Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

J
John5
#1 Star!
The 5th element!
Helpful 1

• 

21 Messages

Tuesday, November 29th, 2022 1:44 AM

Genie 2 user experience

We have a HR54 Genie and four C41 clients.  The commands such as fast forward, rewind, etc, are very responsive on the main HR54 DVR, but on the C41 clients it is a bit slower.  If we upgrade to a Genie 2 system every TV will be a "remote" so I'm wondering if every TV will be a bit slower at responding to commands.  If so then I'm going to keep the HR54 because today at least that TV responds quickly and its the main TV in the house.

detuch254

ACE - New Member

• 

3.2K Messages

2 months ago

I’m confused where you state that every TV will be a “remote”. With the current system, every C41 has it’s independent RCxx remote as well. As far as the fact that the Genie clients are a bit slower, an HS17 may fix the issue but it certainly isn’t worth the hassle. You’d need to add an additional Genie client to the account since the HS17 itself isn’t the TV. Additionally, if you have any current standalone HD or HDDVR boxes activated on the account with the HR54 (i.e. HR24, H24, or H25) these boxes are simply not permitted with an HS17 system. IMO the HS17 wouldn’t be a good choice right now for you. If need be in the future then fine. But, for now, your HR54 and clients are perfectly fine. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

2 months ago

@detuch254 

I’m confused where you state that every TV will be a “remote”. With the current system, every C41 has it’s independent RCxx remote as well.

I believe the OP is calling Clients "remotes", as they are a remote location to the main box. Seen a few others nickname them that as well.

@John5 

If you ever had the opportunity, I would replace a C41 with an HDDVR (i.e. HR24). That way you get independent processing, as well as more tuners and recording space. That may improve your exact issue, but certainly improve overall setup.

The Genie-2 (HS17) doesn't go on a TV itself, meaning you would end up with one more Client. It forbids other receivers, only allowing Clients. Though newer than the HR54, it locks you to the Clients.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.3K Messages

2 months ago

Clients have to relay the commands to the Genie to act on so yes they are a bit slower doesn't matter what model Genie you have.

John5

• 

21 Messages

2 months ago

All - thanks for the replies.  I have read a good bit about the Genie 2 system and understand that it's a stand-alone tower media server that does not connect to a TV & only supports "clients" (meaning no HR54, HR24 boxes).

----

@detuch254 - thanks for the info.  Just to clarify my wording...  @Juniper  is correct - I am referring to the C41 box as a "remote client" since it's located in a remote location in reference to the main DVR box.

----

@Juniper  - thanks for the recommendation of replacing a C41 box with an HR24.  I agree that an HR24 would probably fix my issues with slow reacting C41 clients.  However, I'm hesitant to invest in old technology and I'm not sure DTV will activate an HR24 if I bought one.  I read that they are not allowing new HR24 devices anymore (not sure that is true).  What are your thoughts on that?

----

@shannon02  - thanks - I believe your answer is the answer I was looking for.... once on a Genie 2 system my main TV that is an HR54 today will respond to commands slower because it will be a C61 client.

BTW, I would have everything wired to the Genie 2, not wireless, but I don't believe that would help my issue.

----

All - I've been with DTV for about 20 years.  My current HR54/C41 Genie system is 4 years old.  Everything is wired with coax and the internet is connected via ethernet cable.  The C41 clients react to commands such as bringing up the guide, fast forward and rewind much slower than the HR54 box.  For the last 2 years I've had frustrating intermittent issues with all the C41 boxes, but mostly in one particular room, where the box stops responding to commands for 10 to 15 seconds.  It's like the box is busy "doing something else" and ignores the command from the remote control for 15 seconds.  It's very intermittent from day-to-day.  One day it will be just fine and cause no problems, but on other days it will be very frustrating and delay or ignore commands all evening long.  Sometimes the commands seem to queue up.  For example, if I have the guide up and press the up arrow 5 times it will eventually (15 seconds later) respond and perform those 5 clicks.  Other times it will never perform those 5 clicks, but 15 seconds later will start working again and responding to new commands.  I have swapped everything in an effort to locate the problem - swapped C41 boxes/power supply/remote control, swapped HDMI cable, connected to the SWM (splitter or whatever its called) with a different coax cable, even a different TV... but this one room has more problems than any other room.  I'm in a single family home sitting in the middle of a 1 acre lot, so there isn't much nearby interference.

When I called DTV they offered to replace the entire system.  That was nice, but they want to install a Genie 2 and I'm afraid this will not be much better than what I have today.

It's just the 2 of us in the house most of the time, with one HR54 and four C41 clients.

My Wife uses the HR54 most of the time and honestly she's the main TV user and she's happy.  If I go to a Genie 2 system I'm afraid she will not be happy with the response times since she will be using a C61 client.

So, back to @Juniper's  suggestion of an HR24 in that one room... that would probably solve my problem since the HR24 would be doing it's own thing and not be "asking" the HR54 to "do things" like the C41 boxes are doing today.  But I'm not sure it's possible replace a C41 with HR24 these days.

