Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

H

• 

4 Messages

Tue, Aug 9, 2022 6:46 PM

Upgrade to same model receiver?

I received an email with details about a "self installation" to replace my existing receiver.  A few days later the new box arrived and I installed it.  What struck me as odd is it was the same model as the replacement and 5 years old.  What's that all about?

The annoying activation process:

After connecting the "new" receiver, the instructions on the TV indicated to go to www.directv.com/activate.  Very annoying to discover it's not a valid web page.  It could at least tell you to call.

So I used option 2 and called 800 388-6597.  The automated activation process was working well until it got to a point where the remote was needed and didn't work.  I had to abandon the call.

Before making the next call I pressed and held MUTE/ENTER in hopes of configuring the remote.  The receiver rebooted and performed a SW update.  It finally ended up back on the set up menu indicating I had to call directv.  <sigh>

So on to option 3 calling support to talk to a rep.  They called back in about 20 minutes and we worked through the same activation process.  This time the remote worked and we successfully completed the activation.

All that to get the same model receiver that's 5 years old.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17K Messages

4 months ago

Why would DTV replace Genies that where made in the last 5 or more years with 1 or 2 TB hard drives with HD receivers made 10 to 15 years ago with only 500GB hard drives?

Good4u

Contributor

• 

78 Messages

4 months ago

They're not. They're replacing HR 24s or older DVRs with Genies or Genie clients on service calls as HR 24s are no longer widely available. Since it a service swap there is no impact as to contract or monthly charges.

(edited)

detuch254

ACE - New Member

• 

2.6K Messages

4 months ago

Oh because in your previous post you said they swapped Genies FOR HD DVRs. I was completely confused.

Good4u

Contributor

• 

78 Messages

4 months ago

Sorry for the confusion, I guess the word swap can go either way. My fault for not more clearly stating my comment.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.