Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

LostTrail's profile
LostTrail
#1 Star!
10th stratosphere!
Mission control approves!

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Tue, Oct 18, 2016 3:13 PM

Moved, DirecTV promises broken

We moved recently and had our DirecTV reconnected yesterday at the new location. Sadly, a lot of what we were promised never transpired.

When I setup the move order (2.5 hours on the phone, transfered to 3 different people), I asked for the 4K bundle upgrade.

I was aksed what internet service we have: AT&T U-verse Business class at 45Mb. I was told that was great and no problems.

I was also offered all the preminum channels (we already subscribe to HBO & Starz) for 3 months at no charge, then could cancel if we wanted.

Additionally, I was offered the remainder of NFL Sunday Ticket Max 2016 for free and free equipment upgrade.

Cool, nothing out of pocket, some nice incentives.

Then the technician arrived yesterday.

1) Tech tests our WiFi speed and informs me that it is not up to their minimum requirement for 4K. Can't install 4K. After some discussions with his supervisor and DirecTV, I decide to have all our existing equipment installed. I can set the Yamaha RX-A3050 to upscale to 4K on the new 4K tv.

2) Tech spends several hours replacing the old DirecTV dish and searching for cables that already existed from previous DirecTV subscriber.

3) Tech go through the whole "You will receive a survey, please rate me all 10's". I was prepared to until I found cutoff pieces of cable left in rooms and the old dish left in our garage.

4) last night I look through all the premium channels and we are NOT getting Showtime, Encore, TMC. Just our normal HBO and Starz.

So this morning I called DirecTV to attempt to get this resolved but was informed that there is nothing in our account reflecting what I was told we would receive free. The only promotion they could offer is NFL Sunday Ticket at 1/2 price.

Now I just received a call from Mastec (DirecTV install contractor) telling me my installation is not complete and is on hold pending a call from me to reschedule. Called them back and they are clueless.

So, Mastec technician will not be getting 10's across the board due to leaving garbage behind in 2 out of 3 rooms and leaving the old dish in the garage. DirecTV will not honor what was promised during the initial scheduling of the move order.

I'm done with DirecTV. Their service and support have been declining for years but now that AT&T purchased them, it's getting worse at a faster rate.

Once our commitment is done and we can get out without penalty, goodbye.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

6 y ago

when the tech showed up and didnt have the equipment you wanted you should have cancelled.

once he does the install and signs off its on you.

but you do have a warranty period, not sure what it is

LostTrail

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

6 y ago

Tech had the equipment but said his test of our wifi was not at speeds that would allow them to install 4k.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

6 y ago

wifi speed should not affect 4k install

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

6 y ago

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4606/~/does-the-4k-genie-mini-require-an-internet-connection%3F

Does the 4K Genie Mini require an Internet connection?

Print

No, the 4K Genie Mini does not require an Internet connection. However, you will need an Internet connection at the time of installation to get your 4K television set up to receive DIRECTV 4K content. Additionally, an Internet-connected Genie HD DVR will allow you to access the full benefits of 4K service on all your TVs.

LostTrail

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

6 y ago

I asked if they could just hardwaire it, he said they could but their requirement for installing 4K devices was a wifi speed of 25Mb, our was 16Mb.

Just relaying what he and his supervisor said.

LostTrail

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

6 y ago

We currently have a HR44-200 and two (2) Genie Mini C51-500. I was told for 4K we would have to swap out the HR44 and one C51.

Tech and his supervisor said they could not upgrade due to wifi speed not being sufficient.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

6 y ago

so they are going to deny 4k to all thier subs with no internet now? interesting

LostTrail

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

6 y ago

It's ok, Since DirecTV only has what, 2 4K channels and a limited number of 4K On Demnad movies, we're not paying for 4K, but I'm having the Yamaha RX-A3050 upscale everything to 4K. Looks awesome. And since the Sony XBR-65X850D is connected to the internet, we can stream 4K content from multiple sources. We watched a 4K movie on Vudu over the weekend and it was great.

Our commitment to DirecTV ends Nov 23, 2017 so by then there should be even more alternatives to streaming nearly everything we want and not have to be paying DirecTV anymore.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

6 y ago

4k costs nothing extra, its inluded in the top 2 packs

for now anyway

LostTrail

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

6 y ago

Well, we are in Pack #3 so it was going to be at least a $10/mo increase. The more I think about it, the happier I am that it didn't happen. Will be glad to leave DirecTV when the time comes. Seems to be nothing but issues and problems with a decline in customer service anymore.

Thanks for letting me vent and get this worked out of my system.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

6 y ago

4K install requires home internet to be available for software update upon install. 4K does not work off wi-fi itself, still a live channel from the satellite.

If you order included a 4K upgrade, they would provide you a H54 Genie and C61 Mini Genie Client (Client on the 4K tv itself) as that is the only equipment setup that supports 4K at this time.

You say you have Starz, but not Encore. Encore, as it has been for years, is part of Starz. Rebranded within the last year to StarzEncore to better reflect this. Channels 535 - 542. What happens when you go to those channels?

Yes, technician should not have left a mess. Regarding old dish and cabling, they do not take those back as those became part of the home when they were originally installed. You can check www.directv.com/recycle on options to get rid of the dish. Though techs are not required to do anything with old cabling, at least they should move it out of the way, or as a courtesy cut any uncessesary ones from sticking out.

peds48

Expert

• 

32K Messages

6 y ago

@Juniper 

4K install requires home internet to be available for software update upon install

for DIRECTV branded equipment, it does not. For RVU TVs, yes

LostTrail

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

6 y ago

So is hard wiring for internet an option? Tech said yes, but had to reach 25Mb wifi speed, thus we could not have 4K service.

LostTrail

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

6 y ago

Then, what about the promises made when setting up the move order about Showtime, TMC and NFL Sunday Ticket, that did NOT happen once we got setup after the move?

LostTrail

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

6 y ago

Juniper, you are correct, my bad on listing Encore there. We do get Encore, 535-542.

On the cabling being left behind issue, I'm talking about the bits and pieces he cut off, trimmed for new connectors, copper ends 1/4" long, sheathing, barrel connector, old connectors. He could have at least picked them up and asked where our garbage can was.

Now I keep getting calls from Mastec, the installer, telling me that our installation is on hold and needs to be completed. I got two of these calls yesterday, was informed that they would take care of it and I would not receive any further calls.

Just got another call and same promise made.

DirecTV and their contracted installer is a joke. Really getting tired of all the annoyances and failure of anyone at DirecTV to care about customer service.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.