Please pardon our dust while we are making some changes to our DIRECTV Community Forum. Starting Thur. 10/06, this site will be read-only until changes are completed on Fri. 10/07. Thank you for your patience.

wwh's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Fri, Aug 5, 2011 3:46 PM

What type of dish do I have

My dish has a label that says SL5K4NRO-02.  In my setup screen shows choices for 02 thru 18.  Which is correct?  I get 101,110, and 119 with strong signals but can not get HD.  Do I need to add a SWM or something else?

peds48

Expert

• 

32K Messages

11 y مضت

you have a slimline dish with a 5LNB. probably you have a poorly aligned dish. please post your signals readings

You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength". Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners. If you have a DVR it's important to check BOTH satellite tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner on the new post you create, using the example below as a guide. (The example below is only an example and not a form that will appear in your post unless you "cut" and "paste" it.) A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):
Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)
[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]
1-8 # # # # # # # #
9-16 # # # # # # # #
17-24 # # # # # # # #
25-32 # # # # # # # #

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)
[A few HD channels, also beamed from 99 & 103º]
1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA #
9-16 NA # NA # NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)
[Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]
17-24 NA NA NA NA NA # # #
25-32 # # # # # # # #

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]
[Local HD channels for some cities]
1-8 # # # # # # NA NA
9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA # #
17-24 # # # # # # # #
[Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]
[National HD channels]
1-8 # # # # # # # #
9-16 # # # # # # NA NA
[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]
1-8 # # # # # # NA NA
9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA # #
17-24 # # # # # # # #

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))
[National HD channels]
1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
9-16 # # # # # # # #
17-24 # # # # # # # #

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]
[National HD channels]
1-8 # # # # # # # #
9-16 # # # # # # NA NA
17-24 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)
[You'll only see this if you have a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish]
1-8 # # # # # # # #
9-16 # NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

dcd

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

11 y مضت

That's a Slimline 5 dish.  In order to see HD signals with that dish receiver combo, you must have a BBC module attached to the coax input of the receiver.  They are free with a call to Directv.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 y مضت

TechKnow Guide:

I think this is the correct thread to ask this question:

I just installed a new HR24 receiver and somehow I think the incorrect Satellite dish was entered on setup. This is our 2nd HR24. The first was professionally installed and in the process they installed a new dish (all it says is "Slimline" on it and the installer did not leave any documentation) - because of our initial cabling setup, he did put 2 B-Band converters on the incoming cables. The System Report on the 1st HR24 indicates the Satellite dish as "Slimline-3, and the System Test PASSED. The 2nd HR24 that we just installed also has the two B-band converters. However, running the System Test on this 2nd receiver, gave a diagnostic error code of 82-560 (Satellite Dish Configuration Problem). The System Report on this HR24 shows the Satellite dish as "Slimline-5". The instructions on the test screen was to call DirecTV, but if you can solve my problem faster so that I may fix it myself, it would be much appreciated! (That is, how can I change the Slimline-5 to Slimline-3, the error-free one?)

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

43.4K Messages

11 y مضت

Quote: Originally Posted by skettonen 

TechKnow Guide:

I think this is the correct thread to ask this question:

I just installed a new HR24 receiver and somehow I think the incorrect Satellite dish was entered on setup. This is our 2nd HR24. The first was professionally installed and in the process they installed a new dish (all it says is "Slimline" on it and the installer did not leave any documentation) - because of our initial cabling setup, he did put 2 B-Band converters on the incoming cables. The System Report on the 1st HR24 indicates the Satellite dish as "Slimline-3, and the System Test PASSED. The 2nd HR24 that we just installed also has the two B-band converters. However, running the System Test on this 2nd receiver, gave a diagnostic error code of 82-560 (Satellite Dish Configuration Problem). The System Report on this HR24 shows the Satellite dish as "Slimline-5". The instructions on the test screen was to call DirecTV, but if you can solve my problem faster so that I may fix it myself, it would be much appreciated! (That is, how can I change the Slimline-5 to Slimline-3, the error-free one?)

Ideally you should start your own new thread, but your question is easily answered ....

Repeat the Satellite Setup under the Setup Menu.  At the appropriate step, select the correct dish type.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 y مضت

I'll move this to a new thread if you recommend it…in the meantime, I did as you suggested, and changed the satellite setup to Slimline-3...Now, I get errors found on both tuners as follows (it appeared in chart form):

99         101         103    (degrees)

Odd (13V)  x         check          xEven (18V) x         check          x Now what do I do, short of calling DirecTV?
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

43.4K Messages

11 y مضت

Quote: Originally Posted by skettonen 

I'll move this to a new thread if you recommend it…in the meantime, I did as you suggested, and changed the satellite setup to Slimline-3...Now, I get errors found on both tuners as follows (it appeared in chart form):

99         101         103    (degrees)

Odd (13V)  x         check          xEven (18V) x         check          x Now what do I do, short of calling DirecTV?

Please start a new thread.  Tell us more about your other equipment and the signal readings there.  Use this template to post your signal readings ....

Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable).  You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength".  Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners. 

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples.  A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]

1-8    #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

9-16   #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

17-24  #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

25-32  #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)

[Not present with Slimline3 dish. No channels are currently beamed from this satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  #

9-16   NA  #   NA  #   NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)

[Not present with Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  #   #   #

25-32  #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]

1-8    #   #   #   #   #   #   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  #   #

[Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]

[National HD channels]

9-16   #   #   #   #   #   #   NA  NA

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]

1-8    #   #   #   #   #   #   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  #   #

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))

[National HD channels beamed from D12 satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

9-16   #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]

[National HD channels beamed from D10 satellite]

9-16   #   #   #   #   #   #   NA  NA

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)

[You'll only see this if you have a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish]

9-16   #   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 y مضت

Thanks so much for your rapid responses! I will indeed start a new thread with my info. But, I DID finally call DirecTV and the guy ran me though some more tests involving channels 9500+ which indicated my HD channels were OK. This time instead of 6 of 9 red x's there was only one (Even 18V 103 degrees). He didn't seem to think this was unusual, since the 9500+ channels were OK. To me, however, it's a tad disconcerting that the satellite test passes on one receiver, but still gives errors on the other.  I'll report back tomorrow with statistics. Thanks again.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.