Announcements
Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

jski4178's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thu, Jan 24, 2013 9:28 PM

Hooking up surround sound to mini Genie

Is it possible to hook up my surround sound to the mini Genie.  When the installer was there he told my wife no.  I would have liked to have been there to question this but wasnt.  Can anyone help?

Responses

peds48

Expert

• 

32K Messages

9 y ago

The C31 client only supports Digital out via Digital coax.  If your surround sound does not have Digital coax but has optical, you can get a digital coax to optical adapter in places like www.monoprice.com

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

14.9K Messages

9 y ago

Just for your information the Genie and mini clients are SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) only.

Yes you should be able to hook up your surround sound system if it is a newer system with HDMI or an older system with digital audio, there are two dongles one component and one composite that will allow red/white RCA connections.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 y ago

I have my surround sound system connected directly to my TV. When I switch to "air" TV stations it works fine. Rear speakers produce surround sound. When I use the TV controller to switch TV inputs to the HDMI that is connected to Genie, I get no surround sound on any station. It would seem like the Genie is not passing Surround to my TV.  Any ideas?

Mentor

• 

63 Messages

9 y ago

if your tv has audio out outputs, you can simply connect them to your surround sound ( this is usually with the red and white ) this way whatever is playing on your tv will be playing on your surrond

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 y ago

Thanks for your reply, however, My TV-surround connection works fine when I watch TV broadcasts over the air, but not from Genie/Directv.   I believe that, possibly, Genie is not forwarding surround thru the HDMI connection to my TV.  Any ideas?

peds48

Expert

• 

32K Messages

9 y ago

Exactly, the Audio out on your TV is not designed to pass DD5.1 from other sources but the built in OTA tuner.  you need to connect the client DIRECtLY to your surround system

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.2K Messages

9 y ago

To clarify. Virtually no TVs pass DD 5.1 on their optical audio output when the source is not the TV's own built-in ATSC tuner. This is because the only DD 5.1 decoder the TV has is the one in the ATSC chipset.  The only way to get DD5.1 from the Genie (or any DirecTV receiver) is to connect the Genie directly to the A/V receiver.

dcd

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

9 y ago

Quote: Originally Posted by lbuttrum 

I have my surround sound system connected directly to my TV. When I switch to "air" TV stations it works fine. Rear speakers produce surround sound. When I use the TV controller to switch TV inputs to the HDMI that is connected to Genie, I get no surround sound on any station. It would seem like the Genie is not passing Surround to my TV.  Any ideas?

AS you can see from posts #7 and #8 you aren't going to be able to get surround sound from both off air and satellite signals using a single setup.  Unfortunately most amplifiers only have one digital input.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 y ago

Thank everyone for their responses.  All of them helped me to understand the #2 response better.  I have ordered the  digital coax to optical adapter from Monoprice.com..  Should get it in a week.  Will let you know how it works.

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.