Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

adgorn's profile
adgorn
#1 Star!
10th stratosphere!
The 5th element!

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Sun, Nov 21, 2021 4:35 PM

Samsung TV / DirecTV Stream issues?

Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with the DTVS app on a new Samsung TV?  After much ado and many months, it seems the problem with DVR playback not working has been fixed (reported extensively on Samsung forums.)  I'm still having regular episodes of the normal streamed content stopping/starting, screen going black for several seconds, delays, etc.

• 

170 Messages

Il y a 5 m

Frankly, my thoughts on much of the issues at hand stems from streaming services that are oversold stressing their data backbone. Named Services just can't maintain a customer base that exceeds their ability to supply.

With multiple Devices and Apps challenging hosts for connections, it's a digital fight for each and every device.

• 

6 Messages

Il y a 5 m

The most stupid thing about this whole conversation is the fact that my original posts to this forum was in hopes of getting Directv Stream to acknowledge a problem with a supported app. Others in the forum made it almost a religious war about external devices (and keeping Directv Stream no matter what hahahaha). Look, if you want to carry your cell phone, camera, MP3 player, and pager then go right ahead and do that. The rest of us would like to consolidate and move forward with technology. And the direction of ALL content and cable providers is based on a app, not hardware. Spectrum: “would you like a box, Apple TV or app?” Me: “app please” Spectrum: “no problem, you are all setup…” 

• 

4 Messages

Il y a 5 m

Reinstalls don't solve the problem. The app has a separate 'feature' that freezes and renders it unresponsive with no recovery regardless of how long you wait. Got into the habit of bailing to the TV's home menu, selecting the Directv app from the list of installed apps and holding it until a side menu appeared, then selecting reinstall. That would clear the freeze but had no effect on the glitches we're discussing. 

To avoid the glitches I finally set up the Samsung remote to control the Apple TV and have just used that device's app with no problems. Prior to this, using this fix was untenable - Apple's remote is meth-level twitchy. Just breathing on it would shoot you 20 minutes into the past or the future or delete the recording or exit the app or launch ICBMs or dog-knows-what. 

It seems the answer for me is to avoid Samsung's Directv app. Other apps for Samsung are fine. Directv apps on other devices are fine. This app used to be fine, but fell apart a few months ago and has been stealing people's sanity and damaging their calm ever since. 

• 

170 Messages

Il y a 5 m

And the Million Dollar Question remains...

Why AT&T's App for Samsung worked and DirecTV's App bites the big one...

• 

170 Messages

Il y a 5 m

In the Google TV case....They acted

Unlike many of the finger pointing issues we're dealing with here.

• 

1 Message

Il y a 5 m

I am having the issue of constant buffering.  It does not buffer on my Roku and netflix doesn't buffer on samsung tv so I have to believe it is the app

Anyone else

Almc

• 

29 Messages

Il y a 5 m

Yes most everyone who has commented about experiencing problems with the DTV Stream app is having buffering, freezing, blackout, and even change of language in the audio when the picture & sound resume. It appears to be a faulty app on Samsung platforms but a few other brands are also affected.  Those who’ve purchased/leased third party devices such as DTV’s streaming box, Roku, and the Apple TV box claim a significant and sometimes total reduction in problems. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

15.6K Messages

Il y a 5 m

Solution is to either get the DIRECTV STREAM box or one of the other streaming boxes (Roku, Firestick, etc.) that the app can download on.

From my own experience, TVs that have built-in apps are just a place holder until you get a dedicated streaming box. Seems to be a mix of not as well compatible with the TVs per programming as well as the hardware doesn't support it well.

• 

5 Messages

Il y a 5 m

Same thing on both of my Samsung TVs, 1 TV is a 2020 abc the other 2021. Both compatible and app is updated. The screen goes black for about 20 seconds, then comes back. it happens randomly. It just started happening in the last 2 months. 

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

2.5K Messages

Il y a 5 m

As has been stated many times in the forums - gets external device if you still want the service. There are no fixes and they have not dedicated any resources to a solution.

• 

5 Messages

Il y a 5 m

That is not  acceptable. I should not have to buy another device. They have an app that is supposed to work.  If they understand that it is affecting enough people they will fix it or lose customers. I work in IT and deal with thing like this and I and my team fix it. We can not tell people to get another device.  If it was happening to Netflix , I think they would fix it. I think direct TV streaming needs to know that they will lose customers to this.

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

2.5K Messages

Il y a 5 m

Nothing anyone here in these forums can do about your disappointment. These forums are only open community forums of subscribers sharing ideas and soe possible solutions  based on our experiences. Contact support and complain to a support rep. That is your direct support methods. Netflix probably would fix it but obviously DirecTV Stream has no intention or the skill set to resolve the issues.

• 

5 Messages

Il y a 5 m

Since I'm new here, can you tell me where DTS says they will not fix it? Also it's not just my disappointment. There are many people disappointed by this. You wrote "These forums are only open community forums of subscribers sharing ideas and soe possible solutions  based on our experiences. " I was hoping someone here had an idea or possible solution. Exactly why I came here. 

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

2.5K Messages

Il y a 5 m

The app has been inferior sine conception a few years ago. There has been many many issues with the app. Of you want to get a good look at the issues just do some searches. Subscribers have been searching for answers for a long time. DirecTV Stream want ever acknowledge issue. They certainly want post solutions to a forum. Never have.

• 

5 Messages

Il y a 5 m

It has been the inferior app since it came out. I signed up for it then and I'm "grandfathered in" to their pricing (which still goes up). It has all the channels I want too. If it was executed correctly it would be THE app to have for having all the regular channels.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.