Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

lordodogg's profile
lordodogg
#1 Star!
Helpful 1
Picasso

Scholar

• 

133 Messages

Thu, Jul 8, 2021 2:55 PM

IP Address Change

Yesterday. I had wondered why my IP-based Remotes weren’t working. After going into the System Info screen and scrolling to IP Address, I noticed that it changed from ending in 79 to ending in 81 for some reason. I haven’t found any other info on other forums that describes why this sudden change would happen. Yes, I already reprogrammed the remotes to be based off this new address.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Constructive

Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

5 m ago

you have a dynamic ip not static and are subject to change, doesnt happen often but it does

lordodogg

Scholar

• 

133 Messages

5 m ago

I see. It’s just that I’ve previously had the same address ending in 79 for years and years ever since I first got the Genie system in 2016.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

530 Messages

5 m ago

I'm assuming that your IP-based remote initially got an IP address from your home's DHCP server (usually your Gateway/router) via a DHCP request.  As long as it continues to renew this address, it should keep it.  If for some reason the Gateway/router lost its record of it (maybe because the remote lost battery power and didn't renew for a while) and gave the IP to some other device, then the renewal would not work and it'd be given another.

Most Gateway/routers would allow you to tell it to reserve the IP to that device (by its MAC address) so it won't change.

(edited)

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.