Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

jvini1's profile
jvini1
#1 Star!

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

Mon, Oct 2, 2017 10:52 PM

Genie 2 freezing/skipping

We upgraded to the Genie 2 (C41W-500) on 9/18, and were told during installation that there was a known issue with the picture skipping and freezing. Unfortunately, we didn't realize how bad it was! It happens on every channel, all day, and very frequently. We have our triangle tower (HS17-100) hard-wired, but that hasn't made a difference.

I've called customer support multiple times, but they just advise resetting the receiver, which makes no difference. We are under the Protection Plan for were told that it's a software issue and a new receiver will not make a difference. I spoke to Jeremy (502206) today who said his "hands are tied" and invited me to cancel.

The service is simply unusable at this point! there anything else we are supposed to do?

NV_Lady

Teacher

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

I agree!  It's super annoying!  I have the Genie 2 and experience playback that stops and skips a second or two and then starts back up.  If I backup the recording, it plays normally, which makes me think it's not a recording problem but a playback problem. The server is about 10 feet from the client and like you, the server is hardwired to my router.  I haven't had the time or patience to call support and was hoping to find some answers online.  

jvini1

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

4 y ago

All the answers I have seen online and over the phone is that it's a known issue with no fix, which is frankly embarrassing. The support guy I spoke to encouraged me to cancel and even said that it was "r.etarded" that AT&T rolled it out prematurely. Instead of spending hours more on the phone, I'm hoping someone has an answer here.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

4 y ago

I have the same issue.  It seems like the warmer it is in the house, the worse it gets.  If the picture isn't freezing, the audio is glitching repeatedly.  Very annoying.  Hopefully a software update in the future will solve this.

Abq1212

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

4 y ago

I have same issue.  They have sent 5-6 techs out and finally they admit it is software issue with NO FIX.  Crazy that they would release it and think that this is ok with all of us. 

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.4K Messages

4 y ago

The C41W is the second model of minis released and only wireless model that DTV has and it sets up a separate WiFi network so it doesn't use you WiFi network so the problem is either the C41W or the WVB it needs. 

Abq1212

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

4 y ago

C41W or the WVB is for sure the problem...but Directv has NO FIX for it as of yet.  They are calling it a "software" issue.  They have to have known about this issue as many people are having it.  It makes watching TV so annoying when you miss 1-2 seconds of audio/video every 15 minutes or so.

jvini1

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

4 y ago

That's exactly right, they refused to replace my C41W-500 as they were adamant that it's in "engineering's hands" and that "impacted customers may be compensated at a later date." I requested to either get a Genie 1 or go back to a non-DVR receiver but they said that's not possible either. Somehow, I'm paying much more money for the Genie 2 and receiving inferior service.

Is there any support from ATT/DirecTV on this?!

Abq1212

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

4 y ago

So far no support whatsoever.  They have been to my house 5-6 times and recently they are now admitting that it is software issue and engineering is working on it.  I told them that I don't work for ATT/Directv and really don't want to be the person to test something new that does not work.  Maybe if enough people start complaining and calling in about service they will make it a higher priority to fix issue.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.4K Messages

4 y ago

No idea how many C41W are out there running the same software and there are only a few posts on here about it.

Abq1212

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

4 y ago

I think issue is not just C41W as it is obvious that some people are having issues.  I had never had any issues with directv until I upgraded to Genie 2 system.  It is a REAL issue for the people that are experiencing it.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

4 y ago

I have C61-100 units and am experiencing the same.  So it seems to be more of a HS17 issue than anything else.

jvini1

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

4 y ago

Are there different versions of software out there? And is there any way to check the software version on the C41W?

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

4 y ago

If you go to Settings>>Info & Test from the C41W it should tell you the current software version.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 y ago

We have had 2 service techs to our house! Our picture freezes with major picture blurring and color changes, audio blips in and out, which makes it very difficult to enjoy watching TV!!! We have, also been told it's a known software issue without any solution at this point. Everyday seems worse!
jvini1

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

4 y ago

Mine says: 0xa35 2018/08/01 16:43:17

I wonder if others experiencing issues are on 0xa35 too?

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.