Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

C

• 

1 Message

Sat, Oct 31, 2020 3:29 AM

Phone connections still required?

I am moving and having DIRECTV install at new home. My question is do you still need phone lines for the receiver in the genies? Or are they not required anymore and just having high-speed Wi-Fi will suffice?  I do not have phone lines near where I plan to install the TVs. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

1 y ago

Phone lines are no longer needed as the newer receivers no longer have phone jacks nor is WiFi, internet is only needed for On Demand, start from the beginning and paying for PPV with the remote.

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

1 y ago

Phone connections are not only no longer required, but boxes aren't made with phone jacks anymore. They were for outdated options that have been replaced by updates to the service and internet connected options.

However, what are the model numbers of each box you have now? That will determine if you have any requirements, or perhaps some options to consider.

ganto2014

Scholar

• 

95 Messages

1 y ago

i have a genie 2 and it's hardwired into my internets and there's no phone jack on it it also has wifi built in for a wireless setup. do they even activate boxes with phone lines anymore??? the genies have wifi and a ethernet port on the back. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

1 y ago

@ganto2014 

They no longer make boxes with phone jacks. The 2nd generation Genie (HR44) was the last, though the software update made the jack practically worthless.

The Genie-2 (HS17) only allows Clients. So your account is forbidden from activating receivers, regardless if they have phone jack or not.

Boxes are no longer allowed to be reactivated, so highly unlikely for someone to have a box with a phone jack that wasn't in use before. However if you get one from a authorized retailer then in theory it should be activatable (not if you have the Genie-2), but there have been issues activating boxes not ordered thru DirecTV itself since they went to the new account system.

Starting with 2nd gen Genie (HR44) they have the wireless CCK built-in that supports both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The external CCK (used through 1st gen Genie HR34) only supports 2.4Ghz. They all support direct Ethernet, or deca bridging Ethernet and router.

• 

4 Messages

5 m ago

Why do the local installers keep insisting that an active phone line is required? The equipment you sent me "and billed me for $75" doesn't have a phone line connection. The old-fashioned phone lines are now dead and the installers were unable to get to were the wires come into the apartment building. So I have to live with obsolete Spectrum Cable and two useless AT&T boxes.

Can you send someone to explain everything to me. Your offices a very far away and the people on the phones are not helpful.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

5 m ago

@RichardVH 

DirecTV does not have offices you can go to. If you mean an AT&T location, those are not DirecTV employees. So though they work similar to a 3rd party retailer when it comes to DirecTV.

Phone line hasn't been required in many years. Boxes aren't made with the phone jack any more. Old fashion phone lines are still in use for some, but because of most people favoring another phone type over it there is no longer value in phone line connected for DirecTV.

In any case nobody will be sent to explain anything to you. You call customer support for explanations, not have someone go out in person to go "very far away" just to have a conversation.

• 

4 Messages

5 m ago

I did talk to the phone in service and they insisted no phone line is required but the two installers insist on having it. They don't connect to the cable. So what do I do now? The community bus doesn't go to your offices. And I can't walk that far. I will need someone that knows how to connect the two boxes I have.

Richard J. Van Haren

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

5 m ago

@RichardVH 

No bus goes to their offices as their are none to go to. DirecTV does not have offices, stores, etc. for customers to walk in.

DirecTV is not a matter of connecting to cable but is service by satellite. I'm beginning to think you have a different service.

First of all what actual service and equipment do you have? Can you verify model numbers and perhaps what exact TV provider you have?

• 

4 Messages

5 m ago

I am suppose to be communicating with AT&T. Who are you representing?

Were I previously lived I had AT&T services over the phone line. But here there is no AT&T phone line, just Time Warner Cable/Spectrum over cable. To include my AT&T phone is hooked up to the router. But now AT&T advertises the phone line is no longer used. 

So what is used to get my services?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

5 m ago

This the DTV satellite forum.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

5 m ago

@RichardVH 

Well I have answered that in my signature of every single one of my posts. But let me make it clear.

This is a public forum, specifically the section for DirecTV. So this is a community of other customers. We try to help each other out based on the information someone posts. Based on how you explain your setup and the $75 charge, I don't believe that DirecTV is the service you have but one of AT&T's other TV providers.

For official support of either AT&T or DirecTV, you call them.  If you want guidance from others in the community, then please read the posts in their entirety to avoid confusion and to be sure you are posting in a relevant thread. Even create your own thread if needed, but be sure it is in the correct section.

• 

4 Messages

5 m ago

But why did they send me to you? I don't even know what you are.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

1.3K Messages

5 m ago

@RichardVH “They” didn’t send you to anyone. They referred you to this community forum. Once again, it’s a community forum, not customer support. Unfortunately, many agents don’t seem to know that.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

5 m ago

@RichardVH 

I don't even know what you are.

Don't know how my last post was confusing, but let's see if this clears it up for you.

This is a public forum of other customers.

I am a customer like most on this forum.

This section of the AT&T forum is for DirecTV service.

This is not customer support.

Sometimes we can help find a solution or guidance for each other.

If you cannot get to an AT&T store, then you call official support.

AT&T does not send someone if you can't go to store.

Though AT&T bought DirecTV, there are no DirecTV stores so you call for support.

Agents refer to the forum because a community of other customers, many whom are very experienced with the different products and services, can sometimes be of help. Unfortunately there are few employees, such as outsourced ones, who might not understand that this is not official support itself.

So if you were to explain in detail your issue, and in a new thread I would suggest, then hopefully a solution can be figured out. At the very least you should be pointed in the right direction.

(edited)

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.