Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

LongtimeDTVuser's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, September 10th, 2018 12:13 PM

Mini-Genies not visible form the DirecTV web page when I try to select a program to record

Just upgraded to 2 mini-genies from older HD DVR receivers.  Mini-Genies are not visible on the web page when I go to select a program to record, just the main Genie.  I used to be able to see all 3 devices in the older set-up.  What gives?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.9K Messages

4 years ago

The genie clients don't have tuners, they use tuners from the main genie server, so you can't set up a program to record on the minis, only on the main Genie server.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks - the DTV folks told me I could record up to 2 programs simultaneously on each of the mini- Genies....  I had put off doing the upgrades since I didn't want to lose the 9 recorder capability I had.  I guess my fears were realized.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

4 years ago

they said what?

what receivers do you? model numbers

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.9K Messages

4 years ago

That's a load of BS. The genie clients do not have any tuners, they "steal" tuners from the Genie.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

They are both C41W-100.  Even the tech who came to install them told me I could record up to 2 programs simultaneously.  I had held on to my old model DVRs due to the ability to record on them and to program them from the website.  Would not have switched if I knew I would lose that capability. 

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

4 years ago

@LongtimeDTVuser wrote:

They are both C41W-100.  Even the tech who came to install them told me I could record up to 2 programs simultaneously.  I had held on to my old model DVRs due to the ability to record on them and to program them from the website.  Would not have switched if I knew I would lose that capability. 

you can record 5 with a genie

just none with a mini. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

4 years ago

That was only an "upgrade" in the sense you are getting equipment with different capability. The C41W is the wireless model allowing moving between rooms as desired without needing a tech install each time.

Generally speaking, Clients are a downgrade from HDDVRs. Think of it as having all 3 TVs off one box using the same tuners and recording space. So HDDVRs are better as they have 2 tuners each and their own recording space (500GB as of recent models).

Make sure not to get new Genie-2 (HS17) as that forbids HDDVRs which hard caps the tuners. Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) with 2 HDDVRs is more capability than the Genie-2 can reach.

Since you just upgraded, I would call DirecTV back and submit a complaint on the agent and tech for both claiming Clients had tuners like a full reciever. When you get the voice system, say "cancel" to get their retention department as I doubt front line agents can fix this completed order.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.