Announcements
Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

tx3800's profile
tx3800
#1 Star!
Supersonic 25!

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

Sun, Oct 26, 2014 11:10 PM

Why does my TV turn itself on in the middle of the night?

On random days (about 2-3 times a month) my bedroom LED TV turns itself on between the hours of 2am-6am and no other time.:smileyconfused:  That does wake one up :smileyangry:

:smileyinfo: The TV was described by the DirecTV tech who made the initial setup as really an LED computer monitor rather than a regular TV.  (I got it as a door prize for a contest.)  It is a Colby 23" TFT LEDTV, model 2326 connected to DirecTV by a composite cable provided with the TV.

:smileyinfo: This same tech told me when turning on the unit to press the 'ON' button twice.  To turn off to slide the 'MODE' tab all the way to the right and press the 'PWR' button twice and then to return it all the way to left position..  Those instruction work just fine.

:smileyinfo: I contacted the tech mentioned about who suggested two possible solutions.

1. Replace batteries (done)
  2. Change the HDMI setting control to 'OFF' since I am using composite cables. (done)

And the TV still comes on in the middle of the night.  He speculated that a software download is sent by DirecTV which triggers the monitor to turn on.

HELP!

Responses

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

40.5K Messages

7 y ago

What model DirecTV Receiver/DVR do you have?

Using a Composite Video connection, there's no reason that the LED Monitor should turn itself on randomly.  I'm guessing that there's something wrong with your monitor.

tx3800

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

7 y ago

I have

• Genie HD DVRID:
  • Model: HR34-700

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 y ago

Since the last update this past week my family room tv has also turned itself on at 3am twice.  Direct TV claims there is no way their software can affect the tv but I think she's wrong.  If someone figures out a solution other than switching off the power switch, I'd love to know.  I also have the Genie and nothing has changed since last July except for this new annoyance.

shannon01

Professor

• 

2.8K Messages

6 y ago

If you are using HDMI then HDMI-CEC might be what is turning the TV on but what is triggering it is the problem.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 y ago

My Genie HR54/700 (with a C41W-500) is turning on along with my Sony TV several times a night.  Some times it is both the receiver and the TV. Other times only the TV.  This happens on both the TV connected to the HR54 and the one connected to the C41W-500.  Last night, my wife got up 3 times to turn the main TV off.  I turned it off again at 6:30 and both units turned on again a few minutes after 7 which was about the time I changed channels on the C41W.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 y ago

i got a similar situation. 

When I got home, i heard my TV is on and nobody is at home. 

Is it possible that the neighbers also use direct TV and their remoter turned on the TV?

directv100

Scholar

• 

154 Messages

6 y ago

Yes, 

Same as neighbors transmitting and RECEIVING WiFi signals.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 y ago

This is a follow up to my previous post.  My nearest neighbor is 100 yards away so I doubt that my system is being triggered by him.  DirecTV sent a tech to look at the system.  WE found that presure on the connector to the SATA USB port caused strange and marvelous things to happen.  This problem cleared after a few removals and insertions.  I guess there was some dirt in the connector that inhibited a reliable connection.  Hoping that the TV was being triggered by the HDMI-CEC signal we moved the HDMI cable from port 1 to 4 on the TV.  Of course this would not explain that sometimes the receiver also turned on. I later determined that TV port 4 also responded to HDMI-CEC. 

I have had no problem for the last three weeks.  So what is different?  When I checked the receiver status while we were having trouble, the STB Services Port reported No  Connection.

After our efforts described above, the STB Services Port reported 27177 -- what ever that means.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 y ago

I have the same problem.  My DirecTV receiver turns on by itself in the middle of the night, usually between 12:00 am and 3:00 am.  I turn it off manually because the blue lights are bright, and it turns itself back on several hours later.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 y ago

Where do you live?  I was just curious.  I live on Holder Street in Cypress, California and there is an AT&T truck every other day on my street.  I have no idea why.  But the fact that my receiver turns on all by itself when I make a point of manually turning it off is really annoying.

Christine.

directv100

Scholar

• 

154 Messages

5 y ago

Turn the BOX around

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 y ago

That is not a solution to turn the box around.  All the chords in the back, and the flickering orange light in the back....no thank you.

directv100

Scholar

• 

154 Messages

5 y ago

Got a Point.

How about just UN-Pluging it ?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

14.9K Messages

5 y ago

You can dim or turn off the panel lights by pressing and holding the left arrow then press the right arrow on the front panel it is tricky to do but keep trying, don't know if this works on the Genies but works on the HR24.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 y ago

I do that but I shouldn't have to do that because then the shows you have scheduled to record will not record.

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.