If anyone has more thoughts on my situation I'd really like to hear them.  :)

Thanks for taking the time to read my very long post.  It's frustrating and I'm looking for an answer and trying to stay with DTV and not switch to a competitor's system.  We like the traditional user experience of satellite or cable boxes (and we're willing to pay the premium price) and don't want to move to streaming.

Thanks again!

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

2 months ago

Supposedly DirecTV itself is out of HR24s for their upgrade orders. But I don't have a hard answer on that status.

DirecTV will still activate boxes obtained from legitimate means, such as an authorized retailer like Solid Signal. Some newer or outsourced agents might not be familiar with the process as not an internal order.

The normal one-time lease cost is $199 (as only DirecTV itself does a free upgrade), but might be going up as availability dwindles. Still comes with a 24 month service agreement. No change in cost to monthly bill if keeping the same number of TVs.

The HR24 is still a fine model, even though it uses the previous generation UI. More capability with the 2 tuners and 500GB recording space, and still can share recordings with the other boxes even though it doesn't rely on the HR54 to work in the first place.

I really hope the new co-owner will innovate a newer model HDDVR that is built from the start for SWM and is on the newer software to have the best synchronization with the Genies.

John5

• 

21 Messages

2 months ago

@Juniper Can you tell me a little about how a HR24 integrates with a Genie HR54 system?  Meaning from the user experience.  Apparently it integrates and shares recordings both ways.  If I'm on a C41 will I see recordings on both the HR54 and HR24 and how does it look?  Does it separate them by device or is it all just one big list?  I assume to initiate a recording on the HR24 you have to be at that device, meaning I can't tell my C41 to record a show to the HR24.

I'm just curious how it works, how it looks, etc.

Also, on my C41 client pausing issues... I tried everything including the "clearmybox" command on the HR54, multiple times over the last 2 years.  I commonly go aronud the house and reset/reboot all devices every couple months just for good measure.  Do you think a factory reset on the HR54 could possibly solve this problem?  We have only 1 recording saved right now so there's nothing to lose I guess?

Thanks again.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.3K Messages

2 months ago

Try moving that C41 to another location as this sounds more like a box problem not a system problem.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

2 months ago

@John5 

Whole Home DVR allows what is recorded on one HDDVR to be viewed by any other HDDVR (HR20 thru HR24, and special R22), HD non-DVR (H21 thru H25), as well as Genie (HR34 and up) and Mini Genie Client (C31 and up). You can have it without a Genie, but as it is DirecTV's Advanced Whole Home HDDVR it requires the service.

The recordings are not sorted by box, but do show the location (so you know which box the recording on. You can filter the list to that location only. I would like future models to improve that a bit. You can hide a DVR from the others, or just lock out remote deletion (so you need to be at that box to delete its own recordings), but Mini Genies always have access to the main Genie as they are extensions of it.

Correct, one DVR cannot tell another to record. Mini Genies are all telling the Genie to record since they have no capability of their own.

As for the C41, I would verify coax is finger tight to all boxes. Red button reset, or even pull power for at least a minute, first the Genie and then the Mini. The power cycle dumps guide data which should be fully loaded again within 24 hours or so. That might improve responsiveness if anything in memory was the issue. If not, and still only one is experiencing this, then the issue is either the box or connection to that room. You can move Client to see if problem follows it or stays in that room.

John5

• 

21 Messages

2 months ago

Problem seems to be in that room.  But it could just be that the C41 in that room is used more that others in the house, so the problem is more noticeable.  I have moved boxes & their power adapter & remote.  I have replaced the TV and the HDMI cable.  I even replaced the coax cable and connected it to a different port on the splitter in the basement.  So I have changed everything in that room and the problem still persists in that room.  Maybe that room is a portal to another dimension? :-)

I have power cycled everything in the system many times over the 2 years I've had this issue.  I've done "clearmybox" several times.  I've noticed multiple software updates applied to both the C41 and HR54 boxes over that time.  Nothing seems to fix the problem.

Very weird.  I was hoping a whole new system would fix it.  But I don't think I want to go with a Genie 2.  I may investigate getting an HR24 from Solid Signal, but I will check with DTV first.

Thanks!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

2 months ago

The Mini Genie Clients at best would expect to have a bit of delay compared to the Genie since they request from it instead the satellite feed directly.

As you mentioned having 4 Clients, I highly recommend at least one HDDVR. You can only use 3 Clients at the same time at most, since 2 out of the 5 tuners are reserved to the Genie because of the Picture in Picture (PiP) feature. Definitely check with DirecTV first in case they can order one, especially if you have a free upgrade available.

If the issue is noticed on multiple Clients, even after replacing one with an HDDVR so you are not exceeding the maximum, there is another possibility. If a Mini Genie is too far gone (such as not working completely), you could call DirecTV for a warranty replacement. Might get a C51 or C61 depending on stock, though not guaranteed if they have any C41s remaining (cannot select specific model). A warranty replacement is just $19.95 delivery (or covered if paying monthly for the equipment protection plan. Just something that might squeeze out a bit more performance for you.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.