Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

DFord6L's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tue, Feb 13, 2018 3:21 AM

How do I establish an Ethernet connection to my TV for updates.

One problem to solve. Go to number 2 to skip the clutter.

1.  I have a whole home Genie HR34-700 in our entertainment room.

Our Direct Tv technician hooked up a DCA2sr1-01 (Connected Home Adapter) to our Xfinity router and this feeds data to our coaxial cable. At the end of the line, there is a splitter and one cable goes to the receiver and the other cable goes to a powered adapter feeding an ethernet cable to a wifi access point and then distributes ethernet to our Xbox and Samsung smart TV.

2.  The problem I want to solve:  Our living room also has a Samsung Smart Tv but it fails to connect to wifi. I want to bring an ethernet cable to it and my Blue Ray player. 

The receiver for our living room is an HR24-500. 

Question: Can I run an ethernet cable from the HR24-500 ethernet port on the back of the HR24-500 to an ethernet hub and connect both my tv and BR player to the internet?
                      If not, what can I do to accomplish this goal?
I did not see this issue addressed on the forum.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

41.5K Messages

4 y ago

No, you can't use the HR24's ethernet port to provide a network connection to other devices.  That port is for the HR24's own network connection.  The HR24 can also use the HR34's network connection via DECA Coax networking, so that's why there's no ethernet cable currently connected.  You'll need to find some other way to feed an ethernet line and switch for your TV and BluRay. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

4 y ago

With the Whole Home DVR setup, one internet connection works for all Directv boxes. So the connected home adapter provides the internet through the coax to the Directv boxes via the HR34.

Directv boxes do not provide internet to other equipment (Blu-ray player, game console, smart TVs, etc.)

You would need to provide a different connection for your TV and blue ray player either by their own direct Ethernet (possibly with a Ethernet switch) or a wireless access point if they don't have their own WiFi option.

As a side note since you have the 1st generation Genie (HR34) I would suggest being prepared to warranty replace it (not upgrade). The later Genies (HR44, HR54) were built with a faster processor and more efficient cooling resulting in a sleeker design. The HR34 is known for overheating and slowness as it hasn't been able to keep up with later updates to the services. Such as the HR34 is unable to utilize the MobileDVR feature. This is why the HR34 was made non returnable a few years ago. When you are ready to do the replacement, just make sure you are caught up on the recordings first as they do not copy to the replacement. If offered an upgrade to the Genie-2 (HS17) say no as unlike the regular Genies it does not work with HDDVRs (like your HR24) so would be a downgrade in service (plus it is still a buggy system).

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 y ago

I read a specification saying the HR24 has a built in DECA how it is
applied is not explained.

>From my router, there is a DCA2SR1-01 Connected Home Adapter feeding
ethernet signal into my main splitter sending the signal throughout the
house.

Would this allow me to use a coax splitter (SWM) and a DIRECTV 3rd
Generation Broadband DECA to create an ethernet connection at the desired
point?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G9AZ78E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3BXN7IC79JS3F&th=1

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N6YC9Q9/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I37ONBZABZNFD9&colid=2SUQ7GHGQM3EA&psc=1

Please let me know.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 y ago

Great information. Our HR34 is very slow at times and I often wondered what
the problem is.

Thank you

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.