Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

jemmej's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sun, Aug 13, 2017 12:25 PM

HR44-500 / Will internal drive recordings return after removing external drive?

My HR44-500's internal drive is full. Can I connect an external drive, record to it, and then later watch recordings from the internal drive by disconnecting the external drive? In other words, can I switch between drives by disconnecting and reconnecting the external drive?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.9K Messages

5 years ago

Yes you can, when you install the external drive the recordings on the internal drive remain. But the connectors are not designed to be plugged and replugged over and over again so it's not recommended.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17K Messages

5 years ago

If you can catch up on the amount of recordings you are comfortable with, then installing a larger capacity eSATA hard drive to use for the long run would be the safest way to go for space on the Genie itself.

Alternatively, if you have any Mini Genie Clients, you can replace those with HDDVRs for no increase in monthly cost. Each HDDVR has 2 tuners and 500GB hard drive (half the size of the Genie's 1TB) and each HDDVR can watch what the others have recorded. If you have a Mini and a free upgrade, I say swap a Mini. Keep in mind free upgrades tend to only cover 1 box, others outside of a free upgrade are one-time cost $199 each.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.