Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

pndfam05's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Fri, Jun 6, 2014 6:51 PM

HR24-100 Optical Out Always Active?

Is the HR24-100 always sending output through the optical cable even when it's turned off?

I have an HR24-100 and a Bose CineMate sound system. The signal from the DVR to the Bose is the optical out from the DVR to a Bose interface module. The interface module allows the connection of another device connected by RCA cables (say an iPhone headphone out to the RCA) into the interface module.

This setup has worked fine since I installed it back in February. If the DVR was OFF I could connect the iPhone through the headphone and it would play fine. If I turned the DVR on the interface would pick up the higher definition DVR signal and switch to that.

It worked fine up until a few weeks ago.

Now, the interface always stays with the DVR even when the DVR is off unless I unplug the optical from the interface module. Anytime the DVR is plugged into the wall current the optical cable is illuminated. I can't remember if the red light stopped when the DVR was turned off or if it was still illuminated. It seems to me that when the HR24 is turned off the red light should go off as well.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

8年前

I Have a CinaMate ii .....

The stb does not have a continuous optical output when in standby ..

I have  all my components connected to the TV via HDMI and then connected to the CineMate via optical output ...works like a charm .

I also listen to my Iphone/ipod,etc..via RCA/auxiliary and have no problems.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

43.3K Messages

8年前

The HR24's optical audio port should be "off" when the DVR is in Standby.  

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

8年前

Does your TV have an Optical output?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8年前

When the DVR is off or in sb will there still be red light coming out of the optical cable?

Mine does and I think the interface is reading that as a s signal. Is that possible?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8年前

Great suggestion and I tried it last night. The DVR is connected to the TV (LG flat screen) by HDMI cable and the TV sound out set to optical I have spotty sound through the Bose. It pops in for a few seconds and then goes silent.

Unfortunately I don't have another component with which I can test the TV output. But, given that the Bose wirks properly with the optical audio out from the DVR I speculate that the Bose is not the problem.

Any suggestions on testing the optical out from the TV?

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

8年前

You might want to try an Analog to Digital Optical Audio Cable Converter Adapter.

You can get one pretty cheap. $10.00-15.00 maybe even cheaper.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8年前

I finally got around to testing this option (TV isn't a high priority for me) and found that it works perfectly.

The first time I tried this I had spotty sound. It would pop in and then out, repeatedly. It turns out the optical connection wasn't pushed all the way in. Fixed that and now it works great.

Thank you for helping me with my problem.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.