Please pardon our dust while we are making some changes to our DIRECTV Community Forum. Starting Thur. 10/06, this site will be read-only until changes are completed on Fri. 10/07. Thank you for your patience.

meratara17's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Oct 2, 2013 11:12 PM

Need ideas to make bucket pole holder of some sort

Landlord at my apartment complex said she doesn't want the satellite to hang off the side i was wondering if anyone had any idea what size pole or specification i need to look for my step dad is a carpenter and says he has an idea how to do it we also watched a youtube video but we just cant figure out the exact the sizing. p.s on a budget that's why im trying to create something ive read online it can be up to $75 to have them make you one

peds48

Expert

• 

32K Messages

9 y مضت

DirecTV uses a 2" OD (outside diameter) pole.  however, bucket pole mounts are not approved by DirecTV and are greatly discouraged

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 y مضت

aww darnn you think even if i make it all fancy and stable they probably still wouldn't approve ? do you have any other diy ideas

wyounce

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

9 y مضت

Buckets are not DirecTv approved mostly because if bucket or the dish gets bumped it will lose angle to satellite. You may get a Tech/Installer who will do it. There are some places where you can buy tripods that can hold the dish but I think it also not approved by DirecTv. But again I see a lot of our dishes in buckets and on tripods.

peds48

Expert

• 

32K Messages

9 y مضت

Of course you can do it yourself, but a DirecTV tech would NOT be able to service it if you ever (you will) have problems.

shadedaddy

Mentor

• 

75 Messages

9 y مضت

You can buy a tripod online and then either weight it down or possibly fasten it to a deck. You can get them in 1.66" (for older 18" & 18x20" dishes) or 2" (for all HD & more modern SD dishes) OD. Measure the diameter of your current mount to find out.

You can buy the appropriate piece of pipe and put it in a bucket, plumb it, then fill it with cement. You could even try #2 gravel as curing cement may cause the bottom of the bucket to round which could cause your bucket to spin out of alignment. (I had that happen to me once.) You can put registration marks on the bucket and the ground to help you get back into quick alignment.

I've also seen customers make stabilized posts for the deck or balcony. then you just bolt the mast to the post.

You can buy a non-penetrating roof mount and weight it with breeze blocks. DTV is even developing a special "extra tall" mast for use in balcony situations. That mast is coming soon.

You can do a rail mount but part of the dish will be outside of your balcony area.

There is DTV-approved and then there is doing what you can to get a satellite signal to get DTV. (There's a well-known photo of a guy in Louisiana sitting in a boat peaking a dish mounted to a pole in a lake! Talk about off the hook!) With any of these scenarios you should train yourself to peak your own dish. Either use your box and the signal meters screen or buy a dedicated meter online. Then practice it a bunch of times so you can do it smoothly and quickly should your dish go out. On a patio or balcony it's easy to DIY. Then you can even take your dish, tv and box on the road and so long as you have a power inverter you can watch DTV in a field!

On a rooftop, leave it to the paid & insured guy. (I have regularly had customers tell me that the CSR told them to up on the roof and peak their own dish! They told me to do it (before I took the job)! Gave me instructions how. And I did it! Why? Because I'm a homeowner and I see it as part of my responsibility to be able to inspect/access any part of my house personally. However, the boneheads  did NOT tell me to peak my international dish for the 95° sat instead of the 101°. Du-uh! This part isn't the rocket science part, and if I can do it, anyone can do it.

Good luck out there.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.