 1 hrs before getting the right number. 

the email indicated: Our Return Policy

If your equipment is not returned and received by AT&T within 21 calendar days of your Service Disconnect Date your account or credit card on file will be subject to a non-returned equipment charge of $135 per HD or DVR receiver and $45 per standard receiver.
• Any concealed damage that is determined to be the result of abuse may result in a charge to your AT&T account. For any damage disputes, please contact AT&T at 800.288.2020.

Anonymous

• 

1.7K Messages

4 y ago

You need to bring the DIRECTV equipments to be returned to the nearest UPS or FEDEX store found on the locators : fedex.com/attreturns or theupsstore.com/locations

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

I have called 6 times trying to return my equipment. I explained that I do not have a ups/fedex store near me(closest one is over an hour away). They told me that they were going to schedule a pick up. I boxed everything and when they came to pick it up it was refused due to the lack of label. I asked the person I spoke to at Direct TV if I needed a label before the pick up was scheduled and he told me no. I insisted that it didn't make sense being they wouldn't know where to ship it. He told me they would be able to scan the one from the email for the UPS store. Well they couldn't of course so I call to apologize for having them come to my house for no reason and place yet another call the the Direct TV support. I called again told them exactly what I was told by USPS and asked them to just give me the shipping address and I would pay for a label myself to ship it. They told me no and that they would mail me the return kit. I got nothing. Called again was told the same thing. I flipped out. I insisted that they transfer me to management. The "manager" told me the same story with the same solution. He guaranteed me that a kit would be sent. I waited over a week and shocker nothing again. So now I'm beyond done with the whole thing. I was transferred to someone who gave me the same guarantee. I then asked to be transferred to billing and insisted that I not be charged for the equipment( it was way past the required time to return at this point) being that it was due to their error. She said she noted the account. Now we are waiting to see if they charge me or refund the money they owe me for overpayment on our account. We still have all the equipment and have no place to send it to. They will not help get their things back. It's sort of ridiculous at this point. If I am charged even a penny I will call a lawyer. I have documented every single call including person, time, date and what I was told. Direct TV is a bogus company and I will NEVER use them or any AT&T product or service. All of this could have been avoided if they would have given me shipping address. What a joke!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

I am having the exact same problem.  I have made 5 calls now with 5 guarantees that the return kit was being sent out. I have now been “assured” that I will not be charged for late or lack of return of the equipment. I now have a 5th return kit being sent to me.  It is ridiculous that we have to deal with this “crap”.  AT&T should shoulder the responsibility of getting the equipment returned. They are the ones who had it put in in the first place. Let them deal with the “English is my 2nd language” folks whom they employ to handle their (lack of) Customerservice. This is total crap !

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

4 y ago

Don’t give up!!!! It took me 10 calls with 10 different stories, to get it resolved. Spoke to someone from Florida, Jamaica and when I went to file a complaint with the BBB, they do not make it easy to do so. Good luck.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

Well, I started researching to find out the address for returned equipment because I just got a call from a collection agency saying that DirectTV never got my equipment that was sent out over a year ago! - I recall now that I was told to "put all equipment" together, with the remote & send it in the box provided, but then I was later told that the modem & the box/remote were supposed to go to different addresses! - NOW the collection agency is wanting the "tracking number" that I don't have, and I don't know how to resolve this, as this is now on my credit report and affecting my credit score!! - Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do, or who to talk to?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

4 y ago

@rlv4god

I recall now that I was told to "put all equipment" together, with the remote & send it in the box provided, but then I was later told that the modem & the box/remote were supposed to go to different addresses!

Yes, the old way was that Directv sent you a return box by FedEx to return your leased receiver/clients back to them by USPS (not UPS). However your modem, even if AT&T internet, would not go back with Directv equipment. Though same owner, they are different service providers that do not share equipment.

Assuming you are being charged for the modem, you will need to call AT&T 1-800-288-2020 to discuss the situation. Unfortunately if Directv received AT&T equipment, or vice versa, the additional equipment has no tracking on it as they were for different providers. This situation has come up a few times since the acquisition of Directv, so hopefully they could research the account for the identifying numbers of the missing equipment and track down any note of it. Good luck.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

I am trying to return DirecTV box to them and CenturyLink box but I need an address they will not send me the box to my house I do not know why I really ridiculous that is so hard to turn their stuff back to him but they want to charge you for the machine I have tried several times

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

40.8K Messages

3 y ago

@hayou62 wrote:

I am trying to return DirecTV box to them and CenturyLink box but I need an address they will not send me the box to my house I do not know why I really ridiculous that is so hard to turn their stuff back to him but they want to charge you for the machine I have tried several times

Did you read this entire thread?

DirecTV equipment is returned to your nearest FedEx or UPS Shipping Center.   Just take it there, along with your DirecTV account number.

But they have nothing to do with your CenturyLink stuff.  You need to contact CenturyLink about that.

• 

1 Message

Yes, I've read the thread, but do you realize that in many areas of this country the "nearest FedEx or UPS Shipping Center" is more than 20 OR 50 miles away from an individual's home. Do you not also realize that the shipping costs for items that can't be shipped by UPS or FedEx because of lack of labels and more impact the at home shippers time, home life, activities, and a lot more? For example if I ask to have a UPS truck come and pick up a delivery at my home, I need to wait until they arrive which means if I'm working when they are supposed to arrive I need to leave the package out in the open where it could be stolen? My husband works in an area that is over 40 miles from the closest UPS store. While he could get there before they close, he would need to drive 40 miles out of the way on the way home from work just to drop off a package because the USPS service isn't good enough for DirectTV. AND DirectTV has not allowed us a copy of the return shipping label because we canceled the services, but didn't return things within the unannounced 10 days for return? Even though they are going to keep charging fees until things are returned?

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.