Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

D1gitalC's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sun, Apr 24, 2016 11:36 PM

Getting portable dish for RV

Does any one have any information on a portable DTV dish to use on an RV. What equipment do I need and where to buy it?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ganto2014

Scholar

• 

102 Messages

7 years ago

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I have an old 18 inch round dish that was our orriginal dish in the 90's and use that with a tri-pod that I purchased online.  It only take 5 or 10 minutes to setup but is only SD and not HD.  You can usually find people on craigslist selling old dishes for pretty much nothing these days.  There is usually information on owners groups forums if you are a member of one such as FROG (Forest River Owners Group) as on example.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17K Messages

7 years ago

Most portable/in motion dishes are SD only.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/contentPage.jsp?assetId=P6730097

A lot of RVers get a SWM slimline dish and learn to aim it themselves,  solidsignal.com sells a tripod system.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

43.7K Messages

7 years ago

You'll find a wide variety of SD and HD satellite dishes for RV'er at the Winegard web set.  

ganto2014

Scholar

• 

102 Messages

7 years ago

i think the only in motion dome style dish that can get HD on the fly is the KVH units. there pretty pricey but compared to the king controls junk and the winegaurd units they the best of the bunch. if i rember correctly they will also lock in on the local channels of the area that your in so no more calling in to have your locals changed. now if they break there not cheap to fix!!! and i think KVH needs to do the install not sure though

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Will this work with the Genie system?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

The 18 inch dish is SD only and not a SWiM dish. The Genie system from my understanding requires a SWiM dish which is the bigger slimline dishes.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17K Messages

6 years ago

You can make an old round dish into a SWM system by adding a SWM8 module and a 29v power inserter it will still be in SD.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.