Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

anth9991's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Mon, Jun 25, 2018 1:39 AM

EQUIPMENT RETURN SCAM BY DIRECTV

We decided to cancel our directv due to poor customer service. They kept telling us a recovery kit was being sent, this went on for a few months. And then all of a sudden we talked to someone and they said to bring the equipment to a UPS store and they would package it and send it back to DirecTV.  The UPS store representative scanned our equipment into their system and gave us a confirmation sheet with the serial numbers and a reference number. Directv keeps trying to charge us for not returning the equipment even when I give them the reference number. They said I should have received a UPS tracking number. This is wrong, the UPS store waits until they get 16 receivers and then ships them back all bundled together in a box. In the meantime they expect their customers to foot the bill for equipment they already returned. I have called numerous customer service reps and none of them will overturn the equipment charge. In the meantime, only ATT DSL is available in my area and they are threatening to turn off my internet services because I am refusing to pay for equipment that I have already returned to them. Please be weary of signing up with this company, they are trying to steal money from their customers.  

Anonymous

• 

1.7K Messages

3 y ago

I don't know about this "new process" since my DirecTV account was cancelled and I was sent a box to return the receiver in. However what I didn't appreciate was being charged the $135 non return fee immediately after my account was cancelled. They didn't even give me a chance to return anything! Plus, I get emails telling me to return the equipment to avoid the fee, but they already billed me for it! Why do they just assume that I'm not going to return the equipment? That feels like discrimination..

Teacher

3 y ago

That is so not true!  We don't live near a location for drop off and I've called several times explaining this and they were to send me a label via email, still waiting!  I am trying to return this for my dad who is elderly and just beginning cancer treatments prior to surgery and now with expenses tight, I'm going to have to waste time dealing with this and making sure they are not charged which from everything I'm reading I'll have to fight that too.  It is truly a shame this is happening, I have more important things to deal with that having to protect my dad by being financially ripped off!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

3 y ago

@Snow5623 

If you are too far away from a shipper then DirecTV should send you a return box. However it might be one they don't need back anymore. Too many agents do not take the time to look up the list when setting up the disconnect. What model are the boxes you are trying to return?

Teacher

3 y ago

Genie Mini model C61-100

Teacher

3 y ago

Genie mini, model C61-100

Teacher

3 y ago

No, we are not and I explained all that to them when I called and when she
looked up the address she agreed there was no location close. I have a box
that they shipped a new one to them in and I told them all I needed was a
label. We've called 3 times now and I honestly feel they have no intention
on sending anything to return this and then they will charge for the
equipment.

The account is not and has not been closed. I just don't have the time to
call and spend a lot of time on the phone and getting no results if they
are setting us up for a charge. This is not how long standing customers
should be treated.

Contributor

3 y ago

This exact thing isn’t happening to us  verbatim!! This happened to me in 2011 when I was going through a divorce and moved. I didn’t need the service because where I moved to service already there. I sent the equipment back and was changed $300 then.  Now we recently moved and UVerse is not available where we moved so I had to cancel my service and I mailed my equipment back at the UPS store they used my account number and thought was done but NO Now I’m being told they need a tracking number and there is NO tracking number!!  Now I’m being charge me $150 for not returning the router when I did!! I’m filing a complaint with BBR! Such a SCAM has had been for years!!!!

Teacher

3 y ago

I may also file a complaint as I called AGAIN and was assured I would be
mailed a return kit being as we are not within the mileage to ship from a
UPS of FedEx location.

i may also go as far as terminating service and looking into another
provided.

Such a shame that they have to steel from people! It is theft!

3 y ago

Same thing happened with my account! Returned the equipment via UPS with prepaid label and today they charged my account. I have gone one step further and contacted the Texas Attorney Generals office and filed a business complaint against them and alerted by bank who has filed an investigation as well. They state no record of the return and I know it is sitting there in some warehouse collecting dust. Bunch of crap. I will get my money back.

3 y ago

I just got a collection letter for the 2 genie boxes that I sent back last summer. UPS claims they can't print out a new receipt and track it based on account number. I usually hang on to my receipts but it had been over a month and I thought it was save to shred. Wrong! We did talk to someone in customer service who said don't worry about it, but I guess she lied. I hate paying for something I returned, but I will have too. This had me so mad I cancelled our two cell phone services and went to a competitor, I will never do business with them again. I always warn people to stay away from AT & T for this reason and we had been with them for years. I also informed my employer as to this scam to avoid purchasing any business phones from them.

