Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

R

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, November 27th, 2022 7:38 AM

DirecTV on Roku, online, or in app, want to record specific channel, date, time - not a show.

I'm in my free trial, thinking about switching from Xfinity.  I *really* don't like the UI when compared to Xfinity.

Is there any way to do the following:

1) Record a specific channel from start time to end time (recording multiple shows or recording a sporting event for 90-minutes past the end to catch overtime.)

2) I'm recording a sporting event, but the guide doesn't have the "AutoExtent" (because I think it isn't recognized as a sport.)  Can I extend the recording past the scheduled end time of the show?  --- you can do this on any show in Xfinity Roku app.

3) When I'm looking at the guide, I want to jump to a specific channel number on the guide, without switching to that channel on the stream.  --- I know I can search, but that doesn't really work well when I just want to move the guide to channel 6, when I'm watching channel 315, or whatever.  The work around I've found is to set a channel in favorites, change to that channel, then go back to guide to see those channels without having to hold up or down through 100 channels.  But that process stinks.

4) If I'm recording a show series, can I set it to only save X number of shows?  --- I sometimes record reruns of shows I like that are on at 3am, so I can watch them during the day, but I don't want to end up with 50 reruns being recorded.  Xfinity allows you to say, "only keep 5 shows."

Thanks everyone!

4) 

detuch254

ACE - New Member

• 

3.2K Messages

2 months ago

1. If you manually record, yes. For sporting events, record the program (s)  airing after the sporting event.  

2. Yes. You need to manually record the programs airing after the sporting event.

3. This feature is exclusive to the DIRECTV STREAM box and its respective remote. If you want such a feature, you should consider picking one up. They run for $49.99 refurbished on the DIRECTV STREAM website. Additionally, the DIRECTV STREAM Osprey Box is much faster than any other streaming device out there for the service.

4. I don’t think so but I may be mistaken. Someone else please fill me in on this.

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

689 Messages

2 months ago

Basically:

1. No.  The DVR is oriented to programs, not channels.  (I don't actually know of a "modern" DVR that act like VCR used to, where you set the channel and the time, but I certainly don't know everything that's out there.)
  2. No.  That is a feature that has been requested for years, and it it unknown why they haven't added it.  The (not wonderful) workaround, as noted (and as suggested by DTV support) is to record the following program(s) also.
  3. As noted, you can do that using the DTV branded streamer.  The other supported streamers (Roku, FireTV, AppleTV) don't have numeric keypads on their remotes, so there would be no way to enter "6".  I personally don't find scrolling in the guide that bad, especially if you use "favorites" to cut out the channels you don't care about.
  4. No.  In general the DVR feature set is pretty basic.  In terms of the maximum number of episodes saved, it is fixed (30 if you have the "unlimited" DVR, 10 if you have the limited one.

The service's features were pretty static when it was owned by AT&T - few if any improvements for years.  Now that it has been part of a separate company for a little over a year, there have been a number of enhanced made.  We can hope that in the reasonable future they will address the limited DVR feature set by enhancing it.  But there is very little chance they will say anything unless/until a feature is actually added, so we will just have to wait and see.

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

@Jrandomuser 

Thanks for the info.  One point I'd debate on is the "no way to enter a 6" because there aren't numbers on the remote.  On Xfinity they pop up an on-screen keyboard.

Please DirecTV -> improve the Roku UI.  I don't want to go back to Xfinity, but these missing features are really annoying.

Again, thanks for the info and fingers crossed they improve things!

Ludwick577

ACE - New Member

• 

2.5K Messages

2 months ago

@ronb1971 Directv Stream box has a remote with a useable number pad. 

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

@Ludwick577 Yes, thank you.  Unfortunately, I currently have 11 (yes 11) TVs in different rooms all with Rokus.  I don't want to drop $1,000 (give or take) replacing that equipment with DirecTV boxes.

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

689 Messages

2 months ago

You are correct - the app on the various commodity streamers could offer virtual keypads. I personally find those (like virtual keyboards) pretty inconvenient, but lacking alternatives, they are possible, and in some cases necessary. (I have a Samsung TV whose remote lacks a keypad - it’s actually very similar to a Roku remote. It offers only a virtual keypad. I’ve never used the TV with an antenna, but I think that would be very irritating.)

Obviously no one out here would know if they have anything like that on their “potential enhancements” list.  If they do, there are a bunch of things I’d personally put higher on the list. That said, depending on whether a particular platform’s toolkit provided direct support for a virtual keypad or if they would have to create that themselves, it might not be that hard to add, especially since they added “EPG by channel number” to all the platforms. 

Ludwick577

ACE - New Member

• 

2.5K Messages

2 months ago

U can buy refurbished Dtv Stream box's from Dtv for 49.99 with a 1 yr warranty. 

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

689 Messages

2 months ago

Still a lot of money for 11 of them, especially if you are happy with the Rokus for other use. But it is the case that it seems unlikely that virtual keypad functionality will be added to the apps anytime soon, so for the time being getting them would be the only way to get it.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.