Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

ncoulston's profile
ncoulston
#1 Star!
The 5th element!

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Sat, Feb 25, 2017 2:56 PM

Sorry this tv does not support directv component cables message

I am constantly getting the following message on my TV: "Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program." I do not have plugins on my receiver for component cables. This message started popping up about 3 months ago and has become much more frequent. I am thinking the receiver is faulty.

Spoiler

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

DTV_Assist25

Associated Member

• 

288 Messages

5 y ago

Try resetting the TV itself by unplugging the power cord for 30 sec and plugging it back in. Sometimes it's just a "handshake" issue between the receiver and the tv. 

@DTV_Assist25 is there a list of TVs that will work with Directv. I ask as I just bought a New TCL-ROKU And spent all afternoon with a Directv Install a Tech and his Tech Support and the conclusion was the TV was too new and Directv hadn’t developed the software yet to match that TV.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

40.8K Messages

5 y ago

What model DVR/Receiver?

Have you tried a new HDMI cable?

Is the DVR/Receiver connected directly to your HDTV?  Or through an AV Receiver or Soundbar?

Does your HDTV have its latest firmware updates?

ncoulston

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

5 y ago

Thanks for the reply.

Receiver model is C41-500.

Switched to a new HDMI cable about a month ago.

Direct connection from the receiver to the TV.

I have not checked for firmware updates. Will do so when I figure out how.

It seems that a hard restart helps to extend times between those annoying messages. It seems they are mostly occurring in the morning- strange as it may seem.
ncoulston

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

5 y ago

Thank you! Finally resolved. I reset the TV and also switched the HDMI cable (again). 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 y ago

I have the same problem. I called Directv and was told that I need a 2.0 or 2.2 cable with protection. I would like to know if this will solve the problem and has anyone else done this?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 y ago

This solution worked for me as well!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 y ago

I reset everything by turning off the surge protector for 30 seconds or so and switched the HDMI cable (Apple TV and Directv box)... turned surge protector on  ... problem solved.  I have a Vizio sound bar which I must reset from time to time ... might be an issue inherent in this brand.  Hope this helps!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

How about changing the messaging on the screen?  The tech on phone support has never heard of this and believes the receiver is faulty.  Come on, get it together!!

ncoulston

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

4 y ago

WRONG!!! HDMI cable was bad. Thanks for not resolving the issue.
Jazzyjames

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

4 y ago

If this fix doesn’t solve the problem permanently, call tech support and ask them to ship you a component cable with a ten pin connector.

TheBlueMax

Scholar

• 

169 Messages

4 y ago

Just unplugging the television and Mini-Genie only makes it go away for a couple of days.  Tried updating the television's firmware and software.  Need to have DirecTV force a software reload from their side AFTER rebooting the television and Mini-Genie.  Never had this problem before the software upgrade.  It only occurs on one of my five 4K televisions with brand new equipment.. (?@#$%^)  They tell me that there are known problems with the new Mini-Genie and Genie 2 which could be causing the problem.  Wonder if the fully tested the new equipment with the new software.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!!  Give us our old, reliable software back!!!!!

TheBlueMax

Scholar

• 

169 Messages

4 y ago

Downgrading from HDMI cables to component cables doesn't solve the software problem.  It just skirts around it.  I had one technician try to tell me that it was impossible for my HDMI cable to have worked before.  Garbage!  It's a DirecTV software and equipment compatibility problem.  The list of HDCP 2.2 compatible televisions DirecTV is getting from Intel is incomplete/erroneous.  I have a 2016 4K Samsung that IS compatible, but keep getting this error.  Never had the problem before my "upgrade."

TheBlueMax

Scholar

• 

169 Messages

4 y ago

This is a DirecTV problem, nobody else's.  Lots of excuses and shifting the blame.  This problem only started after upgrading equipment and software download.  All four of the other Samsung 4K tv's and Mini-Genies work fine.  Replaced the HDMI cable, unplugged the tv and Mini-Genie, and had DirecTV force reload.  Holding my  breathe.  Next step:  Have them come out and replace the Mini-Genie.

TheBlueMax

Scholar

• 

169 Messages

4 y ago

jazzyjames:  Sadly, many of the newer TVs no longer have sockets for component cables, and we are stuck with HDMI sockets.

TheBlueMax

Scholar

• 

169 Messages

4 y ago

I finally figured this out.  The "On" signal was not getting to both my television and the mini-Genie hidden behind it on the wall mount.  Solution:  Stand where you have line of sight to both when you push the "On" button.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.