3 y ago

The UPS store asks for account number and scans the devices, but they will not provide tracking info. We asked just 2 months later when we started getting bills. They were no help in tracking. I would have just kept the devices if I knew I was going to be charged anyways. I just got a bill for $40 something from collections after someone told us in AT & T Directv customer service told us not to worry about it months ago.

Contributor

3 y ago

I just posted something about an identical situation, but with a Uverse Receiver instead.

Its crazy. Why have a contract with these retail UPS stores instead of just giving us a label. Leaves another set of hands to screw up the process.

Contributor

3 y ago

Those are not their only problems!!!  I was due for an equipment upgrade and was talked into the newest Genie.  Fortunately I went on the web and immediately learned 2 things to change my mind.  1.  The newest Genie apparently has major glitches and gets a lot of bad reviews.  2.  With the newest Genie I am not allowed to have another DVR on my account.  Since I have a non-Genie DVR in our 5the Wheel Trailer that option would not work for me.  I purchased a Genie 54 on the web for about $80 and it works just fine.  I have asked 2 different Phillipine representatives to send me the prepaid box to return my Genie 44.  Both assured me they would take care of that and of course (since ATT no longer does that) I have yet to receive one.  The information about the return method is either impossible to find on their web site or it doesn't exist.  I gather that some models need not be returned and I have yet to discover which ones.  For a communications company ATT has yet to discover how to communicate with customers.  I have been a DirecTV subscriber for more than 20 years because we live outside the TV broadcast area.  Finally got high speed internet a few years ago and will be taking a long hard look at alternates to DirecTV.  My biggest issues:  My bill has increased by nearly 2/3 since 2010.  When I upgrade my equipment I can't transfer my saved content to my new receiver.  When I call for support I can not reach anyone based in the U.S. and often can't communicate with the CSR who answers the call and the CSR is not trained well enough to tell me how to return my equipment.

Old Gasser

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

3 y ago

@OldGasser 

HR54 is not an upgrade to the HR44. Like the original HR34 they are considered like for like, though anyone who has the HR34 should warranty replace it as the later 2 generations are much better as they fixed issues the original had when it couldn't keep up with the service. If your box had problems to where it needed to be replaced, then that is just $19.95 delivery or covered if you have their optional equipment protection plan. Warranty replacement gets same model or newer, depending on stock. Getting an HR54, even at an unusual cost of $80 (normally $299 from 3rd party retailers as free upgrades are only through DirecTV), would come with a 24 month agreement on the account as they are lease only. The only feature of the HR54 has the HR44 does not, is supporting the 4K Client (C61K). So if you do a 4K upgrade, they would swap the HR44 to the HR54 complimentary as part of the order.

Having a 5th wheel is one big reason not to get the Genie-2 (HS17). It forbids full receivers from being on the account, only allowing Clients. That is restrictive by design, so I wouldn't recommend for most even if the bugs were fully squashed. A Genie and HDDVRs, or possibly with any HD non-DVRs or Client mixed in depending on your preferences, is the best setup. There is no monthly cost difference between HDDVR, HD non-DVR, or Client.

DirecTV has never had the option to transfer recordings from one DVR to another. This is because their design, and agreements with the networks, has the recordings encrypted to the specific DVR even when using an external hard drive instead of the built-in internal.

As for the return process, that changed but seems too many agents quote the old process. You take returnable boxes to a participating FedEx or UPS store (not USPS) for your free return, after the box is no longer active on the account. Keep receipt showing they took possession. DirecTV only sends you a return kit (the old process) if your service address is too far away from a participating shipper.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

It's disgusting to me to see that almost a year later people are still having this issue. What the UPS store told me is that ATT wants them to accumulate a full pallet full of units before shipping them back and that sometimes can take a few months. UPS scans the units into the system and I don't understand why ATT can't link that to their billing system. I encourage everyone to fill out a BBB complaint against ATT. That is how I got my billing issue resolved. This finally got the office of the president's attention and they resolved the issue. What surprises me is that they still haven't fixed their system to prevent this from happening to other people. This is a company that doesn't care about their customers and it is starting to show in their bottom line now. There is now a class action lawsuit pending against DirecTV now for misleading customers on fees and also misinforming investors about sales. I have since switched to DISH and have had great customer service. 

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.