Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

anth9991's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Mon, Jun 25, 2018 1:39 AM

EQUIPMENT RETURN SCAM BY DIRECTV

We decided to cancel our directv due to poor customer service. They kept telling us a recovery kit was being sent, this went on for a few months. And then all of a sudden we talked to someone and they said to bring the equipment to a UPS store and they would package it and send it back to DirecTV.  The UPS store representative scanned our equipment into their system and gave us a confirmation sheet with the serial numbers and a reference number. Directv keeps trying to charge us for not returning the equipment even when I give them the reference number. They said I should have received a UPS tracking number. This is wrong, the UPS store waits until they get 16 receivers and then ships them back all bundled together in a box. In the meantime they expect their customers to foot the bill for equipment they already returned. I have called numerous customer service reps and none of them will overturn the equipment charge. In the meantime, only ATT DSL is available in my area and they are threatening to turn off my internet services because I am refusing to pay for equipment that I have already returned to them. Please be weary of signing up with this company, they are trying to steal money from their customers.  

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4年前

I cancelled about three or four weeks ago because we just don't use it. Paid the early cancellation fee and the final bill. Received the return box. Packed it up either that night or the next and sent it off the next day. It's been maybe a week or two since the box went out and they are saying I haven't returned the equipment. They are asking for a tracking number, which I don't have. They are wanting to charge me $300 for equipment I already returned. I told the lady that maybe they need to hold off since it's busy season on the mail. And that if they charge me, I will be sure to put them on blast for everyone.

mggordon

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

4年前

These days it's crucial that you have proof of mailing. When I sent back my equipment they gave me an account number to use at FedEx, so if you did the same the office you dropped it off at should have a record of the transaction.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4年前

I have also had a issue with Direct TV trying to charge me for equipment I have returned. I packaged all three I items in the return box that was sent to me.Shipped the items that I was required to send back then I received a bill for all three items. I called customer service immediately. Gave them the USPS tracking number. They found two of the devices that I sent but the third is still missing according to them. If all three Item are in the same box how can two be returned and the most expensive item not returned. Sounds pretty fishy to me. I will not be recommending Att or Direct TV to anyone. Very Unethical.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

16.2K Messages

4年前

@Larry3885

I doubt that the company is purposely doing this. More likely an issue from AT&T merging DirecTV systems into theirs on top of changing the return process within the last year. Agree it is a problem, but not an intentional one.

Glad you got 2 of the boxes located. I would follow up with them about the boxes all being shipped together so the 3rd one should be there. Provided this wasn't an issue with someone during the USPS shipping itself. Unfortunately this time of year is an issue for packages in general, no matter what shipper is used.

Hope it gets fully resolved for you.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4年前

It all ships in the same box. So if they got two of his devices, the third would have been in the box. I had the SWIM device and four receivers to send back along with power supplies and remotes. Everything went into the same box. So if they're saying the got two of his devices but not the third, they may be needing to check on some employees or something.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

16.2K Messages

4年前

If they all shipped in same box, I agree that is more likely an issue on receipt. Either employee misconduct, or it didn't get tracked in properly by accident. Either way needs to be fixed.

SWM device? Receiver/client boxes, with access cards still inside is all that gets returned. That is because everything else once installed is owned. If they got yours back ok then good, just that was more to return than needed.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4年前

I am not so sure it is not a intentional problem. It seems many other people have the same problem and there customer service is not much help. I am writing them a letter to dispute the charges along with the details of all three Items packed together. I also had this problem with returning a bad router to Att. It was not resolved and I ended up paying for it. I have no faith in them right now. I plan on changing services. I hope Att and Direct TV like losing customers because that is where they are headed. I am sure I can pass along how well I have been treated to many of my friends.

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

4年前

I’m dealing with this right now.  They have told me they never received our equipment.  Now I’m on hold waiting for a supervisor.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. They are defrauding customers and trying to extort money. 

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

4年前

I have spent hours on the phone, been told charges were reversed, had to call and cancel my service 2 times and now they are avoiding helping me by leaving me on hold for 30 minutes.  

Scottmx1x

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

4年前

so guys for sure dispute the charge if the equipment was sent back. Did you happen to get the number when you dropped it off to return that . I can tell you guys that it's happening related to directv using or converting account to the att billing system. By chance you did for sure take the boxes to a ups shipping store right? when you take the equipment there as well you want to make sure you provide ups with your account number as well. Please fill me in with a little more info and ill be more than glad to help pm me 

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

4年前

Yes, returned to a UPS store. They did not ask for account number. I did not receive a return number. If directTV is having this issue with so many people they should be responding accordingly. Instead they are requiring their customers to do all the leg work even when we follow their protocol. [Edited to comply with Guidelines] I can’t get anyone to respond to me, after holding for 30 minutes I was disconnected and never spoke to a supervisor. And the customer service representative informed me my account was in “collections”

Tutor

4年前

Same here! What. A. Nightmare!!!

Contributor

4年前

Me too, I will pay the 250 dollars then spend the rest of my time persuading everyone I know and anyone I meet to stay away from Att/directtv.

They will loose more than me.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

16.2K Messages

4年前

When you take your returnable receiver/client boxes to a participating FedEx or UPS store (not USPS) for your free return, they should provide you a receipt which lists the tracking number. Having the account number is handy, but they should be able to upload the receive ID or access card to confirm what account it is attached to and that they are taking possession of the boxes.

If DirecTV doesn't confirm return then check tracking number to see if/when delivered. If delivered and has been a couple days (to allow for login and checking condition of box amongst other boxes coming in or going out), the call DirecTV to dispute with the information to back you up. If doesn't show delivered within a reasonable time from when you dropped it off, then check with the shipper.

The return process changed to the current process over a year ago, so should be smoother than what some of you have experienced. Good luck.

Contributor

4年前

Agreed, I honestly think we should all start ***! They are full of lies and crap, I told them I was going to record all correspondence from now on and low and behold, Samsung took that ability away! I have to spend money on a recording device because I absolutely without a doubt can not and do not trust them. Also, other businesses and employers are subject to depreciation of unreturned equipment, I bet this applies to companies like ATT & DirecTV too! I want to stick it to them good! *wouldn't let me post the bull word

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.