Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

J

• 

5 Messages

Tue, Apr 5, 2022 10:33 PM

Time zone streaming

My DirectTV streaming guide shows eastern time zone and I'm in Pacific. My address is in the Pacific Time Zone. How do I fix this?

KingGamer

• 

95 Messages

4 months ago

Yes. We should get both Eastern Coast and Western Coast feeds for these channels:

1. Nick Jr. East (HD and SD) and Nick Jr. West (HD and SD) (301 East, and 301-1 West)
  2. Boomerang East (SD only) and Boomerang West (SD only) (298 East, and 298-1 West)
  3. Disney Junior East (HD and SD) and Disney Junior West (HD and SD) (289 East and 289-1 West)
  4. Disney XD East (HD and SD) and Disney XD West (HD and SD) (292 East and 292-1 West)
  5. Freeform East (HD and SD) and Freeform West (SD only) (311 East and 311-1 West)
  6. NickToons East (SD only) and NickToons West (SD only) (302 East and 302-1 West)
  7. TeenNick East (SD only) and TeenNick West (SD only) (303 East and 303-1 West)
  8. TV Land (HD and SD) and TV Land West (HD only) (304 East and 304-1 West)

Channels that have both an Eastern and Western Coast time zone feeds in SD, but should have the Western Coast time zone feed in HD too.

1. Cartoon Network West (297)
  2. Disney Channel West (291)
  3. Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite West (300)

However, licensing deals with the owners of the channels might be needed to fulfill these. Additionally, the Western Coast time zone feeds of the channels that have them should also be on DIRECTV Stream 

(edited)

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

3.3K Messages

4 months ago

The guide for DirecTV Stream is based on the Eastern Time Zone, except local channels and regional sports. There is no West Coast feed. DirecTV satellite service is different.

KingGamer

• 

95 Messages

4 months ago

Ok. But the Western Time Zone feeds for Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, and Cartoon Network should also be in HD, not just SD.

And these are the channels mentioned that should get Western Time Zone feeds:

1. Nick Jr. East (HD and SD) and Nick Jr. West (HD and SD) (301 East, and 301-1 West)
  2. Boomerang East (SD only) and Boomerang West (SD only) (298 East, and 298-1 West)
  3. Disney Junior East (HD and SD) and Disney Junior West (HD and SD) (289 East and 289-1 West)
  4. Disney XD East (HD and SD) and Disney XD West (HD and SD) (292 East and 292-1 West)
  5. Freeform East (HD and SD) and Freeform West (SD only) (311 East and 311-1 West)
  6. NickToons East (SD only) and NickToons West (SD only) (302 East and 302-1 West)
  7. TeenNick East (SD only) and TeenNick West (SD only) (303 East and 303-1 West)
  8. TV Land (HD and SD) and TV Land West (HD only) (304 East and 304-1 West)

(edited)

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

3.3K Messages

4 months ago

There are no western feeds for DirecTV Stream except for locals and regional sports. As for the SD channels are you referring to DirecTV satellite or DirecTV Stream. Some channels may only be broadcast via SD.

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

613 Messages

4 months ago

Is the issue that you want DTV Stream to:

• Offer west coast feeds instead of east coast feeds to users in the west coast time zone?
  • Offer both east and west coast feeds to all users?

There are some live streaming services that do the former.  AFAIK none do the latter.

KingGamer

• 

95 Messages

4 months ago

As for the Western time zone feeds of the channels I mentioned, I refer to DIRECTV Satellite.

(edited)

KingGamer

• 

95 Messages

4 months ago

It would be better for DIRECTV Stream to offer the Western Time Zone feeds instead of the Eastern Time Zone feeds for people who live in the West Coast Time Zone.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

43.7K Messages

4 months ago

I'm not sure why KingGamer keeps beating this dead horse. DirecTV is not going to change their network feeds. DirecTV Stream makes it super easy to record any show you want and view at your leisure. Simply record the East Coast feed and watch it three hours later if you must have the "west coast" feed. Simple. 

• 

5 Messages

4 months ago

Thanks for everyone responding 

chasf00

• 

420 Messages

4 months ago

Where do DStream feeds originate from? 

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

613 Messages

4 months ago

If you are asking where DTV Stream gets their feeds, they are directly from the originating networks (though I don't know what mechanism is used to get the the feed from that source to DTV).  If you are asking where DTV Stream sources their streams to end users, they feed (I assume from a central site) via external CDNs.  I don't know if they use more than one CDN vendor - I am fed from an Akamai server.

