Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

Mathew28's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Fri, Oct 5, 2018 11:22 AM

What directv 4k box to get?

Since my 2 years is up,  I have called twice the directv tech support line and asked for hr54 with 2 year renewal.  However they constantly say only hr17.  I been reading on this forum a number of issues with hr17.  I saw many issues were earlier this year.  Did it get resolved?  Any trick to get them give me hr54?

I currently have hr44 with no 4k second tuner box.  I believe that is c51.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

4 years ago

The HR44 doesn't get the 3 4K channels but it will record the 4K PPV movies but to watch in 4K you have to have a C61K mini connected to the 4K TV.

You can't upgrade within the Genie family so only way to get an HR54 is to do a 4K upgrade but you have to have a 4K TV to connect the C61K mini to at the time of install.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

4 years ago

if you have the hr44 and c51 only

then either will work

i would actually wait until a newer box arrives, the 4k is too limited atm

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I recall a tech came out and said  I need to upgrade from hr44 because it doesn't support it? 

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

4 years ago

correct, the hr44 does not support 4k

but as i said there is so little, its not really worth the hassle of losing recordings and resetting all timers.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

4 years ago

@Mathew28 wrote:

Since my 2 years is up,  I have called twice the directv tech support line and asked for hr54 with 2 year renewal.  However they constantly say only hr17.  I been reading on this forum a number of issues with hr17.  I saw many issues were earlier this year.  Did it get resolved?  Any trick to get them give me hr54?

I currently have hr44 with no 4k second tuner box.  I believe that is c51.

HR44 was tested in the early days for 4K service with some special PPVs, but in the end it was determined it came up a bit short on the capability needed. The Genie-2 (HS17) because of restrictive design, post launch bugs, and would be having 1 more box connected than you have TVs (it is a server tower that sits by itself) it is not recommended. Though HR44 to HR54 is like for like, not an upgrade, yes there is a way to get it.

Call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000. Request to upgrade the C51 to the 4K Client C61K. This order would require tech on site to complimentary swap the HR44 for the HR54 to be compatible to compete the 4K upgrade. Remember that when replacing any DVR, the recordings do not transfer, so be caught up first. Alternatively as there is limited 4K content, you could instead of a 4K upgrade, replace the C51 with a HDDVR to gain 2 tuners, 500GB recording space, and independent processing. No difference in monthly cost between Mini Genie or HDDVR.

For reference here are the 4K requirements:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only three 4K channels. 1 regular, 1 select sporting events, 1 PPV.

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I called 800 number and tried to get me hr7 still.   They said their system cant display the hr54 and can't offer to me for free.   Is hr17 that bad? No improvements since beginning of year? No other way getting hr54?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

4 years ago

Ask if they have the option to do a 4K upgrade on the C51 itself without selecting the main Genie. This is what they used to do before the HS17 came out and the tech would on their end have to bring the HR54 to replace the HR44 to complete the 4K upgrade, but the agent over the phone wouldn't see the HR54 themselves. Just like if you have 3 HDDVRs (6 total tuners) and upgraded one to the Genie (with 2 HDDVRs that is now 9 total tuners)) which would require changing your SWM 8 to a SWM 16 by the tech, but that is just a technical requirement that the agent didn't have to select when you placed the order.

So hopefully you can just do the Client upgrade and everything else follows by the tech per the requirements. With them heavily pushing the HS17 I don't know for certain if they can still order it that way, but I would ask.

The HS17 just like the HR44/HR54 has been receiving software updates to the new interface that has made some improvements. But with being a Client only system any bugs hit it harder, plus you loose the freedom and reliability of having dedicated HDDVRs including more tuners if needed for your household. As long as it forbids HDDVRs, I cannot personally recommend the system.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.