Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

D

Sat, Jul 10, 2021 8:18 PM

whole home networking works inconsistently with multiple receivers

First off I would like to avoid rebooting the receivers as I record a lot of different programs daily and it is a rare moment that I would like to interrupt anything overall. I have 3 HR24s, and a Genie G3. Occasionally one unit will become orphaned from the others but oddly enough the orphaned DVR orphans the DVR that orphaned it. And one of the orphaned DVRs is as of late orphaned by every other receiver.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.4K Messages

5 m ago

First check all the cable connections, make sure the connectors are all tight. Then you'll need to reboot all the receivers unfortunately. Do the genie first, then reboot each of the others

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

5 m ago

I'm guessing by Genie G3 you mean the 3rd generation HR54 (or the revised version HR54R1). Whole Home disconnecting is either a data issue in boxes themselves or the cabling in between.

First verify that coax is finger tight to each box.

Also check that power cords are secure and their power source is good.

Understand your concern with downtime during the reboot as I have a similar setup. You don't have to do the setup all at once. But there is a preferred order whether you do them about the same time or in stages. The Genie is done first as works as a server and runs the Whole Home DVR.

If a simple reset doesn't fix it, then alternatively you can do a full power cycle by unplugging power for a minute. Same order as the reset. The difference is this clears any residual memory, which could eliminate any bad data causing the intermittent issue. Though this results in the guide having to download full from the satellites (completed within 24 hours), it should have no affect on recordings already scheduled. Naturally just like regular reset that particular DVR will not record until fully booted back up.

Sorry the suggestions couldn't avoid resets completely. But at least you can do them one at a time around your scheduled recordings.

5 m ago

Good suggestions both of you. Unfortunately I have deficient dish right now and the Genie is the last one in line and only 1 tuner works (which I am ok with in the short term). If I reboot in the prescribed order at least one of the HR24s won't boot up completely without disconnecting the HR54. Which in a sense may work out anyway after reconnecting the HR54 at the end and it gets the last tuner spot so to speak. Occasionally one of the HR24s will flake out and I assume the Genie grabbed up those spots for tuner 2 and tuner 3. Anywho miraculously everything right now is networking correctly. And yes a new dish is needed because I had gotten DirecTV to auth up a gray market HR54 w/o getting a new dish hence the extent dish got maxed out which I did not anticipate. I am thinking the networking issue is an ip address issue that is independent of the tuner conflict issue. But maybe not?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

5 m ago

You have 11 tuners, a standard analog SWM LNB will only supply 8 SWM channels so you need a digital SWM LNB that will provide 13 SWM channels.  This maybe the reason for the Whole Home problems.

(edited)

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.4K Messages

5 m ago

As shannon02 says, you need to start by changing the LNB. You might find that solves all your issues.

Yoiu should have told us about this at the beginning. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

5 m ago

Only 1 tuner works on the Genie with a "deficient" dish? From your description it sounds like your setup cannot support the tuners of all the boxes. If so then that would be the issue for Whole Home not connecting. Remember the Genie is a server since it has 5 tuners.

Did DirecTV in error drop ship you the Genie? If so callback and get a tech out to properly install the system. If within 90 days they should do it at no charge, but after that it would be a $99 service call (or covered if you have the optional protection plan of course).

5 m ago

Read carefully in my post. I got a Genie I acquired not from DirecTV but they allowed me to get it authorized. I am dawdling on getting them to bring me a new dish as we're getting the roof done soon. No worries I have an extensive system with the protection plan with even a second dish for my old Tivos. And ok then 5 tuners on the Genie not 4 huh. Maybe confusing it with old Uverse protocol. And as we speak whole home curiously is workkng fine on the Genie.

5 m ago

shannon02 Thanks for the info.  3 HR24s=6 tuners then the Genie takes for the last two I guess. And takes another 2 if one of the HR24s reboots hence the HR24 has nothing left to access on reboot unless you disconnect the Genie.

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.4K Messages

5 m ago

Assuming you have a slimline dish, you don't need a new dish just a new LNB. Plug and play.

5 m ago

TexasBrit I was just wondering that same thing. I think I do. Thank you!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

5 m ago

Getting a Genie from "grey market" was the problem. More capability than your setup could handle. That is why Genies are supposed to be tech installed to avoid these problems.

As @TexasBrit says, if it is a current slimline dish then fix isn't too bad as need a new LNB.

Yes all regular Genies (HR34, HR44, HR54 or revised HR54R1) have 5 tuners and 1TB recording space.

As a caution, if ever offered do NOT accept an "upgrade" to a Genie-2 (HS17). Though it boasts 7 tuners and a 2TB hard drive, it FORBIDS other receivers from being on the account. That would remove all HR24s, in addition to replacing the Genie, which would be a big downgrade.

5 m ago

Juniper Yeah I tried to finesse it to avoid a tech install and learned the hard way. So my next question: if there is a 13 tuner capacity LNB for the slimline dish is there a higher tuner capacity slimline LNB head? Or if you want that many tuners on one dish now we're talking an MDU set up? I have seen one they're very impressive but God knows how whole home would work in that environment. Honestly 13 is right at the line of perfect for me. And also not overly impressed with the Genie but we'll see how it truly works once I straighten this LNB situation out. I sure don't like the Genie remote. I do like the fact I can Sata dock HDs on the HR24s and build up a movie collection on multiple HDs.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

5 m ago

As of now the limit is 13 SWM channels with a dish SWM LNB but using a standard non SWM LNB and 4 coaxes from it to a SWM16 module will get 16 SWM channels.  AT&T new RC1 account will not allow more then 8 devices.

(edited)

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.4K Messages

5 m ago

Just think of the practical limit as being 13.  With the right configuration and equipment you can get to 30 but this is really designed for MDUs and "professional" installs.

4 m ago

TexasBrit I don't remember the whole home limit on receivers but that is the real limiting factor for me. Who needs 30 tuners on one dish if all the receivers can't be networked together?

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.