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

613 Messages

4 months ago

@litzdog911 - It is true that west coast users can record everything and time shift.  It's also true (I'd assume - I am on the east coast so don't know from personal experience) that doing so is a pain.  It doesn't seem unreasonable for DTV to provide subscribers on the west coast available west coast feeds - some other live streaming services do.  Since not all networks offer a west coast feed, this wouldn't completely solve the time shift issue, but a partial fix is better than none.  (And yes, there are undoubtedly some west coast subscribers that prefer getting the east coast feed.  It's hard to make everyone happy.  Providing both feeds might, but as I noted earlier, none of the live streaming services appear to do this, so there may be additional license fees or other impediments to doing that.)

chasf00

• 

420 Messages

4 months ago

@Jrandomuser 

How does one find the server they get their Dstream from. I'm making the assumption that there are many servers to handle all the requests.

KingGamer

• 

95 Messages

4 months ago

@Jrandomuser, it would work out better if DIRECTV Stream offers the Western time zone feeds instead of the Eastern time zone feeds for people who live in the West coast.

Additionally, for DIRECTV Satellite, these channels that don’t have any should also get Western time zone feeds. And these networks should get Western feeds (same channel number as the Eastern one, but with -1), however, they will only be in HD.

1. A&E West HD (265-1) (HD only)
  2. AMC West HD (254-1) (HD only)
  3. Animal Planet West HD (282-1) (HD only)
  4. Bravo West HD (237-1) (HD only)
  5. Animal Planet CMT West HD (327-1) (HD only)
  6. Discovery West HD (278-1) (HD only)
  7. Disney Junior West HD (289-1) (HD only)
  8. Disney XD West HD (292-1) (HD only)
  9. Food Network West HD (231-1) (HD only)
  10. Freeform West HD (311-1) (HD only)
  11. FX West HD (248-1) (HD only)
  12. HGTV West HD (229-1) (HD only)
  13. HGTV West HD (229-1) (HD only)
  14. History West HD (269-1) (HD only)
  15. Lifetime West HD (252-1) (HD only)
  16. LMN West HD (253-1) (HD only)
  17. Logo West HD (272-1) (HD only)
  18. MTV Classic West HD (336-1) (HD only)
  19. Nick Jr. West HD (301-1) (HD only)
  20. NickToons West HD (302-1) (HD only) (however, the Eastern time zone feed also gets an HD feed)
  21. Oxygen West HD (251-1) (HD only)
  22. Paramount Network West HD (241-1) (HD only)
  23. Syfy West HD (244-1) (HD only)
  24. TeenNick West HD (302-1) (HD only) (however, the Eastern time zone feed also gets an HD feed)
  25. TLC West HD (280-1) (HD only)
  26. Travel Channel West HD (277-1) (HD only)
  27. TruTV West HD (304-1) (HD only)
  28. USA Network West HD (242-1) (HD only)
  29. VH1 West HD (335-1) (HD only)
  30. VICE West HD (271-1) (HD only)
  31. WE tv West HD (260-1) (HD only)

Because they are HD only, they will need HD equipment and an Advanced HD Receiver. 

These 3 channels with Western Time Zone Feeds should also get HD versions of the Western Time Zone Feeds:

1. Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite West (300)
  2. Cartoon Network West (297)
  3. Disney Channel West (291)

However, the HD versions of these Western Time Zone feeds of the channels require HD equipment and an Advanced HD Receiver.

If the Western feeds do come to DIRECTV Stream, they should be from the HD versions.

(edited)

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

613 Messages

4 months ago

@chasf00 - I did a traceroute (well, on Windows a tracert) to stream.directv.com, and it showed Akamai as the end link.  A CDN (content distribution network) is indeed many servers - distributed geographically and generally provided by companies (like Akamai) that specialize in the service of providing access to content to a large and distributed population of end users.  DirecTV sends the streams to Akamai (I assume with appropriate targeting info), and Akamai forwards them to their many distribution points, that then provide them to the (appropriate) DirecTV Stream subscribers.

@KingGamer - this forum is specific to DirecTV Stream.  If you want to converse with DirecTV satellite subscribers, you will need to use one of those forums.  And I'm not sure what you think you can accomplish by repeatedly posting that list here.  We are aware that you want west coast feeds on the west coast, but there's absolutely nothing we can do about it - we're just other customers.  Your best bet to reach someone who can at least pass the request to someone significant is to post to DirecTV's social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) - links are at the bottom of the page.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.